Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone going to this presentation in Belmont on Sunday, if so, can you take pics/videos?

Also if you can keep isles fans from behaving like asshats in front of the opposition that would probably be best for our cause..

Agreed and agreed. They scheduled it during football so as much as I'd like to go, no dice. Sunday morning would've been better.

And if I went I'd be half going to give Ledecky my resume.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For those of you even worried a little bit about the Isles moving to Seattle I'm telling you not to. They are getting an expansion team. For as good as Belmont looks, an expansion team for Seattle is even more of a lock.

If Belmont doesn't work out then be concerned with Houston and Quebec, but we're aways from that right now.

Reactions: Steve55

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
For those of you even worried a little bit about the Isles moving to Seattle I'm telling you not to. They are getting an expansion team. For as good as Belmont looks, an expansion team for Seattle is even more of a lock.

If Belmont doesn't work out then be concerned with Houston and Quebec, but we're aways from that right now.

The good news is that the people working to get an expansion team for Seattle are the same ones working to get Belmont for the Isles. And their record is of getting things done. Contrast Wang whose strategy to get things done was to alienate the people whose approval he needed to get what he wanted.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The good news is that the people working to get an expansion team for Seattle are the same ones working to get Belmont for the Isles. And their record is of getting things done. Contrast Wang whose strategy to get things done was to alienate the people whose approval he needed to get what he wanted.
Wang is so incompetent. If we actually get this thing done I don't ever want to hear about Wang "saving the Islanders" again.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wang is so incompetent. If we actually get this thing done I don't ever want to hear about Wang "saving the Islanders" again.

I haven't wanted to hear about it for a decade. It's just a last-ditch fabrication from those who need to believe something positive came from wang's ownership. Nothing did. Just an embarrassing 15 year waste of time.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

I'm so happy Seattle seems like they're getting a team. As a Seahawks fan, I know how dedicated their fans can be, and a rivalry between them and Vancouver could be $$$ in the future.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm so happy Seattle seems like they're getting a team. As a Seahawks fan, I know how dedicated their fans can be, and a rivalry between them and Vancouver could be $$$ in the future.

Now this is amazing/ironic. HSC...You're also a Seahawks fan...? There's aren't too many of the Islanders/Seahawks brethren out there.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Wang was just naive... he thought he could negotiate with politicians the way a business man would, trusted them too much and they took his lunch. Multiple times.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
For sure. But TRAFFIC is why nothing has been built on the land . . . ever. If you live in LI/Queens, you signed up to sit in traffic everyday of your life. Those complaining about traffic need to get over it.

Eff them -- they live in queens -- and are used to ****ty traffic almost around the clock.

Pregame would be a nightmare, but is Cross Island still that bad at 9:45-10pm? Honest question, I have no idea.

The pregame traffic would probably be just a drop in the bucket (not everyone drives in at the same time.) Postgame traffic with a few thousand cars is going to result in gridlock, and of course people who will drive through the residential blocks to circumvent that traffic. (I don't think anyone would walk to and from Queens Village to park on public streets.) The noise all of that creates at 10PM on a school night is something you'd want preventative measures for if it was your street, no?

Even improvements to Hempstead Avenue (the Queens portion of Hempstead Tpk) are reimbursable by the State of New York, because it carries the NY State Route 24 designation.

The what, when, and how that gets done is probably what they're going to try to ask on Sunday. And then there's the question of exactly who pays for this.

I'm just trying to help answer why Queens pols are going to be there.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
New York Islanders, NYFCF Competing To Call Belmont Park Home

'ELMONT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Two New York sports teams are vying to redevelop Belmont Park.
Either way, a massive development is coming to the Nassau-Queens border after years of debate.

Details of the two bids to redevelop the 40 acres surrounding Belmont Racetrack are under wraps. They’ll be unveiled Sunday.
But CBS2 has learned the Islanders teamed up with Madison Square Garden and the New York Mets to propose an 18,000 seat arena. On the north side of Hempstead Turnpike, there would be a hotel and shopping village; on the south side, a community center and park.

The New York City Football Club’s proposal includes a 26,000 seat soccer stadium on the north side and a community center to the south.
Both plans include major upgrades to Belmont’s LIRR station. But some locals aren’t rooting for either bid...'

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
But some locals aren’t rooting for either bid...
I think we're all well aware now that there are plenty of locals content to keep LI in the stone age as they beat the tired "traffic" and "property values" drums. It's long overdue that we stop listening to these people and move forward.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think we're all well aware now that there are plenty of locals content to keep LI in the stone age as they beat the tired "traffic" and "property values" drums. It's long overdue that we stop listening to these people and move forward.
But if there’s enough local opposition then maybe we can go to Queens!!!!!! :deadhorse

Reactions: MJF and nyisles

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

Agreed, the owners won't be able to pass up the expansion fees. Relocations do nothing to pad their wallet.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The community center and park is smart. Get ahead of the “what’s in it for me” folks before they can complain too much.

Lol. I hope the arena gets built because I'm an Islander fan. But if I'm a dude in a dense neighborhood where nobody much likes hockey seeing an arena placed there because suburban folks don't want it in their backyard, I'm finding the "community center" consolation pretty pretttty patronizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad