Bailey on Top Line for a Reason?

IslesFan94

Oct 21, 2014
I believe that Bailey was put on JTs line on purpose. Garth wanted to show teams that Bailey is a better player than he actually is but he's really not. We play EDM on Sunday, does anyone else that he will be talking to MacTavish about Hall,RNH, Yak, Eberle?

Trades:
For Hall we give up Bailey Lee Reinhart
For Yak we give up Donovan/Czuczman, Bailey
For Nugent-Hopkins we give up Reinhart, Grabner, Strait 2015 2nd
For Eberle we give up Bailey and Grabner.
In all honesty I don't think these would happen but EDM did just trade Perron for last 1st rounder and Klinkhammer( EDM got worse)

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I believe that Bailey was put on JTs line on purpose. Garth wanted to show teams that Bailey is a better player than he actually is but he's really not. We play EDM on Sunday, does anyone else that he will be talking to MacTavish about Hall,RNH, Yak, Eberle?

Trades:
For Hall we give up Bailey Lee Reinhart
For Yak we give up Donovan/Czuczman, Bailey
For Nugent-Hopkins we give up Reinhart, Grabner, Strait 2015 2nd
For Eberle we give up Bailey and Grabner.
In all honesty I don't think these would happen but EDM did just trade Perron for last 1st rounder and Klinkhammer( EDM got worse)

In my estimation, Bailey is clearly not the answer on the top line's LW. He's spent much of his Islander career being a warm body, nothing more.

Is Edmonton going in the tank? Probably. However, they'll need some veteran leadership for when Eichel or McDavid arrive. We can't really trade Grabner just yet, because his injury pretty well makes him untradeable.

If we're to make a pitch for Hall, management has to come from the "We're saving you money, Edmonton" angle, and mitigate his value as much as possible.

We have really strong depth at both forward and defense. So it's not unreasonable to start dangling that 2016 #1 pick. For me, it's easier to trade prospects you don't have than it is to trade prospects you do.

Let's say Edmonton goes for the 2016 #1 pick; in all likelihood, especially if they go in the tank this year, they'll be picking early in the 1st and 2nd round, which will allow them opportunity to move up in the first round [2016] like we did in 2009 to draft de Haan.

I'm not management, I'm not qualified to be in management, but I would like to make a move that doesn't gut the roster. If it's a move that vastly increases payroll, it has to be a move that will not be prohibitive in re-signing the likes of Johnny Boychuck and Nick Leddy.

Leddy doesn't concern me as a Group II [or former Group II] Free Agent. Boychuck could walk, and that's his right, but he's had a much bigger impact on this team than I was expecting, and I'd like him to stay.

If they get any of your suggested players for the right price, I do back flips.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I can't see any trades happening with the way the team is playing.

That said, there is room for improvement and I think Bailey, a valuable Islander who's still improving - is worth keeping but best used elsewhere. JT is picking it up but not because of Bailey on his left. I would switch Bailey with Nelson.

Nelson has cooled down and is not in the best scenario with Kulemin and Grabovski. Nelson had chemistry with Tavares on the PP early on and I would definitely try him on the first line. Nelson's size and skill would create more space for John.

Top 6 is now more dangerous and bottom 6 is extremely tough to play against and will score enough. Bailey's line would be a prototypical 3rd line getting hard assignments. Isles have 7 natural centers and that flexibility will help as the season goes deeper. I feel this maximizes the skill/abilities...

Nelson - JT - KO
Lee - Nielsen - Strome
Kulemin - Bailey - Grabovski
Martin - Czikas - Clutter

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I can't see any trades happening with the way the team is playing.

That said, there is room for improvement and I think Bailey, a valuable Islander who's still improving - is worth keeping but best used elsewhere. JT is picking it up but not because of Bailey on his left. I would switch Bailey with Nelson.

Nelson has cooled down and is not in the best scenario with Kulemin and Grabovski. Nelson had chemistry with Tavares on the PP early on and I would definitely try him on the first line. Nelson's size and skill would create more space for John.

Top 6 is now more dangerous and bottom 6 is extremely tough to play against and will score enough. Bailey's line would be a prototypical 3rd line getting hard assignments. Isles have 7 natural centers and that flexibility will help as the season goes deeper. I feel this maximizes the skill/abilities...

Nelson - JT - KO
Lee - Nielsen - Strome
Kulemin - Bailey - Grabovski
Martin - Czikas - Clutter

I agree. Nelson is out of place on that line with Kulemin and Grabovski. That will be a good line for Grabner if he can ever get healthy. With that said, if Grabner can get healthy, that should be Bailey's ticket out of town.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
In my estimation, Bailey is clearly not the answer on the top line's LW. He's spent much of his Islander career being a warm body, nothing more.

Is Edmonton going in the tank? Probably. However, they'll need some veteran leadership for when Eichel or McDavid arrive. We can't really trade Grabner just yet, because his injury pretty well makes him untradeable.

If we're to make a pitch for Hall, management has to come from the "We're saving you money, Edmonton" angle, and mitigate his value as much as possible.

We have really strong depth at both forward and defense. So it's not unreasonable to start dangling that 2016 #1 pick. For me, it's easier to trade prospects you don't have than it is to trade prospects you do.

Let's say Edmonton goes for the 2016 #1 pick; in all likelihood, especially if they go in the tank this year, they'll be picking early in the 1st and 2nd round, which will allow them opportunity to move up in the first round [2016] like we did in 2009 to draft de Haan.

I'm not management, I'm not qualified to be in management, but I would like to make a move that doesn't gut the roster. If it's a move that vastly increases payroll, it has to be a move that will not be prohibitive in re-signing the likes of Johnny Boychuck and Nick Leddy.

Leddy doesn't concern me as a Group II [or former Group II] Free Agent. Boychuck could walk, and that's his right, but he's had a much bigger impact on this team than I was expecting, and I'd like him to stay.

If they get any of your suggested players for the right price, I do back flips.
I do not agree with your assessment of Bailey. While he has been an under-performer when compared to expectations based on his draft position, evaluating his worth to the team in all areas of hockey should reveal a very useful utility player. Bailey does a little of everything good, some better than others, nothing that has the WOW factor which is what gets fans upset. He can be plugged anywhere in the lineup from top line to 4th line wing, and of course, in a pinch, play center.
The contract that Garth gave him so he could feel part of the "core" was a bit of an overpayment, and it makes him difficult to move. He has more value to the Islanders than he does anywhere else, and we have 4 more years on that deal.
At the least he provides roster depth and I would not move him for the sake of freeing up cap space with no decent return. He can play here and provide a contribution, at times surprisingly effective and productive, most other times just sufficient.

As for Hall, he really does not fit on this roster if for no there reason than his cap his is not needed at $6MM. Hall has a history of injuries, freakish or not, and he is a guy who needs the puck all the time (some say selfish). We have our LW sniper coming in a year or two, Dal Colle.
I do not want Hall, he is not a good fit. If JT is back on track, we need a big body crasher on LW for now. Lee would do well there.
I would keep Bailey until there is a better, more suitable return available. Don't want to just dump him.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Umm...I see no need to move Bailey unless some one is giving it away. BillD pretty much has it right. Not too many guys out there who can play anywhere you need them and do it without a noticeable drop off if any (sniper excluded of course).

I can see Bailey centering here: Kulemin - Bailey - Grabovski

As for this: "For Hall we give up Bailey, Lee, Reinhart" - GOOD LORD NO!!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tavares going on a bit of a roll while Bailey is on the top spot? Time to start dogging on the guy again...

He's contributing offensively, defensively, in the neutral zone, and miraculously was on the LW immediately when our star player started to play better. You don't move him or touch him at this point. Garth isn't artificially inflating his stats at this point, since Bailey is still producing at the same rate he always has, .5 ppg. His contract is also fine when compared to others around the league.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Bailey is supporting the top line with his defensive play and contributing offensively where needed. That top line prior to Bailey was a defensive liability. Their plus minus shows how uneven that line was prior to Bailey. He is balancing out the offensive minded JT and sometime lack of awareness in KO.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Tavares going on a bit of a roll while Bailey is on the top spot? Time to start dogging on the guy again...

He's contributing offensively, defensively, in the neutral zone, and miraculously was on the LW immediately when our star player started to play better. You don't move him or touch him at this point. Garth isn't artificially inflating his stats at this point, since Bailey is still producing at the same rate he always has, .5 ppg. His contract is also fine when compared to others around the league.

This... not a big Bailey fan but he can learn to help out on that line and he can become a Kunitz at some point, or the project fails at some point and you bring in Tanguay if Avs fall out or wait for Dal Colle.

Bailey is starting to learn to play with JT, play good D, stay on the perimeter, I look at Bailey as Parenteau with defense on that line.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Every time we score a goal and JT is on the ice (and it's not obvious that he was part of the play) I cross my fingers - listen real close to the goal announcement on TV and hope Tavares somehow picked up the second assist.. I find myself rooting for JT more than the other players.. So I'm with you on finding the LW for him..

I hated that they gave Conacher the shot and at the time I even posted on HFBoards they should give Bailey a try.. when Cappy went with Kulemin I was okay with that too to see what would happen..

Like many others, I feel Strome is probably the best choice if we want JT to pick up as many points as possible, but if we want the Islanders to pick up as many points as possible we need those two guys on different lines...

As I said, I personally put JT's fortunes before the other players sometimes - but I definitely try not to put him ahead of the team.. so as evidenced by our recent record, I say we stick with Bailey on that line.. I think he's the best option we've got .. trading him would be a mistake..

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like him on the first line. Keep them together and let them really get some time together.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
I think you guys still don't give Snow enough credit. There's no way he'd be dumb enough to force a trade at this point in the season. Maaaaaayyybe we'll see something at the deadline if they're a bubble team but i really doubt he makes a trade unless it's an offer he can't refuse.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
...i'm not trading Lee right now for anybody...he's the only guy in the entire organization that plays the style he does… And you need at least one guy like that if you want to win.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
...i'm not trading Lee right now for anybody...he's the only guy in the entire organization that plays the style he does… And you need at least one guy like that if you want to win.

Speaking of Lee - how do you have a guy as big as he is, as strong as he is, with the kind of hand-eye and hands in tight as he has, and NOT play him on the top PP unit? Seems like a big opportunity wasted. He and Strome should be permanent fixtures on our top unit from now on.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Bailey is a 0.5 PPG player, signed to a reasonable contract who can legitimately play on any of the four lines. He is a terrific role player for a winning team and a solid placeholder until the trade deadline. At the deadline, the Isles can look to add a rental for the playoff push and/or Bailey holds down the spot until MDC is ready next year, another player is added or someone rises internally to the top line alongside JT and KO.

There is no logical reason for the Isles to mess up their salary structure and cause future cap issues down the road by trading Bailey for a $6 million per-year player. I would rather keep Bailey, lock up KO long term and wait for MDC.

Could you imagine the outrage on this board if Snow traded Bailey and affordable assets like Reinhart/Pulock and Lee/Grabner for a player like RNH or Hall and then couldn't afford to retain KO and Nielsen when they hit UFA? That is a Mike Milbury move, no thanks.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Bailey is a 0.5 PPG player, signed to a reasonable contract who can legitimately play on any of the four lines. He is a terrific role player for a winning team and a solid placeholder until the trade deadline. At the deadline, the Isles can look to add a rental for the playoff push and/or Bailey holds down the spot until MDC is ready next year, another player is added or someone rises internally to the top line alongside JT and KO.

There is no logical reason for the Isles to mess up their salary structure and cause future cap issues down the road by trading Bailey for a $6 million per-year player. I would rather keep Bailey, lock up KO long term and wait for MDC.

Could you imagine the outrage on this board if Snow traded Bailey and affordable assets like Reinhart/Pulock and Lee/Grabner for a player like RNH or Hall and then couldn't afford to retain KO and Nielsen when they hit UFA? That is a Mike Milbury move, no thanks.

Totally agree. There is zero reason to change anything here, we have a great thing going on.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Speaking of Lee - how do you have a guy as big as he is, as strong as he is, with the kind of hand-eye and hands in tight as he has, and NOT play him on the top PP unit? Seems like a big opportunity wasted. He and Strome should be permanent fixtures on our top unit from now on.

Excellent point my friend...his ability to deflect point shots should be enough to have him on the top unit let alone everything else he does well.

...and Stromers vision and puck skill should absolutely see him out there as well...the pass he made for the first goal last night being a great example of just what he can bring.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Haven't been a Bailey fan at all but they has been a more productive 1st line with Bailey on it. I don't think Bailey will ever be confused with an actual 1st line talent however is Zuccs and Brassard (Rags) real first line talent? or Abdelkader (Detroit)? I'm sure there are a ton of examples of guys not 1st line talent playing on the teams 1st line...its also about chemistry, sometimes a more defensive forward on the top line enhances what the actual top line talent can bring....I think the 1st line has looked much better with Bailey on it, yes a more talented winger would be great in theory but nobody would know how they would mesh with JT and Kyle. I don't want the team touched at all, especially for a forward and giving up prospects and more picks to try to create a fantasy 1st line doesn't sit well with me. Stay the course, lets see what these guys can do before "improving" the top 3 team in the conference.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would focus the search on a competent backup G and not breakup the team chemistry.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Occam's Razor:

Perhaps Bailey is on the top line because the coach thinks that is the best combination and putting Bailey on the top line gives the Isles the best chance to win.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad