Blue Jays Discussion: Back in Toronto AND things are happening (trade deadline @ 4pm ET/1pm PT today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Sounds like SD was also after Berrios. I assume that's why it cost us what it did to get him. We had to raise the stakes to make the deal. I think it'll be worth it.
according to the rumours, the usual AL East teams were in on Berrios. I'm not happy with the price, but having to deal with him on rays/yanks would make things significantly worse.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ross Atkins Details Toronto Blue Jays Trade for Jose Berrios and Blue Jays Trade Deadline Discussions

July 30, 2021

Baseball on Fanatics View

Watch as Ross Atkins Details Toronto Blue Jays Trade for Jose Berrios & Blue Jays Trade Deadline Discussions

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The other reason why Berrios is a big get for the Jays is it will increase their chances of getting into the playoffs and also advancing - sounds stupid I know but hear me out.

The Jays are likely going to be a WC team.

Look at the teams the Jays will be chasing and potentially facing in the WC game and their top 4 starters:

Red Sox: (Eovaldi, Sale, Pivetta, Perez)
Tampa: (McClanahan, Yarbrough, Wacha, Patino)
Yankees: (Cole, Montgomery, German, Taillon)
A’s: (Manaea, Bassitt, Irvin, Kaprielian)

Jays: (Ray, Berrios, Ryu, Manoah)

If anyone of these teams need wins in the last week of the season to get in the playoffs or win their division they may have to use one or more of the top guys.

If they do and the Jay get one of them in a WC game, then we should be in a position to use one of Ray, Ryu or Berrios vs potentially the other team’s “non-ace” and I would really like our chances in that game.

If Cole, Manaea, Sale and Eovaldi can’t go in the wildcard game, I like our chances vs anyone of those pitchers (except for Yarbrough) especially if we can send one of Ryu, Ray or Berrios on regular rest to the bump.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
July 19, 2018
The Cleveland Indians announced Thursday that they acquired All-Star closer Brad Hand and pitcher Adam Cimber from the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Francisco Mejia.

2018:
Hand with the Padres: 0.0 bWAR
Cimber with the Padres: 0.6 bWAR

Both traded to Cleveland.

2021:
Hand with the Nationals: 0.0 bWAR
Cimber with the Marlins: 0.5 bWAR

Both traded to Toronto.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The cost of acquiring a stud pitcher in his prime usually makes you go gulp. This might be a double big gulp.
But he’s here now. It’s pretty great.
It is shaping up to remind me of the 90s, when the Jays had good pitching, and kept adding even more.

Last edited:

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
The Berrios trade is awful for us imo.

We probably aren't even making the playoffs this year - it makes no sense to give up two of our best prospects in these circumstances. Yes, he has one more year of control - the value we get from Berrios for 1.5 years is going to be an awful lot less than 6 or 7 years of Martin & SWR.

No bueno.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The Berrios trade is awful for us imo.

We probably aren't even making the playoffs this year - it makes no sense to give up two of our best prospects in these circumstances. Yes, he has one more year of control - the value we get from Berrios for 1.5 years is going to be an awful lot less than 6 or 7 years of Martin & SWR.

No bueno.
Makes it easier if you sign him to a 4-5 year extension before the end of next season before he gets to free agency.

You could argue we could sign him as a free agent anyways, but we wouldn't have him until then and good chance he gets traded somewhere else and extends or doesn't pick us in free agency.

I think keeping him long term is way more likely by trading for him and having success the next 1.5 years.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Makes it easier if you sign him to a 4-5 year extension before the end of next season before he gets to free agency.

You could argue we could sign him as a free agent anyways, but we wouldn't have him until then and good chance he gets traded somewhere else and extends or doesn't pick us in free agency.

I think keeping him long term is way more likely by trading for him and having success the next 1.5 years.
Just a heads up Berrios has said he will test free agency when he has the chance. I believe it’s him anyway

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Whether he likes it or not he has to come, if he pitches like crap he torpedo's his chance to earn big money since he will be entering FA at 28. Also, the ability to sign him beyond next year has nothing to do with the value of the trade, at this point Martin and Woods Richardson are a sunk cost.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Whether he likes it or not he has to come, if he pitches like crap he torpedo's his chance to earn big money since he will be entering FA at 28. Also, the ability to sign him beyond next year has nothing to do with the value of the trade, at this point Martin and Woods Richardson are a sunk cost.
I’m not sure about that. Toronto usually has a lot easier time re-signing players who have played in Toronto, or are Canadian, than players who haven’t played in Canada before. Getting Berrios for a year and a half likely improves the chances of the Jays signing him next year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I hate the trade for Berrios tbh. Such a huge cost to potentially only have a guy for just over a season when we arent even likely to make the playoffs this season. This trade needed to happen last off-season, not at the deadline.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yup but didn't look happy at all to be coming here

Drafted by Minny 9 years ago, has lived there for 5 years, wife and 3 kids uprooted during a pandemic. I can see plenty of reasons why he’d be upset. A lot of people mentioning him wanting to test free agency, but assuming he finds early success here, the potential of getting paid + having the opportunity to annually compete with this current core has to be enticing. Twins were never going to provide that opportunity and he knew that.

The Jays have been in on marquee free agent pitchers the last couple of years now. It’s unsurprising that they would feel confident in their ability to pay Berrios.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Drafted by Minny 9 years ago, has lived there for 5 years, wife and 3 kids uprooted during a pandemic. I can see plenty of reasons why he’d be upset. A lot of people mentioning him wanting to test free agency, but assuming he finds early success here, the potential of getting paid + having the opportunity to annually compete with this current core has to be enticing. Twins were never going to provide that opportunity and he knew that.

The Jays have been in on marquee free agent pitchers the last couple of years now. It’s unsurprising that they would feel confident in their ability to pay Berrios.
Oh yeah it's gotta be hard to uproot all of a sudden for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad