Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '22-'23 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A blast from the past.

Hershey a really good defensive team or have hot goaltending that a d-man is leading them in scoring and they won the championship?

I guess further to all that what kind impact are the Caps young players having on the club? Kind of a team in and interesting situation with not going full rebuild, but will need prospects to start filling out the club

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Honestly only about 6 players on the condors I think have a shot to turn into anything at this point being the 4 wingers (Bourgault, Tullio, Savoie, and Petrov) and then Kemp/Wanner. Not counting Lavoie as this is his year to sink or swim making the big club or he likely wont be around.

I think it could be more likely to see Bourgault make the big club than Lavoie this year as well.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly only about 6 players on the condors I think have a shot to turn into anything at this point being the 4 wingers (Bourgault, Tullio, Savoie, and Petrov) and then Kemp/Wanner. Not counting Lavoie as this is his year to sink or swim making the big club or he likely wont be around.

I think it could be more likely to see Bourgault make the big club than Lavoie this year as well.
I have big hopes for Rodrigue and hope they dont try to stick with Pickard as the vet even if Rodrigue outplays him. Next year he is waiver eligible. Expect big things from him this year.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Since he is waiver eligible I suspect that this is a recognition that he is either on the big team or may not be back. I think he would clear waivers but it's not a given. He's also not signed yet.

I think the plan should be to have Lavoie with the team out of camp, and use the first few weeks of season to see if he earns a spot long term. Similar to Benson in 2021/22.
If he doesn't, he'll have Bourgault and Tullio (who might be a better fit as a 4th line energy guy) hot on his heels.

My guess at the lineup for the first few weeks of the season...

Kane-McD-Brown/Foegele
RNH-Drai-Hyman
Janmark-McLeod-Brown/Foegele
Holloway-Ryan-Lavoie

Considering he'd be the most talented RHS forward on the roster (not really a high bar to clear), there is room for him to grow and show off his skills.
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me to see one of him, Holloway, or even X steal that last top 6 spot from Brown/Foegele by the start of 2024.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
A young team this year in Bako--lots of potential but relatively inexperienced.

I expect that Lavoie will either be with the Oilers or long gone. I don't think he would clear waivers. His physical attributes will attract attention around the league. Big-snarly --and a very good shot.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A young team this year in Bako--lots of potential but relatively inexperienced.

I expect that Lavoie will either be with the Oilers or long gone. I don't think he would clear waivers. His physical attributes will attract attention around the league. Big-snarly --and a very good shot.
imo the team will want to see what Lavoie has, and perhaps even felt comfortable trading Schaefer because they have Lavoie. Also, they will want to see if he can replace some of what Kostin brought. Just my unprofessional opinion

I'm thinking if he looks even somewhat decent they will keep him on and give him a long leash. If looks really raw still, then no one will claim him on waivers because they would have to play him on their NHL squad.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Looks sharp.

Ooh, not sure how to feel about it. I've always liked the orange (warm) and blue (cool) contrast. Not sure I like cream as the principle color of the jersey with that combination.

Regardless, Super excited about the injection of talent, mainly Petrov and Maximus Wanner this year, this team is due for late round breakthrough.

Also excited for Bourgault. Despite popular narrative around here, he actually had a good season for his age. Once he shows he can finish at higher rate in addition to his already great speed, puck handling and hockey IQ, and attention to detail without the puck, he'll get a call up real quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I assume Gregor will have something on Oilersnation, but I figured I'd post some highlights from his interview with Chaulk.

So for whatever reason I wasn't paying attention when he talked about Lavoie first lol.

Bourgault was second. So oddly enough one of the biggest factors for Bourgault last year was he needed to settle in to living in a new country and there was a language barrier. Apparently being from a small town, Bakersfield was a real culture shock to the guy. Honestly I thought he was talking about a European at first. Did say once he settled in he liked his game.

Savoie was an interesting one. Really said injuries and fitness were a major concern for Savoie. At first I thought the fitness was due to injuries, but it clearly wasn't. Chaulk went into detail that it was more than just exercise and that he had to get onto a proper food plan. Did say from what he saw so far it looks like Savoie has moved in the right direction.

Petrov while he hasn't had him in Bakersfield he did mention he needs to be more consistent, engaged and learn to use his body more. I kinda got Martindale/Hamilton vibes. In the way that just because he has the frame to be very good in Junior he still has a lot of work before being a consistent pro. Sounds to me that in the Rookie Tourney's Petrov has shown some bad habits past couple years. Did mention Petrov is going to be in Bakersfield this year, apparently Holland mentioned it

I was a little taken back on the comments on Hoefenmayer. Something about we hope he makes the top 6. I need to listen to it again, as that stumped me as to why a d-man that put up those kind of points would be a hopefully to make Bakersfield top 6.

I think my big take out of this is Chaulk clearly has an understanding on what guys need to do to take the next steps in their careers. Also from everything I heard he's a good communicator. So hopefully

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I assume Gregor will have something on Oilersnation, but I figured I'd post some highlights from his interview with Chaulk.

So for whatever reason I wasn't paying attention when he talked about Lavoie first lol.

Bourgault was second. So oddly enough one of the biggest factors for Bourgault last year was he needed to settle in to living in a new country and there was a language barrier. Apparently being from a small town, Bakersfield was a real culture shock to the guy. Honestly I thought he was talking about a European at first. Did say once he settled in he liked his game.

Savoie was an interesting one. Really said injuries and fitness were a major concern for Savoie. At first I thought the fitness was due to injuries, but it clearly wasn't. Chaulk went into detail that it was more than just exercise and that he had to get onto a proper food plan. Did say from what he saw so far it looks like Savoie has moved in the right direction.

Petrov while he hasn't had him in Bakersfield he did mention he needs to be more consistent, engaged and learn to use his body more. I kinda got Martindale/Hamilton vibes. In the way that just because he has the frame to be very good in Junior he still has a lot of work before being a consistent pro. Sounds to me that in the Rookie Tourney's Petrov has shown some bad habits past couple years. Did mention Petrov is going to be in Bakersfield this year, apparently Holland mentioned it

I was a little taken back on the comments on Hoefenmayer. Something about we hope he makes the top 6. I need to listen to it again, as that stumped me as to why a d-man that put up those kind of points would be a hopefully to make Bakersfield top 6.

I think my big take out of this is Chaulk clearly has an understanding on what guys need to do to take the next steps in their careers. Also from everything I heard he's a good communicator. So hopefully
I know Chaulk took a lot of heat on here from some people earlier in the year, but overall, I think he did and has done a pretty nice job. Sheltering guys when they needed to be sheltered, putting them in positions to succeed, and breaking them of bad habits and turning them into pros.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know Chaulk took a lot of heat on here from some people earlier in the year, but overall, I think he did and has done a pretty nice job. Sheltering guys when they needed to be sheltered, putting them in positions to succeed, and breaking them of bad habits and turning them into pros.
Pretty much. People just want to see kids getting top line and PP time right off the bat, but if they aren't ready it's not a good idea.

That and like Bourgault when do we hear about this issues? This whole Bourgault thing just came out, so who knows what other issues players are going through.

Like Chaulk said it's not just a change on the ice for these kids. Lots of things off the ice are changing for them and it's a lot to take in all at once.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pretty much. People just want to see kids getting top line and PP time right off the bat, but if they aren't ready it's not a good idea.

That and like Bourgault when do we hear about this issues? This whole Bourgault thing just came out, so who knows what other issues players are going through.

Like Chaulk said it's not just a change on the ice for these kids. Lots of things off the ice are changing for them and it's a lot to take in all at once.
I think the jump to their first pro experience is probably the largest jump for most guys out of all levels.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Some of that whining came from extended Oilers PR HyBoble who grumbled on-air about Chaulk's handling. Hard to jump on short-term coaching decisions without the full picture of practise, locker room and frankly watching the games themselves.

A big thing is the quantum leap from junior/college to professional competition against men. Chaulk needs all players including skill guys to play a responsible two way game so a lot of the coaching work is regarding play away from the puck. There's no one in the system whose offensive upside is so great that the defensive side of the puck can be overlooked. It's a very hard reality that very few prospects will make the apex level of NHL play. Chaulk seems firm and fair in his coaching approach and not inclined to let pedigree or potential slip by without learning all of the skills, aptitude, and systems required to reach NHL level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’m sure it’ll happen again this year when the prospects aren’t played in roles they aren’t ready for and get eased into pro hockey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
will be interesting to see how the team comes together. I think the oilers have two guys who are no longer waiver exempt that are long shots for the big team. I think we will see a bunch of teams waive players like that all at the sametime trying to sneak players down

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Need some info please fellas.
Want to watch Condors this year. Best to get AHL package or is there a good stream?
I'm just west of Edm.
Appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad