Beginners: Ball hockey self-assessment of game 002

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To work on :
- defense with puck (Poise)
- Shot accuracy... (I find my stick's blade is too curved. I prefer a nearly flat one. Can't find any
- Confidence in shooting (prefers passing most of the time)
- Taking offensive chances (staying behind)
- Getting into position to receive passes. (Can't find space)
- In the corners (can't overwork opponents so far)

Positives :
+++++++++++++++
Block passes
1 on 1 defense
Anticipation = creating frequent turnovers
Vision with the puck
Pass precision
Tricky plays (hand-eye - backhand no-look pass)

-- Next Time --
Either

A
- Play more offensively. Assess when it is time to "rush the puck" a bit
- Have a better "on/off ice" management (managing energy levels for better shifts)
- Stay solid defensively, stay ready to rush back to defense.

OR

B
- Stay on defense and Neutralize / shut down opportunities.
- Try to score/hit the net more often.
- Make effective offensive plays (passes, create turnovers, )

Depends on teammates, if 5vs5 4vs4 3vs3... different responsibilities.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I haven't played ball hockey in an actual league since I was about 16. I've played in a pick up league, and with friends. My cardio is terrible, but I have an accurate shot. Have fun playing!

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I made a topic post around here somewhere about a month or two ago since I started to play ball hockey recently as well. Glad your having success!

I'm currently using a Bauer APX twig with a warrior Savard blade. The 'flatter' the curve the better for stick-handling and shooting. When my team breaks out into the offensive zone, I stay planted along the boards (as I would for Ice) and just wait for the opportunity. Your shots will always have a weird outcome because the ball bounces and spins. I always try to do slapshots and snapshots. I find that wrist shots dont seem to work as well.

Not sure what kind of a league your in, but I love doing tricky plays. Just be aware of the chippy stuff

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To work on :

- Clear the crease/rebounds etc.
- Defensive poise (getting better though)
- Patience when in possession
- Shot release/accuracy
- Dangle/Deke
- Find open teammates in the offensive zone

Positives :
+++++++++++++++
- Engaged offensively
- Found space in offense to receive passes
- Better in the corners
- Passing/Playmaking
- Transitioning Offense/Defense
- Intercept/cut passes
- Pinpoint passing

Next time :
1 on 1 ( x player's chest) cover player, not the "puck"
Play more on the left side. (naturally seems to go to the right side)
Get more creative (work on dangles, get to different areas for different plays and outcomes)
Find a way to get a good shot release (on the surface we play). (Slapshot and Snapshot suggested)
Get used to the play surface (for dangles/dekes/shots)
Adapt play early depending on if we play 3vs3 4vs4 5vs5
Stick to close coverage

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm a pretty decent ball hockey player, played at every level of the sport. Shoot me questions if you want :)

I'll let you know. thanks!

I made a topic post around here somewhere about a month or two ago since I started to play ball hockey recently as well. Glad your having success!

I'm currently using a Bauer APX twig with a warrior Savard blade. The 'flatter' the curve the better for stick-handling and shooting. When my team breaks out into the offensive zone, I stay planted along the boards (as I would for Ice) and just wait for the opportunity. Your shots will always have a weird outcome because the ball bounces and spins. I always try to do slapshots and snapshots. I find that wrist shots dont seem to work as well.

Not sure what kind of a league your in, but I love doing tricky plays. Just be aware of the chippy stuff

I play in a friendly league. Just saw an ad and joined in. In a public school's gym.
I'm still looking for a leaner curve. The stick seems to be the right length and other than shoot, it goes well. Thanks for the tips. Good luck!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm a pretty decent ball hockey player, played at every level of the sport. Shoot me questions if you want :)
When I do dekes, the ball doesn't seem to follow. Is it better to be "firm" when doing deke, kind of lightly "hit" the ball for it to switch side. Maybe going as far as to mildly lift the ball for it to get to faster the area where I'm going. The ball seems static and there is something about my stick, the floor and the ball that doesn't work good I think. --- Ok, I might be the bad workman blaming his tools. lol

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
When I do dekes, the ball doesn't seem to follow. Is it better to be "firm" when doing deke, kind of lightly "hit" the ball for it to switch side. Maybe going as far as to mildly lift the ball for it to get to faster the area where I'm going. The ball seems static and there is something about my stick, the floor and the ball that doesn't work good I think. --- Ok, I might be the bad workman blaming his tools. lol

You need to practice both soft touches to slightly adjust the position of the ball as well as the bigger movements to change directions when you deke. Normally, the ball rolls and slides at the same time.

I can't tell exactly which issues you're experiencing :/

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
You need to practice both soft touches to slightly adjust the position of the ball as well as the bigger movements to change directions when you deke. Normally, the ball rolls and slides at the same time.

I can't tell exactly which issues you're experiencing :/
I've noticed that the angle of the blade on the ball + the way the ball is spinning, changes everything.
The issue I had mostly is that with a puck, it slides on the surface from one side to the other. For a ball, I find it trickier, as it doesn't ..... it's just different.

I had decided to go and maybe try some skating or hockey, but I ended up signing up for ball hockey. So, I guess I just need to adapt to the surface and ball. Also, the stick I use might be too long... I'm wondering. I'll keep doing some researches. Thanks!!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I've noticed that the angle of the blade on the ball + the way the ball is spinning, changes everything.
The issue I had mostly is that with a puck, it slides on the surface from one side to the other. For a ball, I find it trickier, as it doesn't ..... it's just different.

I had decided to go and maybe try some skating or hockey, but I ended up signing up for ball hockey. So, I guess I just need to adapt to the surface and ball. Also, the stick I use might be too long... I'm wondering. I'll keep doing some researches. Thanks!!

I think you just need to get used to the feel of the ball on your blade. The ball is only tough to handle when it comes with a lot of spin, it can cause the ball to just slip off your blade when you receive it. Practice stickhandling in your garage, do it 15 minutes a day and you'll notice a significant improvement.

As for the length of the stick, it does need to be cut compared to the length you use on the ice. Generally, my ball hockey sticks are about two inches shorter than my ice hockey sticks. That's the difference in height with and without skates on. Since I like using the same sticks for both activities, I've given up cutting them at all.

I don't know how much you have to cut yours. How tall are you?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think you just need to get used to the feel of the ball on your blade. The ball is only tough to handle when it comes with a lot of spin, it can cause the ball to just slip off your blade when you receive it. Practice stickhandling in your garage, do it 15 minutes a day and you'll notice a significant improvement.

As for the length of the stick, it does need to be cut compared to the length you use on the ice. Generally, my ball hockey sticks are about two inches shorter than my ice hockey sticks. That's the difference in height with and without skates on. Since I like using the same sticks for both activities, I've given up cutting them at all.

I don't know how much you have to cut yours. How tall are you?
Thanks!

I'm 5' 11" . For now, I'll keep the stick at the length it is. I like it on the defensive end. I'm still unsure if it is way too long. The last stick I used indoor was too long, and it hampered my playing all "season" long.

I did practice some stickhandling at home. Looking forward for more.
So, defensively, I don't have that much to work on. I was surprised at how fast I was able to read the play and get going early on. Offensively, it is about the shot and dangle/deke. I'm not so worried about the offense, but I know I can do much better.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks!

I'm 5' 11" . For now, I'll keep the stick at the length it is. I like it on the defensive end. I'm still unsure if it is way too long. The last stick I used indoor was too long, and it hampered my playing all "season" long.

I did practice some stickhandling at home. Looking forward for more.
So, defensively, I don't have that much to work on. I was surprised at how fast I was able to read the play and get going early on. Offensively, it is about the shot and dangle/deke. I'm not so worried about the offense, but I know I can do much better.

I'm 6' tall, so barely taller than you and I play just fine with a full length stick. It depends which lie you're using, but for me using a lie 5, I have to bend my knees a little bit. When I'm using a lie 6, I can play almost upright. I like being bent a little bit more, lowers my center of gravity and makes me harder to knock off the ball. It also gives me a bit more reach when I do a power move around a D.

Coming from ice hockey, you should have no trouble at all reading the play if you're playing 5vs5 or 4vs4. 3vs3 is a lot trickier, it's actual man-on-man coverage and no one has fixed positions. If you're matched up with a guy that is either more skilled, stronger or simply faster than you, you're in trouble. If you have the advantage in the 1vs1 matchup, then you will be dominant.

If you're having trouble stickhandling and shooting, you can focus first on playmaking while you work on your hands and your shot.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To work on :

Shot
Getting open in the offensive zone

Positives
++++++++++

Along the boards
Coverage
Poise
Transition OFF-DEF

Next time :

Crash the net
Look at goalie
Playmaking

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To work on :

Keep longer when in possession
Cycle in offensive zone

Positives
++++++++++

Anticipate plays/break plays
(Hero) play in last moments of game

Next time :

Look at goalie
Play on left side

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I'm 6' tall, so barely taller than you and I play just fine with a full length stick. It depends which lie you're using, but for me using a lie 5, I have to bend my knees a little bit. When I'm using a lie 6, I can play almost upright. I like being bent a little bit more, lowers my center of gravity and makes me harder to knock off the ball. It also gives me a bit more reach when I do a power move around a D.

Coming from ice hockey, you should have no trouble at all reading the play if you're playing 5vs5 or 4vs4. 3vs3 is a lot trickier, it's actual man-on-man coverage and no one has fixed positions. If you're matched up with a guy that is either more skilled, stronger or simply faster than you, you're in trouble. If you have the advantage in the 1vs1 matchup, then you will be dominant.

If you're having trouble stickhandling and shooting, you can focus first on playmaking while you work on your hands and your shot.

Thanks for the tips! I like the thing about the stick blade lie. It's something I'll have to get into. I don't really know about that but I'll look it up.

3 on 3 is tougher. I was able to play 4 on 4. It was nicer for me to stick more to D.

I think the moment where I'm most involved is in the defensive end when people are cycling the puck. I try to cut down angles, look for them to do a mistake... and maybe block shots. It's almost as if I am playing a defensive center kind of game in the defensive end. I am usually the one most up front looking to break the opposite team's play. The only thing though is that once I get possession, I usually pass it pretty quickly. Sometimes I just tip it. I got a LOT more time and space than what I make use of.
So this means I need to look up at my cycling game. I just seem to want to get rid of the ball once I have it. lol
I'm also uncomfortable too far in the offensive zone because I know I am very far from my own net and it might translate into a chance for an opponent to fly away. Maybe I just need to have more confidence on the defensive plays of other players. I don't know if I am as good defensively as I think I am.
I don't see myself play and defensive effectiveness is harder to assess than offensive prowess.
Anyway. If it's 3 on 3, I'll work to be aware on the 1vs1 match-ups.
If 4 on 4, I'll look to round my game a bit more.

I practiced Stick handling a bit. I'm getting more comfortable to move the ball around.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the tips! I like the thing about the stick blade lie. It's something I'll have to get into. I don't really know about that but I'll look it up.

3 on 3 is tougher. I was able to play 4 on 4. It was nicer for me to stick more to D.

I think the moment where I'm most involved is in the defensive end when people are cycling the puck. I try to cut down angles, look for them to do a mistake... and maybe block shots. It's almost as if I am playing a defensive center kind of game in the defensive end. I am usually the one most up front looking to break the opposite team's play. The only thing though is that once I get possession, I usually pass it pretty quickly. Sometimes I just tip it. I got a LOT more time and space than what I make use of.
So this means I need to look up at my cycling game. I just seem to want to get rid of the ball once I have it. lol
I'm also uncomfortable too far in the offensive zone because I know I am very far from my own net and it might translate into a chance for an opponent to fly away. Maybe I just need to have more confidence on the defensive plays of other players. I don't know if I am as good defensively as I think I am.
I don't see myself play and defensive effectiveness is harder to assess than offensive prowess.
Anyway. If it's 3 on 3, I'll work to be aware on the 1vs1 match-ups.
If 4 on 4, I'll look to round my game a bit more.

I practiced Stick handling a bit. I'm getting more comfortable to move the ball around.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

You have to trust yourself, you're not in trouble as long as you don't turn it over as the last guy back. Confidence comes with practice and repetitions. It took me a while to be confident enough to carry the ball up the court. Now, I'm able to do end-to-end rushes when I see an opening.

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Positives :
One on one / defensive end
Reading the play / adapting
Hand eye
Use the boards for plays

To work on :
Use teammate better
Shot
Cycle the puck in Off zone
Get open in the Off zone

Next time:

Keep it simple. Try a few things when the time seems right.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Game tomorrow

MIGHT play... bad knee for over a month now (snow shoveling and such work)........ edit : WILL play.

A guy told me about something I had talked about... the floor. There's lots of friction. I mean, that's why I said it was hard to make moves and forehand to backhand moves etc.- I was saying the ball didn't want to follow the moves and as if I had to lift the ball a bit for it to go where I wanted to. There is another "rink" but I was told it was small and people said the floor there was slippery.

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
--- Good ---
Defensive coverage (One on one)
Hand eye (cut passes)
Passing game

-- Average --
Cycle
Positional play in offense (getting better though)

-- To work on --
Shot (but averaging 2 goals now instead of 1)
Close to my net (clearing the crease)

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
One more game left.
Had my best defensive game last time. I was still able to manage one goal on probably the most solid goaltender we had so far. -- I remember a guy scoring in his own net (deflection)... I am unsure whether I touched it last on our team... whatever. lol

Last game, I worked on keeping possession a little longer. My shot suddenly got much better... somehow (not as good as it once was, but it was never great anyway. lol).
On that 4 goal game a few weeks back, the shot was still not so great but this kind of game does happen. I think I was more all over the place and had many scoring chances.. I'd just put it on net and it worked.

My cardio is not so great. I was the first one back to the bench last time. I didn't work out as much as I thought I would lately.. --- Working on keeping possession longer does make me burn more "fuel" though. lol
Knee is bad, has been since snow shoveling about 2 months ago. on and off (hopefully not to-be chronic) issue. When I rest it for a few days, the issue goes away... but it soon comes back when efforts are made.

Anyway.... lol.

I'll stick to defense mostly (rushing back to defense in case of a turnover while/if I am deep in O-zone). Maybe I should trust my teammates more.
I also want to keep doing good breakout passes.

My next thing to work on is finding sweet spots when my team has possession. I did a bit of that with limited success. People passed to me quite a bit last game, but I was not really "open" or we were "out of sync". There are still a few situations where I get lost in the O-zone. In the D-Zone, that's home for me. lol Scoring is fun though.

Anyway, I sure am overthinking this...

So, next Monday, we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mittelstadt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad