Backes/Bobby Ryan/Kadri in a Points only Pool

Leafsmonster7

Sep 5, 2014
I'm in a points-only pool (slight emphasis on goals) and I'm debating on who to select late round. My reasoning so far for each player:

1. David Backes: First line center on one of the best teams in the NHL, consistent, a lock for 55-62 points

2. Bobby Ryan: With Spezza gone Ryan becomes the undisputed star in Ottawa. Unlike last year where he moved up and down the lines, I expect him to be a lock on the 1st line and 1st Powerplay. Expecting 53-65 points, with 31 goals.

3. Nazem Kadri- Had a poor season last year with 50 points in 78 games. Prior to that showed lots of promise in the lockout shortened season with 44 points in 48 games. Riskiest pick with most potential upside. Expecting 54-67 points.

Who would you select in my position?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Kadri seems too risky to me, he will likely have the worst linemates of the three and has the least experience. Backes and Ryan will probably have around the same point total. If there is a slight emphasis on goals I would take Ryan. Also, having Stastny may cut into some of Backes production.

Leafsmonster7

Sep 5, 2014
Your right Kadri is a bit of a gamble. It's tough decide between Ryan and Backes. My league gives points for game-winning goals, overtime goals/assists and shorthanded goals/assists. I have a feeling Backes will beat Ryan in most of those categories since St.Louis is a better team than Ottawa...

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I would have said Backes if your pool include +/-, pims, hits, etc.

Having said that, I think you should take Ryan since Mac-Turris-Ryan line was scoring at a great pace during a point in last season.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
I'd say Ryan as well. Backes is on such a deep team and won't be relied on as much to put up big points. Kadri is a boom or bust, highly offensive but it's still more uncertain where he's going to end up by the end of the season points wise.

Noly

Mar 3, 2014
I would have said Backes if your pool include +/-, pims, hits, etc.

Having said that, I think you should take Ryan since Mac-Turris-Ryan line was scoring at a great pace during a point in last season.

I agree with Paradoc. If it includes +/-, pims and hits, it's Backes by a landslide. IF you're missing all three of those, I'd go with Ryan.

NHLfanMTL

Sep 5, 2014
Montreal
Backes might end up being the second line center, so I would say to coinflip between the other 2, add a bit of excitement.

Leafsmonster7

Sep 5, 2014
Now I've been reading up on some articles saying the leafs might consider moving Kadri to the first line. Makes my decision alot harder, but I think I'll wait it out until preseason begins to see how teams Toronto, Ottawa and St.Louis are lining up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad