Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I thought of that regarding your first point, but this isn't like getting a cup of coffee...Just coming up with plans, submitting a bid costs millions of dollars, and tons of man hours so you can NOT win the bid? It's not like they can use much of the work they've done here on a different site. They basically have to start from scratch.

Who knows. Maybe NYFC likes the publicity from this whole process. Maybe they are really trying to win. Maybe they are doing the Isles and Sterling a favor and in return, Mets /Sterling help them secure willets point.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
How do you know about these 150 events? I never saw that officially reported anywhere.

Ledecky has referenced a few times, and from what I read from Baumbach and Randi Marshall's tweets, the Oakview speaker references the 41 home games (hopefully more) and 150 events. I'm going to attribute that to the partnership with Arena Alliance/Irving Azoff

I could be incorrect though.

I jumped the gun over the summer with what I was told, and it took longer.

From what I have heard, perhaps NYCFC knows they don't have a chance. There wasn't much of a focus on community concern, and traffic for that matter, where Oak View broached that and offered some high level plans. Their proposal is somewhat flexible and would be similar to what they propose at Willets. Part of yesterday was showing an ability to work with the state, in the hopes that they will put some pressure on the city. Again, this is me mapping what I've heard. I believe they have a focus on September to begin construction, moving from Barclay's there. I also believe they feel the arena would open before the track rennovation at Belmont is complete, because it is secondary believe it or not. Again, grain of salt.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Don't sleep on the importance of that. They not only talked about Malkin, but also his company, Value Retail, and that could be a very big thing. One thing I suspected is that Malkin would use the site for the first of his shopping villages in the U.S., and between the shopping area being called a shopping village, it's layout, and the rep from Sterling encouraging people to look up Value Retail on the web, that could be what's happening. These shopping villages are shopping tourism destination (the one outside London is one of the most visited tourist destinations in England and drew 6.4 million people last year). These are not outlet centers as we know them here; instead they are home to high-end designers and retailers offering huge discounts on luxury goods. Market isn't us, but tourists visiting NYC. If that's what is happening, potential is to draw a LOT more visitors to the site than the arena or anything else, and could help justify the full time LIRR service. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as this whole thing works itself out.

I really like this post. I completely agree with most all you wrote here. Malkin is involved with some very high end vendors at his shopping plazas. They're actually called "shopping villages" and all feel like small European villages. Take a look:

Our Villages

Would be cool as heck if the shopping element of the development looked like this even if they had more blue-collar shops and restaurants. Brands like Armani just don't fit at Belmont as I can't see anyone in the local area shopping there nor people coming in from other areas (much less taking the LIRR) to Belmont for high-end shopping. It's just not enough of a destination.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Don't sleep on the importance of that. They not only talked about Malkin, but also his company, Value Retail, and that could be a very big thing. One thing I suspected is that Malkin would use the site for the first of his shopping villages in the U.S., and between the shopping area being called a shopping village, it's layout, and the rep from Sterling encouraging people to look up Value Retail on the web, that could be what's happening. These shopping villages are shopping tourism destination (the one outside London is one of the most visited tourist destinations in England and drew 6.4 million people last year). These are not outlet centers as we know them here; instead they are home to high-end designers and retailers offering huge discounts on luxury goods. Market isn't us, but tourists visiting NYC. If that's what is happening, potential is to draw a LOT more visitors to the site than the arena or anything else, and could help justify the full time LIRR service. Just something to keep in the back of your mind as this whole thing works itself out.
Great stuff and I agree that we should look to Malkin. When Belmont was first brought up and retail was mentioned, I brought up the fact that one of our owners just happens to develop and run some of the highest end, most successful outlet shopping centers in the world. Maybe he doesn't feel this is the site for what he does, but if I'm not mistaken his other projects are all on the outskirts of major world cities. So Belmont would seem to fit his model.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Exactly --

That game was awful to be at. Splurged for a suite too! That entire final sequence was terribly played by everyone. The 4th line tried to throw the puck in front of the Flyers goal instead of just eating the clock in the corner, then Halak gives up a brutal goal. Lee and Tavares connected for a sick face off play to tie the game up moments earlier if I'm remembering the order of the goals correctly.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
That game was awful to be at. Splurged for a suite too! That entire final sequence was terribly played by everyone. The 4th line tried to throw the puck in front of the Flyers goal instead of just eating the clock in the corner, then Halak gives up a brutal goal. Lee and Tavares connected for a sick face off play to tie the game up moments earlier if I'm remembering the order of the goals correctly.
They actually scored not one, but two goals with the goalie pulled. The team tries extra hard to clinch the playoffs and then this happens. So insanely deflating. Truly a classic Islanders moment. And that video doesn't even show the amazing looks on the bench.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

That's how I remember it. And that point gives them home ice against the Caps.

No one else played it well but that goal is 100% Jaro.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Residents, Lawmakers Weigh In On Proposals For Belmont Park Redevelopment

'Two proposals have been introduced as part of the revitalization of Belmont Park on Long Island...

One is from the New York Islanders and includes building a stadium along with retail space, a hotel, and an innovation center that residents would develop.

The second is from New York City Football Club, and calls for a stadium and retail space in addition to a community park.

Assemblywoman Michaelle Solages, who represents the area, said residents are not happy about either proposal.

“We are very apprehensive about sports fans coming to our neighborhoods, park in our streets, and litter and do other activities that we don’t want to have in front of our children,.. We’re looking for sustainable, high-tech industries and bring jobs — good paying jobs — not hot dogs and hamburgers.”

Residents are split over the proposed plans.
“I really feel that the arena project is a great opportunity for local residents to bring jobs and economic boost into the community, for the Islanders to have permanent home on Long Island where they belong,” one man said...

“We should have been given an opportunity not just to listen but to have a healthy conversation,” said one woman. “This is going to affect our homes.”...'

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Residents, Lawmakers Weigh In On Proposals For Belmont Park Redevelopment

'Two proposals have been introduced as part of the revitalization of Belmont Park on Long Island...

One is from the New York Islanders and includes building a stadium along with retail space, a hotel, and an innovation center that residents would develop.

The second is from New York City Football Club, and calls for a stadium and retail space in addition to a community park.

Assemblywoman Michaelle Solages, who represents the area, said residents are not happy about either proposal.

“We are very apprehensive about sports fans coming to our neighborhoods, park in our streets, and litter and do other activities that we don’t want to have in front of our children,.. We’re looking for sustainable, high-tech industries and bring jobs — good paying jobs — not hot dogs and hamburgers.”

Residents are split over the proposed plans.
“I really feel that the arena project is a great opportunity for local residents to bring jobs and economic boost into the community, for the Islanders to have permanent home on Long Island where they belong,” one man said...

“We should have been given an opportunity not just to listen but to have a healthy conversation,” said one woman. “This is going to affect our homes.”...'
Apprehensive about sports fans in your neighborhood? You live next to a race track for God’s sake!

bronxirish

Oct 24, 2013
I really like this post. I completely agree with most all you wrote here. Malkin is involved with some very high end vendors at his shopping plazas. They're actually called "shopping villages" and all feel like small European villages. Take a look:

Our Villages

Would be cool as heck if the shopping element of the development looked like this even if they had more blue-collar shops and restaurants. Brands like Armani just don't fit at Belmont as I can't see anyone in the local area shopping there nor people coming in from other areas (much less taking the LIRR) to Belmont for high-end shopping. It's just not enough of a destination.
This is very much like Woodbury Commons upstate. It has very high end retailers. I used to rent cars to people in Manhattan all day long who were driving up there solely to shop. Every single one of them was from abroad. I had no idea how people from Japan, Germany, Australia et al knew about Woodbury Commons. Belmont would be half the trip.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
“litter and do other activities that we don’t want to have in front of our children”

This is one of the most hilarious quotes I have ever seen. Gives me no hope for humanity.
What an idiot lol

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Michaelle Solages wasted no time and pulled out the “children are in danger!” card. Islanders should send Sparky as an emissary. He can invite Solanges to drop the puck on kids night.

In all seriousness, I can understand community apprehension about a sports arena suddenly being placed near one’s home. But in this case, there already is one. This is just a natural extension of the current land and how it is used.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtim1988

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Michaelle Solages wasted no time and pulled out the “children are in danger!” card. Islanders should send Sparky as an emissary. He can invite Solanges to drop the puck on kids night.

In all seriousness, I can understand community apprehension about a sports suddenly being placed near one’s home. But in this case, there already is one. This is just a natural extension of the current land and how it is used.
That's rich since her brother Carrie ( the Nassau legislator) stands indicted for endangering the welfare of a minor as part of a domestic abuse incident that happened when he got pissed off when his ex-fiance hid his weed.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
“litter and do other activities that we don’t want to have in front of our children”

This is one of the most hilarious quotes I have ever seen. Gives me no hope for humanity.
What an idiot lol

Good thing her opinion is worthless and NYS couldn't care less.

I love how the Elmont and local reps keep harping on "high-tech and good paying jobs." How would this benefit the locals? Most of those employees working at a "high-tech" firm would be commuting to Elmont. How does that benefit the locals? Your average Elmont / Floral Park resident isn't going to land a high-paying job, even if Amazon came to Belmont.

Last edited:

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
That's rich since her brother Carrie ( the Nassau legislator) stands indicted for endangering the welfare of a minor as part of a domestic abuse incident that happened when he got pissed off when his ex-fiance hid his weed.

That POS has also been anti-Isles and leading the charge for AMAZON to come to Belmont. Nassau politics in a nutshell here.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

I just called her out on twitter. She said "Dear Sir, your opinion is noted. Happy Holidays." Amazing how our tax dollars employ these idiots.

How much does a "state legislator" / Assemblywomen make a year?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Good thing her opinion is worthless and NYS couldn't care less.

I love how the Elmont and local reps keep harping on "high-tech and good paying jobs." How would this benefit the locals? Most of those employees working at a "high-tech" firm would be commuting to Elmont. How does that benefit the locals? Your average Elmont / Floral Park resident isn't going to land a high-paying job, even if Amazon came to Belmont.
Absolutely wrong about Floral Park residents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad