Sportsnet: Baby Faces of the Franchise

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fantastic Read:

Willie, Kaspi and Brownie. Side by side, they seem more like a group of teenage friends goofing off in the back of a high-school math class than the forwards a downtrodden Leafs fan base is pinning its hopes on. They chirp each other about their talent in video games, FIFA in particular, and critique each other’s posts on Instagram. Each enjoys the relative anonymity that comes with being a minor-league player in an enormous city. Only Nylander gets recognized on the streets—likely a combined result of his high profile as the Leafs’ first-round pick in 2014 and his well-maintained blond coif and boy-band appeal. “They ask for a picture and say, ‘Oh, you’re going to play for the Leafs,’†Nylander says with a sly grin, hints of his Swedish roots in his voice. “I’m the guy they get to take the picture,†Kapanen says, laughing.

On Nylander:

Nylander has the most swagger of the three, with a fun, boyish manner. On the ice, he’s like a puppy chasing after a ball. During a photo shoot, he drifts toward loose pucks any chance he gets. He wagers $100 with Kapanen to see who can hit the other’s stationary stick from across the ice. When he wins, he celebrates gleefully and informs his teammate that he plans to collect. Later, he flips a puck off the ice and bats it out of the air, sending it top shelf, and starts singing “Jose! Jose, Jose, Jose!†the chant Blue Jays fans sing for slugger Jose Bautista when he hits a home run. Nylander followed the Jays’ post-season run with great interest. He knows how crazy the city could get if it happened to enjoy the same success in hockey. He acknowledges that there’s a lot of pressure, but says he relishes it. “It makes me play better. I like it,†he says. “I’m not worried right now—but maybe later.â€

On Kapanen:

Since he made the move to Toronto, where he lives alone in a downtown condo, regular phone calls with his dad have been essential. Kapanen doesn’t hide the fact that he gets homesick. And it didn’t help that he started his first two weeks of the season lying on a couch at home, sick with the flu, watching reruns of Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother. The setback resulted in a slow start to his rookie season in the AHL, but the Leafs believe he can develop into a highlight-reel threat on offence. “He’s shown bursts of speed that can break open a game,†says Keefe. He needs more time to adapt to the game in the AHL and pack on some of the pounds he shed while ill. (He did his part by stealing a few short ribs from Brown’s plate before Brown arrived for lunch.)

On Brown:

Brown is blessed with remarkable hockey IQ. What he does away from the puck is more impressive than what he does with it. From the seats at Ricoh, it’s hard to keep track of him—he’s everywhere, grinding away. “Brown is an extremely intelligent player,†says Keefe, who was first impressed by the right-winger when he coached against him in the OHL. “He’s the kind of guy you want to have play on every line because he can do so much.â€

Full Article: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/big-read-baby-faces-of-the-maple-leafs-franchise/

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Good article to be sure. Too bad Kaspanen is living alone, I think that is a bit daunting at his age, couldn't he be living with someone else on the Marlies?

I think as the season progesses the Marlies might get some more fans. I would hope so, I know if I lived in Toronto I would be going to a few games.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
One thing this article reminds me is that we have gotten really lazy for nicknames these days. Just shorten a name, throw "ie" at the end and boom there you go :).

But it is a nice article. It shows the kind of guys these prospects are and the road ahead of them. All three of the guys in that article are moving forward. Some days are good and there are setbacks.

There is certainly a strategy in mind here and they are working through it. It's certainly a comfort to know and see that happening.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Was about to click on the link for a 'fantastic read', but then I saw it was a Sportsnet article... How can this be? :help:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good article to be sure. Too bad Kaspanen is living alone, I think that is a bit daunting at his age, couldn't he be living with someone else on the Marlies?

I think as the season progesses the Marlies might get some more fans. I would hope so, I know if I lived in Toronto I would be going to a few games.

Kapanen living on his own? Damn. I would totally offer to be his roommate if I could afford it.

I'm surprised he's not living with Leo.

The two seem to be best friends.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Some people just like to be insular. I lived on my own at 19. i loved it. everything was how i wanted it/needed it. How i am going to live with someone I'll never know :laugh:

anyway it was a great article.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

"An introverted Finn looks at his shoes when talking to you; an extroverted Finn looks at your shoesâ€.
Being quiet, alone, isolated is just being normal for most Finns. The culture does not look at this as a negative. He would probably have issues sharing a space with a young, gregarious personality. Won't be daunting for a Finn at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad