Signing(s): Baker Mayfield signs with the Buccaneers (1 year, $8.5 million)

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Trask will be the starter if he's any good at all. He's had two years to learn the offense and study under the goat, so he'll have to be quite terrible in camp imo for Mayfield to take it. If he sucks so be it, we know Baker is trash so it'll just further help the Bucs towards a top 5 pick next year and a real franchise QB.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
From first overall to NFL gypsy.

Embarrassing
Dude has talent. A lot of talent. He even has a lot of drive, but he directed that energy the wrong way and never embraced the grunt work of learning how to read defenses. Instead, he was more focused on being mad at his critics than doing the right kind of work to prove them wrong.

NFL QB is the hardest job in pro sports.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Trask will be the starter if he's any good at all. He's had two years to learn the offense and study under the goat, so he'll have to be quite terrible in camp imo for Mayfield to take it. If he sucks so be it, we know Baker is trash so it'll just further help the Bucs towards a top 5 pick next year and a real franchise QB.

Didn't they just fire Leftwich?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Didn't they just fire Leftwich?

Yeah, and Bowles should've gone with him, but Trask still had two seasons to learn a lot about running an NFL offense. I'm sure the new guy from Seattle will have some changes(can't be any worse than Leftwich), but even so, I'd take Trask, at least initially, over Mayfield. If Trask is great, all the better. If not, Bucs will be garbage anyway and have a real shot at a franchise QB next year.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He's had quite a tour of the league in a span of 12 months. Cleveland to Carolina to Los Angeles and now to Tampa Bay

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is it the same offence now that Leftwich is gone?

Of the young QBs who had a shot at starting, best situation was Ridder with the same HC and OC. Trask, same HC (Defensive) but new OC. Corral, new HC and OC so he's likely now getting traded for a day 3 pick. Howell, same HC (Defensive) but new OC. Willis, same HC (Defensive) but new internal OC.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Is it the same offence now that Leftwich is gone?

Of the young QBs who had a shot at starting, best situation was Ridder with the same HC and OC. Trask, same HC (Defensive) but new OC. Corral, new HC and OC so he's likely now getting traded for a day 3 pick. Howell, same HC (Defensive) but new OC. Willis, same HC (Defensive) but new internal OC.

Even with a new OC, Mayfield sucks and the team invested a 2nd round pick on Trask. He's had two years studying under Brady and learning how to run an NFL offense. They aren't going anywhere with Mayfield, so unless the plan is to draft top 5 next year, they should make Trask the starter and see if he really is the QB for the future.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even with a new OC, Mayfield sucks and the team invested a 2nd round pick on Trask. He's had two years studying under Brady and learning how to run an NFL offense. They aren't going anywhere with Mayfield, so unless the plan is to draft top 5 next year, they should make Trask the starter and see if he really is the QB for the future.
I agree. And that is why it seemed strange for people to ignore Trask. And why you don't spend a 2nd round pick on a QB unless you are going to give the kid a shot one day. Unless TB gives him a shot, they were better off using that pick on a WR/DB/OL when they incurred injuries to those groups the past 2 seasons vs a 3rd string QB.

Just saying that for Trask, he's learning a new offence most likely with Leftwich gone. But, time for him to step up and take the job.

Bowles, I don't get the sense he'll survive this season with a bad record. If Trask fails and TB is in position to land a top QB in the draft, then TB will get a new offensive HC for the QB. Better to just pay the bill for that Super Bowl now and reset for 2024.

Reactions: JTBF81

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Short QBs will be back to being pariahs after this batch runs their course.

The Russell Wilson revolution is going to be the Russell Wilson walkback in in three or so years and short QBs will be back to never being drafted in the first round or at least not top 10.

Bucs will lose a lot, Baker will do this fist pumps and headbutts...and posterity will forget him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He’s definitely going to have the best receivers he’s ever had

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As a Bucs fan I really hate this move. If they were going to go get a guy who to apply 0 pressure on Trask and just be tanking guy for if Trask fails, I'd have rather they got Mariota. At least he's fun to watch.

If Trask isn't starting Day 1 over Baker Mayfield in Trask's 3rd year they may as well release him haha.

If Mayfield is starting, Bucs are gunning for #1 OVR in 2024, IMO.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Good for him. A bit of humble pie has served him well. He was the wrong guy to make the #1 overall pick because his ego already had him believing he was god's gift to football.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed, good post.

Now to complete his redemption, just needs to get his Progressive commercials back..
Baker beat out Trask for the job. I honestly had expected to play Trask this season to see what they have in him after investing a 2nd round pick in him. I mean, when they drafted him after Brady's first season, figured they draft depth at OL or some other position, but they opted for a developmental QB.

Baker made $8.5 mill this past season. With limited options, so what does he expect to get in the off-season? I don't see him getting $30 million. Curious to see what TB opts to do after taking a "bath" on this season with over $75 mill in dead cap charges. But, free agent QBs, you have Tanny, Cousins coming off an achillies, Jimmy G whom I expect LV to cut. Not exactly great options or upgrades or the younger Baker. If they secure the South Division, that puts their first rounder into the early 20's. The top 4 QBs should be off the board by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad