Baltic Hockey League

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Can one of the Latvian guys explain what's happening with Dinamo? They almost secured the place in the PO and now are just giving away ALL the players to Prizma. Financial collapse or some 3D-chess-worthy way to save money after achieving the season goal?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Prizma famously doesn't pay salaries to players (only bonuses, allegedly). Imagine how bad the climate is at Dinamo camp, if you choose to leave it for Prizma. Dinamo has clearly run out of any money, and it will be a miracle, if this isn't their last season.

At the same time, as Dinamo is becoming significantly weaker, other teams have now a realistic chance to compete for a bronze medal. Teams are adding some new players (transfer deadline is in a week). So, there will be a real playoff battle between teams placed 3rd through 6th.

+ There is intrigue for the remainder of the regular season. Teams 4th through 8th are really close together. To have a chance at bronze medal, you should be 4th-6th and avoid Mogo/Zemgale in the QFs.

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Prizma famously doesn't pay salaries to players (only bonuses, allegedly). Imagine how bad the climate is at Dinamo camp, if you choose to leave it for Prizma. Dinamo has clearly run out of any money, and it will be a miracle, if this isn't their last season.

At the same time, as Dinamo is becoming significantly weaker, other teams have now a realistic chance to compete for a bronze medal. Teams are adding some new players (transfer deadline is in a week). So, there will be a real playoff battle between teams placed 3rd through 6th.

+ There is intrigue for the remainder of the regular season. Teams 4th through 8th are really close together. To have a chance at bronze medal, you should be 4th-6th and avoid Mogo/Zemgale in the QFs.
Sorry but are there even QFs in the league?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Yes, this season they've reintroduced them. A best-of-5 series in the QFs, best-of-7 for the rest.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Oh so it doesn't mean that much in the big picture then.. Because otherwise it literally looked like Dinamo basically made the PO and now are securing the place in it for Prizma as well.

Since there are QFs whoever plays Dinamo obviously has the best chance to get to the next round from the bottom-half teams.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

We should have died a graceful death after KHL. There is nothing wrong with Dinamo joining the OHL but with the current effort, if you can call it, is just embarrassing.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I'm not sure what I think about the league yet. I mean, it seems to me the Lithuanian teams are popular and watching their games (as they stream them on youtube) they are fun to watch.

Riga vs Mogo yesterday was 0-13 to Mogo what the hell is that about? I don't mind what league the team plays in, but with scores like that, it seems pointless to bother.

Zemgale in Metis is interesting and according to what I read Metis wants to open up to other international teams, could Riga go here? Or is the Riga project already over, do you think?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Mestis needs a budget of EUR 1.5m. Dinamo, I would imagine, barely has EUR 15 000 left in its accounts. The team is dead, and could only be kept alive by some enthusiasts able to fundraise EUR 300-500tk (for local league).

On a side note, as always, there is some hope for the future. Allegedly, Lithuanian teams are ready to spend more money to be more competitive in the future. There is talk of multiple prospects - an Estonian team joining, Kurbads and/or Liepaja rejoining, and even potential rebirth of ASK (which could be quite stable, if it secures military financing).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
My city team equalizes PO series against Dinamo 2-2 absolutely crushing them at home 6-2 and 5-2. Amazing. I don't have an explanation other than the games might have been rigged :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Pardus and Rigafan

GX

Dec 28, 2011
My city team equalizes PO series against Dinamo 2-2 absolutely crushing them at home 6-2 and 5-2. Amazing. I don't have an explanation other than the games might have been rigged :laugh:
Home ice probably helped as well. And, well, Dinamo is currently just a disorganized group of irrelevant junior players and a few semi-retired veterans who are not hungry enough to have fled the team like 10 of their teammates did months ago.

Saw parts of the first two games. If we try to place these teams in the 21-22 standings, neither would have made the four-team playoffs.

Compared to the more skilled forwards of Dinamo (namely Redlihs, Tambijevs, Lavrovs), Kaunas struggles with finishing. Even when they have pressure for 20 minutes, they may only create a chance or two which hits the net. And Kaunas is quite terrible both on PP and SH. As long as they stay out of the box and keep their defensive zone clear, they may have a chance.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Saw parts of the first two games. If we try to place these teams in the 21-22 standings, neither would have made the four-team playoffs.
Yeah, that makes sense. But then again, Mogo is probably the only team that more or less kept their last year's strength.

Regarding PP and SH, that's what you get when you practice twice per week after work, that's just the sad reality of semi-pro hockey. And, I mean, Dinamo still has Redlihs and Tambijevs, Kaunas has Verenis and Grybauskas :laugh: Not quite the same. Although I am quite optimistic about Grybauskas, exactly the reason why joining the Latvian league ultimately was so good for our hockey.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Zemgale iced their A roster for the first semifinal vs Dinamo. I guess, they will spare them for the other games, because, as expected, both teams are on a different level. I doubt Mogo will have much to offer in the finals, too.

More interestingly, the other semifinal started with a 20 minute overtime and a shootout. Mogo has more skill, however, Prizma has strong goaltending in Auzins and a bunch of decent forwards who deflected Dinamo. I hope/expect they take a game or two. However, taking the series would still be a major upset.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
It makes me wonder as well...pretty silent. What about HK Liepaja? Hopefully we will know soon.
I am cheering for all Baltic countries to make it work.

Reactions: Pardus

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvian federation is likely a bit hangover. Anyhow, with ongoing celebrations aside (players are still visiting different towns, with hundreds in attendance), we usually don't get any official decisions before early August.

Unless any of the teams announce something themselves, we may only have to hope there is an interview or two with federation officials later in the summer. There will be the end of season event this Friday, but it's unlikely we'll get any news out of it.

Zemgale is out of Mestis, however, they've promised their staff will remain with the team. Anyhow, the team will likely return to its 2020-2021 strength.

HS Riga will play in both Latvian league and Finnish U18 Mestis. And U18 Mestis will also have Liepaja Juniors. Last year they often failed to ice four lines in Latvia2. I doubt the additional travel costs of Liepaja Juniors will increase the chance of rebirth of a senior team, but let's see.

Reactions: Jakub97

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
I see. The collaboration with Finland can be beneficial I believe. Perfect starting line for uprising.

There is U16 Zemgale going to play in U16 Mestis as well.
Regarding Liepaja it makes a lot of sense If they won't be financially able to play senior league because of additional cost of travelling to Finland.
Anyway you have to start with kids and teenagers so it seems to me as right decision to rather spend money there. Senior hockey will collect its apples in upcoming 5 years hopefully.
Maybe one day Dinamo Riga will join the SM - Liiga and teams like Zemgale, Liepaja will find their way to play domestic top tier and play Mestis?

About the communication of federation with public - well know sh*t in Slovakia yet in last 5 years or so It got better. Teams are actually signing players already in May, June which used to be end of July, August and a lot of clubs didn´t even know If they will play next season until the end of summer. 12 stable clubs with average attendance of 2000 (moreless) makes me believe we are on good path. Wish the same for Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

In my eyes it seems quite attractive to imagine league with strong teams from cities like Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, Kaunas, Narva, Jelgava, Liepaja, Tartu, Daugavpils etc. Someday.

Anyway what about NHL draft? How do you guys see chances for Fenenko, Bulans, Rullers, Bukarts, Ozols or Berzins to be drafted?

Imo Fenenko, Bulans and Rullers should be taken somewhere between 4-7 round and If that happens it will be really good for Latvia. But I believe one goaltender will be taken (Silovs stock up the good name of Latvian goalies). Ozols doesn't seem to be that far from qualities of Silovs in the same age or?

I remember watching the U20 Latvia squad and Berzins was more than solid in net.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
I see. The collaboration with Finland can be beneficial I believe. Perfect starting line for uprising.

There is U16 Zemgale going to play in U16 Mestis as well.
Regarding Liepaja it makes a lot of sense If they won't be financially able to play senior league because of additional cost of travelling to Finland.
Anyway you have to start with kids and teenagers so it seems to me as right decision to rather spend money there. Senior hockey will collect its apples in upcoming 5 years hopefully.
Maybe one day Dinamo Riga will join the SM - Liiga and teams like Zemgale, Liepaja will find their way to play domestic top tier and play Mestis?

About the communication of federation with public - well know sh*t in Slovakia yet in last 5 years or so It got better. Teams are actually signing players already in May, June which used to be end of July, August and a lot of clubs didn´t even know If they will play next season until the end of summer. 12 stable clubs with average attendance of 2000 (moreless) makes me believe we are on good path. Wish the same for Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

In my eyes it seems quite attractive to imagine league with strong teams from cities like Riga, Tallinn, Vilnius, Kaunas, Narva, Jelgava, Liepaja, Tartu, Daugavpils etc. Someday.

Anyway what about NHL draft? How do you guys see chances for Fenenko, Bulans, Rullers, Bukarts, Ozols or Berzins to be drafted?

Imo Fenenko, Bulans and Rullers should be taken somewhere between 4-7 round and If that happens it will be really good for Latvia. But I believe one goaltender will be taken (Silovs stock up the good name of Latvian goalies). Ozols doesn't seem to be that far from qualities of Silovs in the same age or?

I remember watching the U20 Latvia squad and Berzins was more than solid in net.
Lots of good arenas in the Baltics and there definitely seems to be a rise in hockey popularity. I think the Baltics should aggressively go in one of two directions.

1st option - create a unified Baltic league (utilizing the best arenas)

TeamsArenaPopulation (metro)
1​
RigaDinamo
10,300​
1,100,000​
2​
RigaHS
10,300​
1,100,000​
3​
RigaHK Mogo
6,000​
1,100,000​
4​
DaugavpilsHK Dinaburga
1,984​
113,000​
5​
JelgavaHK Zemgale
2,360​
55,000​
6​
VilniusHockey Punks
8,750​
810,000​
7​
KaunasCity
13,762​
588,000​
8​
KlaipedaHC
4,416​
209,000​
9​
TallinHC Vipers
5,840​
455,000​
10​
Kohtla-JarveHC Everest
2,000​
35,000​

2nd option - join Liiga and bring back relegation

FHLTeamsArenaPopulation (metro)
1​
HelsinkiJokerit
13,349​
1,671,000​
2​
TampereIlves
13,455​
448,000​
3​
TurkuTPS
11,820​
362,000​
4​
HelsinkiHIFK
-10,500​
1,671,000​
5​
TampereTappara
13,455​
448,000​
6​
OuluKarpat
6,768​
258,000​
7​
JyvaskylaJYP
-7,000​
212,000​
8​
LahtiPelicans
5,371​
191,000​
9​
KuopioKalPa
5,300​
168,000​
10​
PoriAssat
6,300​
137,000​
11​
KouvolaKooKoo
5,950​
61,000​
12​
HameenlinnaHPK
5,360​
67,000​
13​
RaumaLukko
5,400​
66,000​
14​
RigaDinamo
10,300​
1,100,000​
FHL2TeamsArenaPopulation (metro)
1​
LapreenrantaSaiPa
4,820​
73,000​
2​
VassaSport
4,512​
67,000​
3​
MikkeliJukurit
4,200​
54,000​
4​
EspooKeikko
6,982​
1,671,000​
5​
JoensuuJoKP
4,800​
76,000​
6​
KokkolaHermes
4,200​
48,000​
7​
RovaniemiRoKi
3,500​
63,000​
8​
VantaaKeikko
3,700​
1,671,000​
9​
TurkuTUTO
3,000​
362,000​
10​
KaunasHockey
13,762​
588,000​
11​
VilniusHockey Punks
8,750​
810,000​
12​
TallinVipers
5,840​
455,000​
13​
RigaHK Mogo
6,000​
1,100,000​
14​
RigaHK Zemgale
10,300​
1,100,000​

I would prefer if they joined Liiga

Reactions: Jakub97

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
Surely the united Baltic League with solid 10 - 12 teams would be amazing for all three countries. It all comes to money and general interest. Even those arenas don't seem like a huge problem only If the clubs will have enough money to rent them and pay electricity. That is another story.

Anyway Finland seem like a fair partner when it comes to development of young players so they should take advantage of it. Is Lithuania planning to join U18 or U16 Mestis program as well?

Like your review by the way. Well done.

Reactions: Lackhalak

GX

Dec 28, 2011
So, the famous interview is here.

Zemgale, Mogo, Prizma, HS Riga confirmed
Kurbads has expressed verbal confirmation that they are back
Then there are 3 Lithuanian and 1 Estonian team who have 'expressed readiness to play'
June 28 is deadline for formal application (that's really early for Latvian league standards)
Dinaburga is 'skipping the next season', no Liepaja, unknown status of Dinamo Riga

So, it still looks like a 9 team operation:
Zemgale, Mogo main favourites
Prizma, Kurbads in the next batch
HS Riga - the usual outsiders who can bite someone from time to time
And then the unknown parties - 4 LT/EE teams

Replacing the depleted Dinamo with Kurbads and all-time poor Dinaburga with an Estonian team is an upgrade. If some of the Lithuanian teams can step up and form a stronger roster, then we certainly have a stronger league this autumn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakub97 and Pardus

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
Well Tallinn should be an upgrade for league. Daugavpils and Liepaja will hopefully comeback one day - financially stable and stronger. Until then it's surely better to spend money on youth development.

Lithuanian teams should be more competitive this year and If Riga Kurbads rejoins next season should be better in every level.

Hopefully Dinamo Riga will find a way to play so there can be 10 teams in Baltic League.
Or maybe one more team from Estonia joining?

Reactions: Pardus

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
That would be interesting. So let's how it will be established. It is important for the league to financially stabilise. Teams are coming back and leaving every year.

What about second tier? There have been 2 Lithuanian team left off and it will be 5 Estonian. Is there any plan to do fusion in second tier as well? Or is nonse since it is mostly amateurs playing and none to cover expenses?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvian second tier has roughly 10 teams each season and is formally a U23 league, which de facto are mostly C tier U20 prospects mixed in with some A tier U17 guys (the league has two HS Riga junior teams, for example). Almost no amateurs, though.

Tallinn already announced they'll play in both Latvian and Estonian league. Estonia has plenty of teams to continue their operation, it seems. However, with 3 Lithuanian teams gone, a separate senior tournament wasn't even played in Lithuania. That doesn't sound good for their development. So, it would make sense for a team or two to join Latvia2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad