Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I mean in theory yes, but how in the world would this show up on the radar screen for anyone in a swing state?

"Hello Wisconsin - You won't believe what we did for Belmont Racetrack..."

The LaGuardia airport renovation is much more of a feather in his cap than whatever Belmont turns out to be.
He needs something at home. The subway mess is his baby too.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I'm not getting that from the RFP. NYRA is renovating the race track, they wanted someone else to develop the property with a sporting venue, hotel/conference center, and entertainment district with retail.
Ahhhhhh. Got ya.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Wanna bet on that? Houston is the largest city the NHL doesn't have a team in (the 4th largest city in the US). The NHL was interested in Houston for a while, but the Rockets owner controlled the arena lease and didn't want an NHL there. He just sold the team and evidently the new ownership is wide open to having an NHL team there.

There is literally no combination of population, interest, ownership group, media, and more in the cities you listed.
One of my best friends moved to Houston a few years back from Jersey. He actually plays in rec leagues down there and is plugged into whatever hockey scene exists in the area. He has texted me several times laughing about what a complete pipe dream the NHL putting a team in Houston is. They are like KC: a tool the league uses to extort existing cities into robbing taxpayers to build new arenas.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Ugh!
I am hoping that since Belmont is not their top choice, that they will feel Harlem river or Willets Points are better options and drop out.

Willets Point is their focus I believe.

I think they are doing this to push deBlasio. Seriously relax. They will lose 3/4 of their season ticket holders. They do well because of where they are located. They market themselves (and named) as a NYC team. They don't want belmont. They may be using this to show they have a shovel ready proposal

Pretty sure the Wilpons (sterling equity) got involved for one reason. Have a hand in the Belmont arena, thus being able to partner with NYCFC on their stadium at Willets Point. They are increasing revenue stream.

All times Pacific

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
LOOKS LIke A DONE DEAL

Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Empire State Development, New York State’s business development agency, has moved quickly and is ever closer to a decision that will award the bid of the New York Islanders hockey team and its consortium to build a new arena at Belmont Park.

The Islanders hope to break ground next spring. “We have no comment as of now,” said Kimber Auerbach, Executive Director of Communications of the Islanders.

The announcement likely will come from someone with a higher pay grade. That, or the ESD award announcement will come at an opportune time for New York’s politically ambitious Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Horseraceinsider.com

Reactions: PWJunior and SI90

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I posted a day or two ago that I feel like it's a slam dunk. I don't have "inside information" from someone on this, but it is not merely a hunch either. I noticed something in poking around online recently that makes me very confident. Obviously it could be not what I think it is, but we'll see. I'll post it at some point after the proposal is approved and they're far enough along that it's safe to do so (so as not to contribute to a claim that this was predetermined). I'm sure someone here will remind me. :laugh:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
LOOKS LIke A DONE DEAL

Empire State Development, New York State’s business development agency, has moved quickly and is ever closer to a decision that will award the bid of the New York Islanders hockey team and its consortium to build a new arena at Belmont Park.

The Islanders hope to break ground next spring. “We have no comment as of now,” said Kimber Auerbach, Executive Director of Communications of the Islanders.

The announcement likely will come from someone with a higher pay grade. That, or the ESD award announcement will come at an opportune time for New York’s politically ambitious Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Horseraceinsider.com

According to Isles fans on twitter, this site is legit...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LOOKS LIke A DONE DEAL

Horseraceinsider.com

Great news.Made my day.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Like the 16500 capacity. Perfect for the Isles. Note to architects, 1. great site lines, 2 lots of bathrooms, 3 low ceiling in arena. Make the place loud!

From the leaked pictures, it certainly does look like the ceiling will be LOW. So important for crowd noise/energy and SOUND at concerts . . . that's why BC is terrible and MSG is the best.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
He needs something at home. The subway mess is his baby too.
Technically so is the move to barclays in the first place, he was gov in 2015. So to me to claim he moved the team to Belmont is a wash. Also the disaster of national grid, lipa after sandy will stick with some more then any positive he'll do.
Plus, if you're not a hockey fan, nor isles fan, no one really cares except another areana in the area with tons of areanas.
Imo he won't come close to winning anything more the ny and maybe nj

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I posted a day or two ago that I feel like it's a slam dunk. I don't have "inside information" from someone on this, but it is not merely a hunch either. I noticed something in poking around online recently that makes me very confident. Obviously it could be not what I think it is, but we'll see. I'll post it at some point after the proposal is approved and they're far enough along that it's safe to do so (so as not to contribute to a claim that this was predetermined). I'm sure someone here will remind me. :laugh:

Like an article? A designer's site?

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Technically so is the move to barclays in the first place, he was gov in 2015. So to me to claim he moved the team to Belmont is a wash. Also the disaster of national grid, lipa after sandy will stick with some more then any positive he'll do.
Plus, if you're not a hockey fan, nor isles fan, no one really cares except another areana in the area with tons of areanas.
Imo he won't come close to winning anything more the ny and maybe nj

The "tons of arenas" argument is going to go bye-bye real soon when Nassau shuts it's doors in a few years. Belmont will put it out of business. Serves the Nassau politicians right for years of incompetency.

Reactions: periferal

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
The "tons of arenas" argument is going to go bye-bye real soon when Nassau shuts it's doors in a few years. Belmont will put it out of business. Serves the Nassau politicians right for years of incompetency.
Decades of incompetency

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I am going to hold off until I see a deal is completely confirmed, but this news put a smile on my face.

Of course. Until the last week, I always had the "same old Isles" mentality and doom and gloom that we would never win the bid. Now, I am pretty confident.

-Isles NEED Belmont; have said so in the media
-NYFC's owner and fans don't want Belmont; have said so in the media
-Besides for MLS games (apparently they play all 12 months - ~50 games including pre-season, playoffs and tournaments) , a Soccer stadium can't be used from Oct/Nov - April. Loss revenue for NYS.
-3rd developer pulled out;
-Last night's article on the racing website;
-Reading the tea leaves, perhaps as a favor to Sterling/Mets/Isles, NYFC bid on Belmont so it wouldn't look like NYS is just giving it to the Isles. In return, Sterling/Mets will help NYFC get Willets Point or another NYC location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad