GDT: Bad Mojo Gives Us The Blues - Hurricanes vs Blues

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Our shootout attempts were very poor to be honest. Just kind of underlines how we really just don't have any shooters.

That said, can't be upset with the result. Raanta in net and the team skating in mud all night on absolutely terrible ice, to get a point out of it is better than you'd expect.

It's not impossible that they have scouting reports on Pono that say he is ass at shootouts.
So he's above average by Canes standards?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Burns was the only really poor shooting attempt. He looked tired and just skated right at him. Gotta change the angle at least a little bit. All three other misses were using the exact move they’ve scored with before, all three executed the moves poorly because I think it’s a bad idea trying to recreate the same situation with different goalies. Instead of taking what the goalie is giving you and trusting the instincts that have gotten you there you’re trying to remember the exact distance from the goalie you scored with this particular move previously, and trying to match every detail. Harder than it sounds. It’s why Slavin stopped doing his magical backhands I’d suspect.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Burns was the only really poor shooting attempt. He looked tired and just skated right at him. Gotta change the angle at least a little bit. All three other misses were using the exact move they’ve scored with before, all three executed the moves poorly because I think it’s a bad idea trying to recreate the same situation with different goalies. Instead of taking what the goalie is giving you and trusting the instincts that have gotten you there you’re trying to remember the exact distance from the goalie you scored with this particular move previously, and trying to match every detail. Harder than it sounds. It’s why Slavin stopped doing his magical backhands I’d suspect.

I also imagine doing a shootout with the ice in the condition that it was probably wasn't the easiest. It's interesting that all three pucks that got past Raanta were low to the ice, just trying to get Raanta to move laterally. But Burns, TT and Martinook went glove-high against Binnington, I suppose trying to test if he'd flub it like he did in the regulation goal. But the best chance outside of the Aho goal was the Svech attempt at the right pad. Binnington barely got a piece of that one.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I also imagine doing a shootout with the ice in the condition that it was probably wasn't the easiest. It's interesting that all three pucks that got past Raanta were low to the ice, just trying to get Raanta to move laterally. But Burns, TT and Martinook went glove-high against Binnington, I suppose trying to test if he'd flub it like he did in the regulation goal. But the best chance outside of the Aho goal was the Svech attempt at the right pad. Binnington barely got a piece of that one.
Svech’s move is so simple. He skates on the same line every time moving right to left, does his little wave above the puck to keep the goalie hugging the post for just an extra second then he just pushes to his forehand and shoots hard to the far corner. As long as the goalie hesitates to move because of the stick wave, it works. If the goalie sees it for what it is and moves like three inches to his right Svech will hit the pad.

You’d have to think he needs a second move to counter the first. The goalies watch video.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Take the point and move on. Since the bad west coast road trip, the Canes have gotten at least 1 point in 12 out of 13 games. 8W-1L-1OTL-3SOL

So 20 out of a possible 26 points.

20 out of 26 pts is only a 126 pt pace. I hate to be "that guy" but I feel obligated to point out that six NHL teams have had more points than that in a season. Clearly it's time to tear it down; fire Rod and the Borg, trade Aho for futures, etc.

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Svech’s move is so simple. He skates on the same line every time moving right to left, does his little wave above the puck to keep the goalie hugging the post for just an extra second then he just pushes to his forehand and shoots hard to the far corner. As long as the goalie hesitates to move because of the stick wave, it works. If the goalie sees it for what it is and moves like three inches to his right Svech will hit the pad.

You’d have to think he needs a second move to counter the first. The goalies watch video.
I read somewhere that Oshie has been great in the SO because he has, like, three moves that all have identical approaches and differ only in split second release points.

It would be nice if we could cultivate a shooter like that. Hell, maybe that's exactly what Martinook does and I don't even know it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I read somewhere that Oshie has been great in the SO because he has, like, three moves that all have identical approaches and differ only in split second release points.

It would be nice if we could cultivate a shooter like that. Hell, maybe that's exactly what Martinook does and I don't even know it.
Mario Lemieux obviously did a lot of things well, but he was truly a master at breakaways. He predominantly used two moves that he could execute coming in from different angles but featured that release point concept. He would use his reach and hold it out on his forehand, open the blade and go over the glove. He could also from same exact blade position put it out on the forehand, open the blade up then quickly pull it to the backhand. Simple moves perfectly executed over and over again so the goalie never knew which way to go. Opposite sides of the net. He also was good at going left to right, waiting for the goalie to open up and go five hole but what I’ve already described was his bread and butter. I remember watching Oshie and thinking he had a similar style.

I think almost anyone at the NHL level could learn that skill if they tried hard enough, though obviously high end players can perfect it.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

That move he can just go five hole if he sees the goalies start anticipating it. Should be very effective as an alternative. He is theCanes all time leader in shootout goals.

Just looked it up, he’s top 10 in shootout goal % of all active players with 10 or more shots, so we have one very good shooter. And the rest not so much.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad