Online Series: Bad Batch (Final Season - Feb 21)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't think a spoiler tag is needed for a character in a trailer.

This is one of my least favorite Star Wars shows, but I'll finish it out. Hopefully a better season with less filler. Omega imprisoned with less screen time is promising.

Ventress and Cad Bane is interesting. Disney Star Wars is in love with their cameos so I'm sure those won't be the only two.

Reactions: Hivemind

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
When the show focuses on the darker elements of the series, it's 10/10, inject it straight into my veins material.

But when it's a jolly ol' rescue the kid, heist, jail break episode, then it's a complete coin toss.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Interesting how they're going to handle Ventress given that:

In one of the newer novels since the Disney merger she ends up dead by the end. And unlike the old EU (or "Legends" now) stuff that was "it's sorta canon until it contradicts something more important" the novels written since Disney took over and relegated the old EU to strictly non-canon are supposed to be 100% canonical just as much as any movie or TV show.

Dave Filoni has said that they are prepared to have her appearance in this show function alongside the events of said novel (Dark Disciple), but it'll be interesting to see how. That novel is supposed to be taking place during the waning days of the clone wars, possibly before or just around the events of Order 66, which would seem to place it easily before the events of The Bad Batch given that it starts right as Order 66 is happening and timeskips into season 2.

Also the novel and art from it line up with her new look, sporting hair and a hooded cloak

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

In one of the newer novels since the Disney merger she ends up dead by the end. And unlike the old EU (or "Legends" now) stuff that was "it's sorta canon until it contradicts something more important" the novels written since Disney took over and relegated the old EU to strictly non-canon are supposed to be 100% canonical just as much as any movie or TV show.

Dave Filoni has said that they are prepared to have her appearance in this show function alongside the events of said novel (Dark Disciple), but it'll be interesting to see how. That novel is supposed to be taking place during the waning days of the clone wars, possibly before or just around the events of Order 66, which would seem to place it easily before the events of The Bad Batch given that it starts right as Order 66 is happening and timeskips into season 2.

Also the novel and art from it line up with her new look, sporting hair and a hooded cloak

Yeah, I've read some internet speculation as to how she can return. Sounds like there's a few "realistic" ways.

Also, regarding that book, I listened to the audiobook of it and loved it. Book stuff:

Hated that she had her "end" in it as opposed to on-screen. But now also I kinda hate that dead characters can just return. But I'm glad she's back.

Disney/Star Wars can't win. :laugh:

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, I've read some internet speculation as to how she can return. Sounds like there's a few "realistic" ways.

Also, regarding that book, I listened to the audiobook of it and loved it. Hated that she had her "end" in it as opposed to on-screen. But now also I kinda hate that dead characters can just return. But I'm glad she's back.

Disney/Star Wars can't win. :laugh:

Might want to put that in spoiler tags considering it could be a plot point to her appearances in the show.

But on topic I'd heard some good things about the book so the reveal that she's in this upcoming season made me finally order a copy. Unfortunately it won't be here for like a month :laugh:

I actually want to make an effort to see if I can scoop up copies of a lot of the SW books that are out there, both post-Disney stuff that's canon and the old EU/Legends stuff (I got the "essential Legends" re-release of the original Thrawn Trilogy for christmas) so this might be a good step along the way.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Disney Star Wars is in love with their cameos so I'm sure those won't be the only two.
That started well before Disney. Even setting aside the EU and other secondary media, Lucas filled the prequel trilogy with tons of unnecessary (and often plot hole inducing) cameos.

This is far from the first time a Disney Star Wars show, movie, or video game has contradicted the supposedly "canon" Star Wars novels and comics. Even with Disney purging the EU to legends, there's still always going to be tiers of Star Wars media, and print media is pretty much on the bottom of the totem pole. There's gonna be more retcons, I'm sure.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That started well before Disney. Even setting aside the EU and other secondary media, Lucas filled the prequel trilogy with tons of unnecessary (and often plot hole inducing) cameos.

This is far from the first time a Disney Star Wars show, movie, or video game has contradicted the supposedly "canon" Star Wars novels and comics. Even with Disney purging the EU to legends, there's still always going to be tiers of Star Wars media, and print media is pretty much on the bottom of the totem pole. There's gonna be more retcons, I'm sure.

I know they ditched some of the stuff from the ahsoka novel, but this time apparently Dave Filoni said that whatever they're doing will be cognizant of the novels, so it seems like they're heading towards possibly reframing what happens in the book rather than just ignoring it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Was the timeline in the book ever specified? If not they could just say the book occurs after her appearance in the show. Although honestly, if they handle Ventress' appearance well I don't really care if it contradicts or conflicts with a book. I don't think they'd do something as blatant as completely change how her story ends, but I guess anything is possible.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was the timeline in the book ever specified? If not they could just say the book occurs after her appearance in the show. Although honestly, if they handle Ventress' appearance well I don't really care if it contradicts or conflicts with a book. I don't think they'd do something as blatant as completely change how her story ends, but I guess anything is possible.

The plot of the book involves tracking down and fighting Count Dooku, so it has to take place prior to the opening act of Episode III, about 19 years before the original movie.

The Bad Batch also begins 19 years before the original movie, but it's at some point concurrently with the late stages of Episode III given that the opening episode depicts clone troopers executing Order 66. Dooku's already well dead by that point. And then the second season is supposed to be almost a year later.

So basically there's no way for them to coexist at first glance because the book has to finish its story before Episode III starts and before The Bad Batch starts, which is still a year prior to where the next season's story is supposed to happen.

Ultimately I won't care too much if they fudge the timeline or retcon things a bit if they deliver a good story. After all I generally find I enjoy the old Expanded Universe incarnation of the post Return of the Jedi story than I did Episodes VII-IX. It's just funny how Disney had to bin off all the old EU stuff and declare it unequivocally non-canon while saying that all the books that would be released from here on out would be completely within canon and now only a few years later they're walking that back and engaging in shenanigans to try and weasel out of it.

That said I can see that perhaps there is a workable story path out of this:

She's one of the Night Sisters of Dathomir. I'm sure they can magic the heck out of things to resurrect her.

It'd also be interesting to see if they involve Quinlan Vos in the story as well given that Ventress and he together were the main characters of the book and their interactions supposedly carried the bulk of the story. It'd be possible too since there's a reference in the Kenobi show that indicates he survived Order 66.

Reactions: MadDevil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Omega isn't that bad but can get a little annoying with the "WE HAVE TO GO BECK!" type stuff every other episode.

1708879567588.png

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Omega isn't that bad but can get a little annoying with the "WE HAVE TO GO BECK!" type stuff every other episode.
That and she's the character/device that the writers most often use to make the show "family friendly." Like as soon as we saw her taking care of a space dog, it was painfully obvious that she would help it escape and it would eventually rescue her. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this show, but Omega is functionally the trope machine that sets up the "lesson the week" format.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That and she's the character/device that the writers most often use to make the show "family friendly." Like as soon as we saw her taking care of a space dog, it was painfully obvious that she would help it escape and it would eventually rescue her. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in this show, but Omega is functionally the trope machine that sets up the "lesson the week" format.
Or she is a character who is force sensitive and as has been shown a few times in the show, she has a link of sorts to animals using that sensitivity. She is a character that shows that the clones can be more than just programmed soldiers and have a human side to them. She brings an innocence than her brothers do not have.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad