Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Mayor’s Message – December 13, 2017- Update on Village’s Response to Belmont Park Redevelopment Proposals

'Incorporated Village of Floral ParkOne Floral Boulevard, Floral Park, NY 11001

MAYOR
DOMINICK A LONGOBARDI

Mayor’s Message: December 13, 2017
There is an old saying, “the Devil is in the Details”. This certainly applies in the situation regarding the Economic Development Corporation’s (EDC) offer to accept ideas for the development of the property owned and controlled by New York State for development at Belmont Park. Once again our Village finds itself faced with the challenge of defending our beloved homes and businesses and the way of life we have come to enjoy from outside influences that may adversely affect us...

While everyone is working together, the bigger issue of a master plan for any development at Belmont Park that addresses all parties’ ideas and concerns is necessary. Development by NY State, NYRA and the concerns of the surrounding communities of Floral Park, Bellerose, Elmont, South Floral Park , Franklin Square, the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County and our friends on the Queens side all have to be addressed...

The Village is urging the EDC and NY State to take a step back and work towards a master plan for any development at Belmont Park with the input from all of those areas that are affected.
Ensuring the quality of life we have worked for and earned should not come at a price for such development. To that end, please find below, the submittal of 122 questions to the EDC regarding our concerns and issues... '

"While everyone is working together, the bigger issue of a master plan for any development at Belmont Park that addresses all parties’ ideas and concerns is necessary. Development by NY State, NYRA and the concerns of the surrounding communities of Floral Park, Bellerose, Elmont, South Floral Park , Franklin Square, the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County and our friends on the Queens side all have to be addressed..."

In reality they don't.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If the Isles new home isn't ready for three years, I'm sure they could create a new lease @ Barclays to accommodate that....If they want to, of course, is an entirely different question.
Yes. Either way they'd be negotiating a lease with the same landlord. Whether Barclays or Coliseum...

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Hopefully all this arena speculation will soon come to an end and then we can see if Tavares signs. All I want for Christmas is a an arena announcement, a Tavares signing and Snow fired. Won't get the last one but why not wish big.

Reactions: IslesFanatic

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Really difficult not to like this guy or at least give him credit. They are trying very hard to not only save this franchise but build it back up with a larger fan base. Guy is engaged. Hope it all works out.

Hopefully all this arena speculation will soon come to an end and then we can see if Tavares signs. All I want for Christmas is a an arena announcement, a Tavares signing and Snow fired. Won't get the last one but why not wish big.

MODS-

Can you please have HFBoards add a "LOVE" button?

Thanks,

Perif

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We are all focused on the Belmont RFP, but what we really need to know is...

How in the world are Ledecky/Malkin going to pay for the (at least) 500 million dollars this new arena is going to cost?

It's one thing to win an RFP, but that's only the first 20% of it.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016

How in the world are Ledecky/Malkin going to pay for the (at least) 500 million dollars this new arena is going to cost?

I'm sure NYS won't award them without sufficient funding.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm sure NYS won't award them without sufficient funding.

I tend to agree, but when you're politicking things can get done that actually make no sense in reality. Much the same way people won't believe the RFP is done for the Isles until they see shovels in the ground, I too won't believe an arena can be built until we see how they are going to fund it (and it makes sense).

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008

I would imagine that this is where Sterling Equities and MSG will play a further roll in the project.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If they do get the Belmont arena (and I'm crossing my fingers) then I'd really like the Isles to go back to Nassau for two years while the new place is getting built.

Sure it was a renovation on the cheap but it's still a nicer arena than what it was. Hockey capacity is only 13,900 but I believe they made it expandable. They should be able to at least get it up to say 14,500 or so which is around what the building sat when it opened. They'd draw better there. The ice would be better

Reactions: bigtim1988

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I would imagine that this is where Sterling Equities and MSG will play a further roll in the project.
Correct, and also include Oakview/Arena Alliance in that equation. Oakview knows how to do this stuff, and the Arena Alliance means a lender can be confident that they're lending for an arena that will be booked.

BTW, do we have an idea of what the cost might be for the ground? I assume it will be a long term lease from NY state (whatever entity owns the land)? Is NY looking for significant income from the lease, or is it more about propping up the racetrack operations with a compatible use?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
If they do get the Belmont arena (and I'm crossing my fingers) then I'd really like the Isles to go back to Nassau for two years while the new place is getting built.

Sure it was a renovation on the cheap but it's still a nicer arena than what it was. Hockey capacity is only 13,900 but I believe they made it expandable. They should be able to at least get it up to say 14,500 or so which is around what the building sat when it opened. They'd draw better there. The ice would be better
I love this idea but I'd want the isles to be 100% certain that no extra red tape halts the belmont arena before agreeing to it .

Reactions: periferal

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I keep asking this question (asked Staple multiple times with no answer).

How is this being funded? Who ultimately owns the arena? How are profits getting split?

I'm sure we can all agree, the last thing we want is an arena majority owned by Jim Dolan.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I keep asking this question (asked Staple multiple times with no answer).

How is this being funded? Who ultimately owns the arena? How are profits getting split?

I'm sure we can all agree, the last thing we want is an arena majority owned by Jim Dolan.

Well the truth is that I don't think Staple would know the answer to this yet as we all don't. In fact I'm not sure L/M have the inside design of the arena finalized yet.

And yes...We don't want an arena that is run/controlled by Dolan. I don't care how much profit he receives, but if he's allowed to call that shots that cannot be a good thing.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Correct, and also include Oakview/Arena Alliance in that equation. Oakview knows how to do this stuff, and the Arena Alliance means a lender can be confident that they're lending for an arena that will be booked.

BTW, do we have an idea of what the cost might be for the ground? I assume it will be a long term lease from NY state (whatever entity owns the land)? Is NY looking for significant income from the lease, or is it more about propping up the racetrack operations with a compatible use?
The entire project is about propping up the race track. Getting people to come to the facility and possibly resulting in spillover spending between the 2 venues.

I'm curious to know two things. What is the percentage breakdown of New York Arena Partners and does NYRA get some of the revenues generated by the arena, retail, entertainment district and hotel/conference center.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Well the truth is that I don't think Staple would know the answer to this yet as we all don't. In fact I'm not sure L/M have the inside design of the arena finalized yet.

And yes...We don't want an arena that is run/controlled by Dolan. I don't care how much profit he receives, but if he's allowed to call that shots that cannot be a good thing.
Why does everyone think that Jim Dolan will be the controlling interest in New York Arena Partners? Is he Mr. Potter, the richest man in Bedford Falls?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Dolan is an investor in Oakview. That’s it. Can we please stop with all of this Dolan hysteria? He’s not going to own the arena. He’s not going to run the arena.

Reactions: nyisles and MJF

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
But as long as we don't have any news about the specifics of investment, we can keep throwing out the Dolan name to whip people up!

Reactions: nyisles

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
But as long as we don't have any news about the specifics of investment, we can keep throwing out the Dolan name to whip people up!
There’s a chance we don’t ever find out the specifics of this deal. Every article about this has stated Dolan’s name in the context of a minority Oakview investor. Staple isn’t going to know, Compton isn’t going to know, Santa Clause isn’t going to know. It doesn’t matter though, because someone is going to come in this thread and scream about Dolan either way.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why does everyone think that Jim Dolan will be the controlling interest in New York Arena Partners? Is he Mr. Potter, the richest man in Bedford Falls?

He's an investor in a group that is an investor in the NYAP, so he's far from being the decisions maker. Not sure why some have trouble understanding this. Finding a large investment without his involvement in some way would probably be pretty hard. These guys have people on payroll looking for these types of investment opportunities, where they don't have to do much but stand to gain a lot of money.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
He's an investor in a group that is an investor in the NYAP, so he's far from being the decisions maker. Not sure why some have trouble understanding this. Finding a large investment without his involvement in some way would probably be pretty hard. These guys have people on payroll looking for these types of investment opportunities, where they don't have to do much but stand to gain a lot of money.
MSG wants involvement to give it the upper hand in bookings in the NY market, and in turn elsewhere that Oak View/MSG does business. But don't sleep on Malkin being the biggest player in the entire project. All we care about is the arena, but if, as was broadly hinted at the listening session, the project will include the first of his Value Retail shopping villages in the U.S., the money that will likely bring in to all (county, state, investors) could very well be what is driving this whole thing.

Reactions: MJF and periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad