GDT: Back To Back, That's A Fact Jack - Hurricanes vs Canadiens

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The only thing that went wrong tonight is it provided no answer to the Raanta conundrum.

On one hand, he gave up at least one goal he shouldn’t have and looked very shaky on even routine saves. On the other hand, he got the win and that’s all we ask for a lot of the time.

I‘d still be hunting for a goalie while running PK as the starter, but hopefully this game at least made some progress in helping Raanta mentally.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The only thing that went wrong tonight is it provided no answer to the Raanta conundrum.

On one hand, he gave up at least one goal he shouldn’t have and looked very shaky on even routine saves. On the other hand, he got the win and that’s all we ask for a lot of the time.

I‘d still be hunting for a goalie while running PK as the starter, but hopefully this game at least made some progress in helping Raanta mentally.
limited shots allowed in 3rd was a major factor (in the conundrum)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don’t know how you could take anything positive out of an .857 sv % against Montreal of all teams.

Sure, he got the W which is the ultimate goal but we’re not always going to score 4+ goals and it was against a terrible opponent.

We still need another goalie and this win doesn’t change that in any way.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don’t know how you could take anything positive out of an .857 sv % against Montreal of all teams.

Sure, he got the W which is the ultimate goal but we’re not always going to score 4+ goals and it was against a terrible opponent.

We still need another goalie and this win doesn’t change that in any way.

By no means am I disagreeing with your main point, but this year's Montreal does seem to be a tier above last years Montreal. Last year they finished with 68 pts; this year they're on pace for 84.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

I don’t know that anything went wrong. He’s the same goalie they waived. It’s not mental, his body can’t do it anymore. If you can get post to post on a wrap around more than once in a couple of weeks you’re cooked. I hate it, but it’s the truth. If they aren’t looking hard at another option they are failing the guys in the room.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t know that anything went wrong. He’s the same goalie they waived. It’s not mental, his body can’t do it anymore. If you can get post to post on a wrap around more than once in a couple of weeks you’re cooked. I hate it, but it’s the truth. If they aren’t looking hard at another option they are failing the guys in the room.

His age and ability has a lot to do with it, sure, but I don't think it's right to dismiss the mental/confidence aspect of goaltending as well. He's gone from the 1a/1b duo we had in years past to being solidly in that backup position now, and thus, expectations for him have to change.

And as far as I'm concerned, the expectation for Raanta right now is simply "Don't lose us the game." He can look bad as long as he comes away as the winning goalie at the end of the night. And a right mindset and confidence can win games that would otherwise be losses.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Unlike some previous wraparounds against, I don't see last night's as an example of Raanta not being physically able to get across quickly enough. He so over committed to the right he got his right leg caught on the outside of the post; no way he was going to get over to the left post from that position.

Just pointing that out for clarity, not an argument against your general point.

raanta overcommit.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
His age and ability has a lot to do with it, sure, but I don't think it's right to dismiss the mental/confidence aspect of goaltending as well. He's gone from the 1a/1b duo we had in years past to being solidly in that backup position now, and thus, expectations for him have to change.

And as far as I'm concerned, the expectation for Raanta right now is simply "Don't lose us the game." He can look bad as long as he comes away as the winning goalie at the end of the night. And a right mindset and confidence can win games that would otherwise be losses.
I’m not dismissing the mental part of goaltending, it just doesn’t look like that’s the issue with Raanta. Maybe it’s part of it, but if it is it’s because he can’t physically do some of the things he used to.

At worst it’s more physical than mental which I don’t think can be corrected.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It says something about our offensive depth that it stands out so much that we missed him.
What does Colorado look like without Landeskong?

Unlike some previous wraparounds against, I don't see last night's as an example of Raanta not being physically able to get across quickly enough. He so over committed to the right he got his right leg caught on the outside of the post; no way he was going to get over to the left post from that position.

View attachment 792110
That’s interesting. That’s a mental mistake that may be caused by a loss of trust in physical? Either way, this doesn’t look correctable to me. Then again I’m not exactly a goalie expert.

Reactions: geehaad

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

View attachment 792110
BUT he also got caught out of position several times, not because of over-committing, but because he simply couldn't stop himself from sliding to change directions quickly. This I think was another example of that as opposed to a mental mistake...he had to do everything he could to block that post, then physically can't recover to change positions quickly enough to stop the wraparound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad