Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

mark hammill

Dec 6, 2023
You’re 100% right Dirty, Mr. Williamson is gonna make the choice based on his observations and what he’s being told and we’re gonna find out very soon.
I have to admit I havent seen the other five or six 2023 draft picks were talking about enough to comment on them all intelligently so I won’t go there.
As for the rebuilding we’ve been talking about, I‘d cut deep and try for keeping a solid young core for as long as possible.
We‘ll talk again when Mr. Williamson has made his choice, thanks Dirty, good talk.!!

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You’re 100% right Dirty, Mr. Williamson is gonna make the choice based on his observations and what he’s being told and we’re gonna find out very soon.
I have to admit I havent seen the other five or six 2023 draft picks were talking about enough to comment on them all intelligently so I won’t go there.
As for the rebuilding we’ve been talking about, I‘d cut deep and try for keeping a solid young core for as long as possible.
We‘ll talk again when Mr. Williamson has made his choice, thanks Dirty, good talk.!!

I honestly think Williamson has cut deep. Possibly the oldest roster in the league last season to one that is predominantly 17-18. A very quick re-tool imo.

To answer a previous question of what type of team is Williamson trying to build; a team that can cycle like a decade ago but with more high end skill. That has gone out of style a bit. If Williamson pulls it off, very few teams will be built to stop him.

Last edited:

mark hammill

Dec 6, 2023
No doubt the game is changing, I think this pick he’s about to make with these young guys (2007) will say a lot as to the direction he is heading.
The players are changing, they have to, it fine to have all the finesse and fancy stuff, that’s good for everybody and good for the game.. The Law may also come into effect in regards to the fighting etc.
My observation is that these young guys are fantastic Skaters, good stick handlers etc. etc. many are also BIG and TOUGH. Those guys are very intimidating on the ice and it shows up in the corners etc.
That’s where I see the game going , hard to compete against 6’3”, 205 lb. Fast, tough good hockey sense etc. if your of the same skill set but are 5’ 10” 165lbs. The physicality matters and that is going to create a bigger divide.
What do I know!?. We’ll see in the next few weeks at the most!

Reactions: RB76 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The big skilled forward has been selected by many teams by pick 30 the last 2-3 drafts. It came on fast in the central in particular, possibly maybe probably after teams watched a young-ish Battalion team resembling pro football receivers two seasons ago.

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
The 07 draft year was weak overall. Looking at the pipeline Legostaev (playing Ottawa JrB) and Harmon (playing in the OJ) are the likely bets. Lego is bigger and Marty is an old school big forward guy, although Harmon is the better hockey player. Goodfellow and Black didn't perform in junior and I think both are playing u18, so unlikely to make a big splash with the Colts. Not sure why they didn't keep Pickell as he's been on fire with Pickering since he left and now is playing in the World Jr A championship

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The 07 draft year was weak overall. Looking at the pipeline Legostaev (playing Ottawa JrB) and Harmon (playing in the OJ) are the likely bets. Lego is bigger and Marty is an old school big forward guy, although Harmon is the better hockey player. Goodfellow and Black didn't perform in junior and I think both are playing u18, so unlikely to make a big splash with the Colts. Not sure why they didn't keep Pickell as he's been on fire with Pickering since he left and now is playing in the World Jr A championship

Good for Picknell, hope he gets another shot in the OHL somewhere.
Makes me wonder how Forlin is doing

WorkHardEveryShift

Aug 23, 2021
Good for Picknell, hope he gets another shot in the OHL somewhere.
Makes me wonder how Forlin is doing

Hes playing in the OJ. 25pts in 29 games on a weak Niagara team but must be looking at the college route since he didn't come to camp this year

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Happy New Year Colts Country.

I haven't been out to as many games as I would have liked to this season as many seem to conflict with kids hockey schedule. Here are some comments/observations as we move towards the trade deadline.

1. They really miss Akey, Frasca and Thornton. All three would have been difference makers in the W column this season.
2. Overall, I love the compete of our youngsters. I think this team is going to be solid next season
3. We need to get what we can for Punnett & give him an opportunity to win. He has been a great colt the past three and a half seasons, he deserves a chance to win before his career comes to an end.
4. Sale is a great player but he needs scorers to be successful. Hopefully he can be moved for some futures at the deadline.
5. Goals have been hard to come by but the team is playing great team D keeping our goals against down (other than a few really bad outings).

I say get what you can for Punnett, Sale & Thornton & keep the team lower in the standings. I would like to see the squeak into a playoff round and get some playoff experience under their belt for some of the young guys who haven't played in the playoffs before. If not, I guess a lottery spot will not be the end of the world, the kids will have a lot of time to train in the off season for what looks to be a great core of players coming back next season.

Projected lines for 2024-2025
Jelsma-Beaudoin-Jodoin
York-Patterson-Moses
Grisolia-Wigle-N. Newton/Lowe
Stewart-J. Newton-2008#1/Lowe

Aitcheson-Akey
Brauti-Savard
Handsor/Tiller-Passmore/2008#2

Hillebrandt/Hrebik/walkon/trade

I like the looks of our D. I still think the team will need some more scorers but they can add that through trades if they pick up some assets this season at the deadline. Will also be good to see how Moses/Patterson/the Newtons progress and to see Beaudoin just own the ice next season.

ANyway, those are just some thoughts! Hope the colts continue to grow this season and i hope Marty does a good job at the deadline building on what is already shaping up to be a great core of 06/07 born players.

Reactions: MeafAttack

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Happy New Year Colts Country.

I haven't been out to as many games as I would have liked to this season as many seem to conflict with kids hockey schedule. Here are some comments/observations as we move towards the trade deadline.

1. They really miss Akey, Frasca and Thornton. All three would have been difference makers in the W column this season.
2. Overall, I love the compete of our youngsters. I think this team is going to be solid next season
3. We need to get what we can for Punnett & give him an opportunity to win. He has been a great colt the past three and a half seasons, he deserves a chance to win before his career comes to an end.
4. Sale is a great player but he needs scorers to be successful. Hopefully he can be moved for some futures at the deadline.
5. Goals have been hard to come by but the team is playing great team D keeping our goals against down (other than a few really bad outings).

I say get what you can for Punnett, Sale & Thornton & keep the team lower in the standings. I would like to see the squeak into a playoff round and get some playoff experience under their belt for some of the young guys who haven't played in the playoffs before. If not, I guess a lottery spot will not be the end of the world, the kids will have a lot of time to train in the off season for what looks to be a great core of players coming back next season.

Projected lines for 2024-2025
Jelsma-Beaudoin-Jodoin
York-Patterson-Moses
Grisolia-Wigle-N. Newton/Lowe
Stewart-J. Newton-2008#1/Lowe

Aitcheson-Akey
Brauti-Savard
Handsor/Tiller-Passmore/2008#2

Hillebrandt/Hrebik/walkon/trade

I like the looks of our D. I still think the team will need some more scorers but they can add that through trades if they pick up some assets this season at the deadline. Will also be good to see how Moses/Patterson/the Newtons progress and to see Beaudoin just own the ice next season.

ANyway, those are just some thoughts! Hope the colts continue to grow this season and i hope Marty does a good job at the deadline building on what is already shaping up to be a great core of 06/07 born players.
no imports in your lineup ? Michael Nygard [ projected NHL 1st round pick} whom Barrie drafted this year quite possibly will make the jump and would be a top 6 winger.

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I would love to see Punnett return to Saginaw...it would mean losing Loukus to either you guys or another team but Punnett would fill a big hole for us and playing for the Memorial Cup would be a nice reward for his career in Barrie. Plus Drinkell loves doing deals with his old stomping ground.

Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I would love to see Punnett return to Saginaw...it would mean losing Loukus to either you guys or another team but Punnett would fill a big hole for us and playing for the Memorial Cup would be a nice reward for his career in Barrie. Plus Drinkell loves doing deals with his old stomping ground.
i think saginaw is prioritizing donovan

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
I agree with Meaf I think Sale will be in the AHL, can't see them sending him back to the O.

@MeafAttack of course if Nygard comes over he would be welcomed. We are in need of guys that can put the puck in the net.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
hes not even a point a game in the ohl.....the ahl is a hard league to play in, kids dont play unless they are special.
I don't disagree about the A being a hard league to play in but Sale is not a good fit in Barrie IMO. He is a great player, with a ton of skill but he is a playmaker, not a sniper. Barrie doesn't really have any goal scorers for him to set up so he is basically useless here. I think he will be in the A next year. If Kulich can play there, so can Sale.

Reactions: MeafAttack

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Thanks

Will he make the NHL
That will depend on next few years. Punnett is a warrior type D-man, team first guy. If he trains hard and increases foot speed it is not out of the question. He will definitely need some seasoning and a few years of really hard work to make it to the NHL.

horner

May 22, 2007
That will depend on next few years. Punnett is a warrior type D-man, team first guy. If he trains hard and increases foot speed it is not out of the question. He will definitely need some seasoning and a few years of really hard work to make it to the NHL.
Iam a leaf fan so a
Beniot type of dmanl

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia