Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Nice season opener win for the younger Colts. Probably one of the better games Ben West has played in a Colts jersey. Stopped 2 penalty shots and all 3 shooters in the SO.
Sale did not disappoint in his debut with 2 A's and a slick move in the SO to win it.

NB were missing probably two of the best players in the league at their positions and will probably dress both tonight in the home opener.

Anson Thornton has a broken pinkie figure; however, he remains at the Coyotes camp until a decision is made. Gotta think that West is the odd man out if Anson is sent back. Hopefully Barrie can find somewhere he can play his OA year in the OHL, if not I'm sure somebody will pick him off waivers.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Yeah just came to say I watched the game last night and Sale was as advertised. A cut above anyone else on the ice this game. His SO winner was a clear pro move compared to the rest of the shooters who looked like they were still in junior mode. Robertson is a talented goalie but he was fully outclassed.

Nice to see Punnett score, he was at my son's camp this summer up here in North Bay so my son was pumped to see him score, even though it tied it up!

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Barrie fans. Which end of the arena does Barrie shoot twice if I wanted to sit behind the net?

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Great article on Cole Beaudoin from the OHL website. 6'2 200lb'er is in shape!

There aren’t many better ways to spend your summer than winning a gold medal.

That’s what Cole Beaudoin got up to this past offseason – in August, he and 12 other OHLers helped Team Canada capture the 2023 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup in Břeclav, Czech Republic and Trenčín, Slovakia.

For many hockey fans, the annual tournament serves as a first look at the top under-18 players in the world ahead of many of their NHL draft-eligible seasons.

For Beaudoin, it served as an opportunity to continue to build upon the momentum he had finished the 2022-23 OHL campaign with – the rookie had climbed up the Barrie Colts lineup throughout the final few months.

Beaudoin began the tournament on the fourth line in Canada’s opening game against Finland. It took just ten seconds for him to notch his first goal.

------

Cole is the son of former Guelph Storm forward Eric Beaudoin, who enjoyed a 16-year professional career after a tenure in the OHL that included winning the J. Ross Robertson Cup in 1998.

Eric offered further insight into his son’s motivation to Peter Robinson of Barrie Today:

“He just really wants to be a hockey player,” he explained. “All he does is work – when his friends are out on a Friday night, he’s at home, resting for the next day’s (work).”

“He’s always by my side, helping me watch video and find little things to work on in practice,” said Cole of his father.

Having a dad who played at a high level can certainly help a player understand the intricacies of the sport on the ice, but it also means knowing how hard you have to work off the ice. Eric – who himself was 6-foot-5, 210 pounds – is undoubtedly aware of how much of an asset the physicality of Cole’s game can be.

Like many athletes, the Beaudoins set up a home gym during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I think that’s kind of where my strength came from,” said Cole. “I was just in the gym a lot, working, getting stronger.”

Since businesses have reopened, the 17-year-old has been working with Adam Bracken, owner of The Fitness Lab.

“Getting faster is what we’re aiming at this year.”

At Colts training camp, the players all participated in a 2.2-kilometre run. Beaudoin won by 34 secods. He also led the way on the bench press machine.

“Obviously, I want to be a big part of this team,” said Beaudoin when asked about taking up a leadership position in the dressing room. “I want to be a huge player.”

“I want to help the team win games and do whatever I can to get the team in the win column.”

Full article: 'Workhorse' Beaudoin primed for breakout season in Barrie - Ontario Hockey League

Reactions: Blake101

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Barrie has to be the most disappointing team this season. They were supposed to challenge for a title with all the horses they have. Marty Williamson should be feeling the heat, but I think Howie is too afraid to make any changes.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
Barrie has to be the most disappointing team this season. They were supposed to challenge for a title with all the horses they have. Marty Williamson should be feeling the heat, but I think Howie is too afraid to make any changes.

I don't think he is afraid to make changes... He just doesn't want to pay for any changes.

Reactions: HolyRoller

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
It was a bit of a rough start in the early season games. They seem to have righted the ship thanks to some excellent goaltending and better team defence.
Some players had very slow starts to the season and have just started to play to expectations.
Had you made your comment midway through the season and they were sub 500 team than I would agree.

Reactions: Blake101

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
That doesn’t seem right. Several teams would not make room for a top 9 player born ‘04, but…released?
3rd round pick in 2020 , excellent skater, maybe lack of ice led to it being his request to be released? Any OHL can sign him now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe there is more to this than "hockey"?
Idk. I’d like to say no.
Just not Marty’s kind of player. He is not elite offensively, and not made for cycling. I’ll guess Picknell is next or already gone

Last edited:

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Matthews signs in Trenton is my prediction. He's from Belleville and they just signed Jodoin from the Spits

OHLWiseGuy

Aug 22, 2023
Matthews signs in Trenton is my prediction. He's from Belleville and they just signed Jodoin from the Spits
Wellington would have to trade him there, as OJHL teams keep the rights of players if they go to the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad