Bad takes

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
What are some bad takes you've had in wrestling? Opinions or predictions that you were wrong about.

I thought Test and Rene Dupree would be main eventers.

Around 2014, I thought Ryback should have got the super push that Roman Reigns was getting. I thought they were in the same tier in terms of in-ring ability but that Ryback should have got that push because he was more charismatic and bigger.

In 2006, I think most people thought The Miz would have a very short WWE career.

After Sasha Banks and Bayley main evented a Takeover, there was some interview with Bayley (maybe been that network special on the two) where she said she wants to main event WrestleMania. I was 100% sure we would never see women in the main event of WrestleMania. It happened maybe only a year or two later.

I was a kid but in 2000, I thought ECW would take WCW's spot as the #2 wrestling company.

At one point, I thought a good idea would be Ted DiBiase Jr to be the one to end Taker's streak. He's also another guy I thought would be a main eventer.

Reactions: Kaner9

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Rocky Maivia would never amount to anything. Had my core group of wrestling fans. We all hated The Rock in his pre-Rock days and said he would never make it. Well, except for my buddy Chad who said quote: "Screw you guys. He is going to be the biggest star one day." Chad was way ahead of everyone.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Rocky Maivia would never amount to anything. Had my core group of wrestling fans. We all hated The Rock in his pre-Rock days and said he would never make it. Well, except for my buddy Chad who said quote: "Screw you guys. He is going to be the biggest star one day." Chad was way ahead of everyone.
Fun fact: The "Die Rocky Die" chant was started by a friend of mine who is a well known wrestling journalist. He is also responsible for the single greatest moment in Raw history when after Brutis Beefcake did this ridiculously over the top woe is me interview he shouted out "So kill yourself!". Me and my friends in high school laughed about that for years.

Reactions: alko

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Call me crazy, but i hated when Rick Flair falls not flat on the back, but somehow only to one side of his back. That time i thought, it is some cheat to others wrestlers and therefore it didnt hurt him so much.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In 2006, I think most people thought The Miz would have a very short WWE career.

What an incredible career he's had, truly. Such a good worker, such a reliable employee for PR stuff, interviews, and WWE work outside of wrestling (movies, reality tv, etc). He's been an extremely talented and compelling character for years, with amazing promo work.

He's not always booked well - but overall, it's really amazing how far where he's come compared to what most people's expectations probably were when they first saw him.

Good call

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bayley as a heel. I didn't think she had the promo ability to pull it off, honestly. She's been very good.

I'm not a fan of her over the top laughing shit she started doing before she got injured, but everything up until that was fine.

Reactions: GKJ

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At one point, I thought a good idea would be Ted DiBiase Jr to be the one to end Taker's streak. He's also another guy I thought would be a main eventer.

You're not alone in backing DiBiase Jr. People thought that he had big things in his future and almost everyone preferred him to Rhodes.

Circa 1996 I thought that Eddie Guerrero sucked and was not worthy of winning the vaunted WCW US Heavyweight Championship.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I also thought Nathan Jones would be a world champion based on look alone. Guy was legit an absolute human house...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
"I could see WCW winning the ratings war again in a year or two now that they have Russo." -- me circa October 1999

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I thought the fingerpoke of Doom was brilliant and thought the NWO storyline might finally be going somewhere... lols.

I marked out for Hogan winning at WM 9

I thought Jannety was going to have the better career, of course this was before I knew anything about dirtsheets and that he was suspended.

Reactions: Brodeur and Kaner9

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
He did that to protect his back.

I read his autobiography a few months ago and if I remember right, him not landing fully on his back has to due with issues he always had from the plane crash he was in. I've always cringed at Flair taking back body drops because until the very last millisecond, it always looks like he's about to land on his head.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I thought screwing up Sean O'Haire was impossible, that he was the sort of can't miss project that nobody could blow. Turns out the guy couldn't stop laughing when cutting promos and barely listened when given advice.

Reactions: Brodeur and Fro

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I read his autobiography a few months ago and if I remember right, him not landing fully on his back has to due with issues he always had from the plane crash he was in. I've always cringed at Flair taking back body drops because until the very last millisecond, it always looks like he's about to land on his head.
This is also why lucha looks "wrong" to Americans: The way they bump is because the rings in Mexico are essentially unpadded so the guys have to for their own safety.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
No, he is awful at almost everything. Dude can't wrestle. At all.

Well, that's a bad take.

He is one of the best promos in AEW (well, not necessarily the content, but the delivery).

He is not a wizard in the ring, but he can tell a good story. He was the highlight of early AEW in that regard.

Everything went to shit after he lost the title to Darby though. He has been insufferable since then.

Reactions: Fro and SnS

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Well, that's a bad take.

He is one of the best promos in AEW (well, not necessarily the content, but the delivery).

He is not a wizard in the ring, but he can tell a good story. He was the highlight of early AEW in that regard.

Everything went to shit after he lost the title to Darby though. He has been insufferable since then.
He’s alright at promo. But not amazing enough to overcome his inability to wrestle.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I swear to god Flair took a back body drop, or the top rope toss spot in every single match he's ever had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad