Barbashev vs Bleakley

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Better career, I'll still guess Barbashev.

As for who's up first, I'd say Bleackley. I could see him getting called up as a bottom 6'er in a year potentially.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
I don't know much about Bleackley so I will have to go with what I know and that is Barbashev. I am still not convinced he won't be an effective 3rd line C/LW. I like Ivan.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Who's called up first? I have no clue because we have yet to see Bleakley in the pros yet. I would assume both would be called up during the same year depending on what third or fourth liner became injured.

For the better career... I would think Barbeshev because of his higher offensive potential. But Bleakley could become an Upshall type so maybe him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Both of them need this year to develop and have things to work on. So it will depend on how they do in that development as to who will ultimately be better. I think Barbashev is the first up to the NHL though. He will get a couple games this year. He has had a year in the AHL, so he is more adjusted to the pace. Bleakley had a piss poor year in the WHL. His points decreased in his over-age year when players should be dominating. He may have a new attitude/lease on life but it will take time to get adjusted and back on track.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i'd be pleasantly surprised if either ever really had a significant impact at the NHL level for the Blues. Just because they're the best of what we've got, it doesn't mean either are particularly good or worthy of a call-up. I'll vote neither.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think people are way to down on Barbashev. There weren't too many of kids from his draft class that were in the AHL last year. He was 19 for a good part of the season and needed time to adjust. Putting up 28 points in 65 games isn't bad for a kid that wasn't on the first PP unit and only had one of his goals on the PP.

He will be fine and likely still on his way to being a good 2nd line center.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I think people are way to down on Barbashev. There weren't too many of kids from his draft class that were in the AHL last year. He was 19 for a good part of the season and needed time to adjust. Putting up 28 points in 65 games isn't bad for a kid that wasn't on the first PP unit and only had one of his goals on the PP.

He will be fine and likely still on his way to being a good 2nd line center.

He had very similar production to Anthony Mantha in his first AHL season, I agree on that.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
It'll be Barbashev, sure the second half of his season with the Wolves wasn't pretty but I feel like he will catch on in time. Could be wrong but I could see him in our top 9 in two years or so.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Kind of like Chicago Blues input here... I saw a few Wolves games and I can't say that I walked away thinking Barbashev was going to be much more than a role player. Maybe he needs a year of maturity to get more of a killer instinct. Bleackley is all going to come down to whether or not he is truly ready to commit to be a professional hockey player. The talent is there in both of their cases. Love to see both reach their ceiling

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Kind of like Chicago Blues input here... I saw a few Wolves games and I can't say that I walked away thinking Barbashev was going to be much more than a role player. Maybe he needs a year of maturity to get more of a killer instinct. Bleackley is all going to come down to whether or not he is truly ready to commit to be a professional hockey player. The talent is there in both of their cases. Love to see both reach their ceiling

Barbashev is still very young. He was 19 playing in a man's league in The AHL, adjusting to the faster skating and harder hitting, more defensive responsibility and much longer season. It's usually overwhelming for teenagers who are not top notch players (like Fabbri). I think Barbashev still has 2nd Line peak potential. He has to grow into his body, get a lot stronger, and 7get more comfortable in the pro game. He should improve a lot this coming year.

Bleackley had some injuries that hurt his ability to play well. I hope he can move past them, and continue his development, with a more disciplined attitude than in the past. I hope his drafting in The 5th Round will end up as a "steal".

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm fine with taking a chance on Bleackley late in the draft but let's pump the breaks here a bit. He's two years older than most of the kids drafted last week so yeah, if he makes it he might make it sooner, but he's by no means a blue chip prospect. He's a kid that didn't really develop further, showed up to Avs camp out of shape and both Colorado and Arizona decided he wasn't worth one of their 50 contracts. He has the potential to be an NHL bottom-6 forward if he's able to pull things together but let's not get too excited about the kid yet.

Barbs had a bit of a hard time transitioning to pro hockey and needs to improve his consistency and still build his body more/gain strength but I'm not overly worried about him. He still had 2nd/3rd line C potential and I'd rank him quite a bit above Bleackley in our prospect pool.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Barbashev is still very young. He was 19 playing in a man's league in The AHL, adjusting to the faster skating and harder hitting, more defensive responsibility and much longer season. It's usually overwhelming for teenagers who are not top notch players (like Fabbri). I think Barbashev still has 2nd Line peak potential. He has to grow into his body, get a lot stronger, and 7get more comfortable in the pro game. He should improve a lot this coming year.

Bleackley had some injuries that hurt his ability to play well. I hope he can move past them, and continue his development, with a more disciplined attitude than in the past. I hope his drafting in The 5th Round will end up as a "steal".

I guess Robb I want to see a willingness to get in the middle. To get in traffic. I didn't see the fearlessness that he will need at the next level. Hopefully, it comes. I thought he showed much more in the Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad