Barkov finally became a playoffs performer, leader for the Panthers

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Experience is the main thing. Some guys need the experience of being in the playoffs. Being a playoff performer is certainly a learning curve not many players get from the get go. Adjustments, tight checking, and more importantly being able to adapt are key things players have to learn.

Some guys it takes years before they get it. JT Miller had 4 goals in 64 playoff games and since joining the Canucks he’s had 1 terrific playoff run and looks like he’s repeating that for this run.

Obviously there are some guys who are just never gonna get it (Marner, Tatar, Seguin) etc

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just for the record, playoff reputations are made in the 3rd and (really mostly) 4th rounds, so that whole reputation will kinda hinge on how it all ends for Florida. If they win the Cup or give a good account of themselves in the Finals (like take it to 6-7 games), it will stick. Otherwise it will just be forgotten.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't buy that. He is only 30, if you can't re-establish yourself in an another system, then you weren't that good to begin with.
He's only ever played in free-wheeling offensive oriented systems with little defensive structure. Maybe that's a knock on him, but he still scored 115 points in this league, and 80+ or paced for 80+ multiple times. Brunette, Quenneville, Boughner, he played in basically the same system for most of his career. Gallant was a little more defensive oriented, but nothing like Maurice.

It's also a well known fact that forwards start declining in their 30's or late 20's.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Don't get me wrong the guy is very good, but i was only talking about the Tkachuk trade. I think it was a move most GM:s in the league would have pulled in his shoes too.

Most were critical of the deal for Florida, and that it was a total fleece by the Flames. Now it’s a deal that any GM would make? :huh: Nah, that’s a deal a lot of GMs wouldn’t make, taken in all accounts then.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Most were critical of the deal for Florida, and that it was a total fleece by the Flames. Now it’s a deal that any GM would make? :huh: Nah, that’s a deal a lot of GMs wouldn’t make, taken in all accounts then.
I've never met or seen anyone who was critical of that deal, for the FLA return.

For me the high motor of Tkachuk was always evident to be more valuable than the pylon/floater Huberdeau is, and it's even more evident now when he is in a bad team.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I've never met or seen anyone who was critical of that deal, for the FLA return.

For me the high motor of Tkachuk was always evident to be more valuable than the pylon/floater Huberdeau is, and it's even more evident now when he is in a bad team.
Seriously, there were many, many people using the word “fleeced” when describing the deal Zito made.
Granted this was mostly before Calgary extended Hubie to his current contract.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

The main pieces were two players on expiring contracts.
I thought it was robbery. After signing both to long term deals it was still the same robbery but the Flames got players with term. Unfortunately they are not as good as in Florida.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The main pieces were two players on expiring contracts.
I thought it was robbery. After signing both to long term deals it was still the same robbery but the Flames got players with term. Unfortunately they are not as good as in Florida.
Two players that Florida wouldn’t have been able to keep both of, due to the cap.
Zito’s deal was brilliant for the Panthers future.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Two players that Florida wouldn’t have been able to keep both of, due to the cap.
Zito’s deal was brilliant for the Panthers future.
At that time Huby was a star player and Trelliving made the best out of a weak position.
Signing both, Huby and Weegar to long term deals added value to that deal…at that point in time.
So it was a huge W (although you give up a lot of value which makes it seem like you lost) for Florida and a small L turning into a small W for the Flames.
Hindsight being 20/20 it now feels different.
16.75m for both players…with Florida tax still 14m was not possible.
Getting MT for 9.5m x 8 was huge…and he was younger.

teugen

cats on a rampage
Dec 30, 2015
most posts are now about tkachuk, huberdeau trade..... expected nothing less lol...
even in in his own threads, Barkov is underrated.... lol
Yea, poor guy gets even his own appreciation thread hijacked by other players. Why do we not like to talk about this guy?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
It’s great to see a player evolving but keep in points 7 of those points were against a pretty mediocre team, let see in the 3rd round before getting excited

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just for the record, playoff reputations are made in the 3rd and (really mostly) 4th rounds, so that whole reputation will kinda hinge on how it all ends for Florida. If they win the Cup or give a good account of themselves in the Finals (like take it to 6-7 games), it will stick. Otherwise it will just be forgotten.

Yeah people really think Drai& McDavid are okay playoff performers..

Florida was the laughing stock of hf that offseason.
Tkachuk was supposed to be just a 70 point player without Gaudreau

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Yeah people really think Drai& McDavid are okay playoff performers..

Florida was the laughing stock of hf that offseason.
Tkachuk was supposed to be just a 70 point player without Gaudreau
That's funny, would think most people would be on the same page that trading an aging stud exiting his prime for a young new stud entering his prime is a good move regardless of the situation.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
They almost never played together 5v5, same with Chucky, Barkov has boosted many players, but those two are not great examples for that idea.
Huberdeau 78% off. zone starts and 69% off. zone faceoffs his 115pt year, the Barkov is strong in this one :P

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
He was great last playoffs too, his defensive game was incredible. I know people don't like to hear that, but it was a main reason they beat the Leafs. He completely shut Matthews down.
To be fair, it hasn't proven to be too difficult to shut Matthews down in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad