Barkov or Matthews?

Barkov or Matthews?

• Total voters

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It took Barkov 5 seasons to reach the offensive output Matthews did in his second with significantly more ice-time lmao...yes, offensively speaking, pretty good bet that Matthews outscores Barkov going forward.

There's no need to get condescending about it.
And Barkov is still not playing anywhere close to his potential as well, even with the 5 years time in, just FYI.
He doesn't grasp the concept of the direct approach of NA hockey. He doesn't shoot, he doesn't drive the net, he doesn't like to have the puck on his stick at all, which means he doesn't use his size nearly as much as he could. Even with that, he still almost went a PPG last season.
Some players really have the European style ingrained in them, and they don't use their tools nearly as much as they should for NA hockey. Even though it's been 5 years, he still hasn't made huge changes in that area. He's gotten a little better, but not nearly as much as you should to come close to reaching his potential.
But, with the small sample size of one game, he seems to be improving that area of adjustment to a more NA style of game. So his offensive totals could shoot up.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
There's no need to get condescending about it.
And Barkov is still not playing anywhere close to his potential as well, even with the 5 years time in, just FYI.
He doesn't grasp the concept of the direct approach of NA hockey. He doesn't shoot, he doesn't drive the net, he doesn't like to have the puck on his stick at all, which means he doesn't use his size nearly as much as he could. Even with that, he still almost went a PPG last season.
Some players really have the European style ingrained in them, and they don't use their tools nearly as much as they should for NA hockey. Even though it's been 5 years, he still hasn't made huge changes in that area. He's gotten a little better, but not nearly as much as you should to come close to reaching his potential.
But, with the small sample size of one game, he seems to be improving that area of adjustment to a more NA style of game. So his offensive totals could shoot up.

Would direct people to our game against Tampa to see how dominant he was, looked like a top 3 player in the league for the most part even with no points that game.

Btw for people saying ohh it took him this and this long to get that amount of points, keep in mind that he played with Brad boyes and freaking sean bergenheim his first year or two. Had to carry a old Jagr and a bunch of other not so good players over the years.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Would direct people to our game against Tampa to see how dominant he was, looked like a top 3 player in the league for the most part even with no points that game.

Btw for people saying ohh it took him this and this long to get that amount of points, keep in mind that he played with Brad boyes and freaking sean bergenheim his first year or two. Had to carry a old Jagr and a bunch of other not so good players over the years.

An old Jagr was a not so good player? He had 66 points in 79 games when Barkov only played in 66 games. His points per game was barely worse than Barkov's in nearly a full season.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews is gonna come back and win this, as he should.

7g/10pts in 4 games. craziness

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If Barkov wins this poll it essentially confirms the anti-Leafs bias on this site, ridiculous numbers for Matthews right now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If Barkov wins this poll it essentially confirms the anti-Leafs bias on this site, ridiculous numbers for Matthews right now.

since AM34 came into the league

Matthews: 81g/142pts in 148 games (0.96ppg)
Barkov: 48g/130pts in 142 games (0.92ppg)

its close, but matthews has to take it with that massive goal advantage. also he plays 3 mins less per night, and its his first 2 seasons vs barkovs 4th and 5th

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I like both players. I think Matthews has higher upside is a better player at his position.

This is just preference for Matthews, I have no problem with Barkov - I like him a lot.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
since AM34 came into the league

Matthews: 81g/142pts in 148 games (0.96ppg)
Barkov: 48g/130pts in 142 games (0.92ppg)

its close, but matthews has to take it with that massive goal advantage. also he plays 3 mins less per night, and its his first 2 seasons vs barkovs 4th and 5th
Does it matter that pretty much all of those 3 minutes are pk time or double shifting with the 4th line in defensive zone situations?

Reactions: drktmplr12

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Does it matter that pretty much all of those 3 minutes are pk time or double shifting with the 4th line in defensive zone situations?

what about nearly an extra min of PP? ignored that conveniently

Barkov: 20:56 (16:11 ES/ 3:11 PP)

Matthews: 17:51 (15:31 ES/ 2:19 PP)

so its a minute and a half more at es/pp. but if we are gonna ignore the shorthanded time, we gotta take out the 5 goals barkov has scored shorthanded right?

ES/PP production
81g/142pts in 148 games matthews vs 43g/127pts in 142 games Barkov

Reactions: phillipmike

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
what about nearly an extra min of PP? ignored that conveniently

Barkov: 20:56 (16:11 ES/ 3:11 PP)

Matthews: 17:51 (15:31 ES/ 2:19 PP)

so its a minute and a half more at es/pp. but if we are gonna ignore the shorthanded time, we gotta take out the 5 goals barkov has scored shorthanded right?

ES/PP production
81g/142pts in 148 games matthews vs 43g/127pts in 142 games Barkov

You would cherry pick the stat the favors the home player.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I like both players. I think Matthews has higher upside is a better player at his position.

This is just preference for Matthews, I have no problem with Barkov - I like him a lot.

Id probably have Barkov hovering around #10 or so for top C, but he just doesnt have the offensive upside of AM34.
He is a solid #1C, an all star at that. but he isnt a franchise talent like matthews imho

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You would cherry pick the stat the favors the home player.

comparing matthews totals vs barkovs totals since matthews came in the league is cherry picking?

you clearly dont know what that means eh? im not talking about most goals on a tuesday after a road game that ended in less that 5 goals

also matthews>bergeron

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
comparing matthews totals vs barkovs totals since matthews came in the league is cherry picking?

you clearly dont know what that means eh? im not talking about most goals on a tuesday after a road game that ended in less that 5 goals

also matthews>bergeron

You finish with your strongest argument, the one naturally favoring your player.

By the way, you designed the poll poorly from the start... also to boost your hero. Surprising.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Id probably have Barkov hovering around #10 or so for top C, but he just doesnt have the offensive upside of AM34.
He is a solid #1C, an all star at that. but he isnt a franchise talent like matthews imho
Is Kopitar a franchise talent? What about Bergeron?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
It took Barkov 5 seasons to reach the offensive output Matthews did in his second with significantly more ice-time lmao...yes, offensively speaking, pretty good bet that Matthews outscores Barkov going forward.

The F*** you on about?
Barkov's 3rd season is pretty much comparable to Matthews' 2nd
59 in 66 vs 63 in 62 quite comparable.
Besides at least Barkov's PPG season was during (about) a full season.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Barkov has somehow become one of the more overrated players on here.
He's very very very good, but people put him on the level of actual franchise C's are out to lunch.

Reactions: Joffrey Baratheon

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The F*** you on about?
Barkov's 3rd season is pretty much comparable to Matthews' 2nd
59 in 66 vs 63 in 62 quite comparable.
Besides at least Barkov's PPG season was during (about) a full season.

One is clearly better, lol. Barkov played with better wingers too.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Barkov has somehow become one of the more overrated players on here.
He's very very very good, but people put him on the level of actual franchise C's are out to lunch.

Despite my posts ITT I really like him too I just get annoyed at the super analytics crowd. Not talking about panther fans here I just can't stand it. They dominate baseball and are starting to dominate basketball discussions too. Goals matter and so do RBIs. Barkov can absolutely be Bergeron or Kopitar or maybe better but 40 goals as a rookie trumps that. Point blank end of discussion. Matthews puts up 45 if he stays healthy last year and will get 50 barring Injuries this year. That's what makes the game fun and that's what wins a lot of games.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
One is clearly better, lol. Barkov played with better wingers too.

Jagr does not touch 66 points with out Barkov on his line.

Or lets talk about the times he had to carry the superstar Seth Griffith and still going PPG for 25+ games. Or the fact that he had the studs in Brad Boyes and Sean Bergenheim on his line to start his career.

Lets ignore the fact that he even said that defense was his biggest priority coming in to the league hence the lack of production

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Despite my posts ITT I really like him too I just get annoyed at the super analytics crowd. Not talking about panther fans here I just can't stand it. They dominate baseball and are starting to dominate basketball discussions too. Goals matter and so do RBIs. Barkov can absolutely be Bergeron or Kopitar or maybe better but 40 goals as a rookie trumps that. Point blank end of discussion. Matthews puts up 45 if he stays healthy last year and will get 50 barring Injuries this year. That's what makes the game fun and that's what wins a lot of games.
Goals matter. But there is a lot more to the game then goals. There is preventing goals and helping other people score goals, two things that Barkov is elite at. You can't discount two extremely important factors of the game and expect people to take it in stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad