Babcock - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bps21*

What if this is just an elaborate ruse to make Holland finally get the defensive upgrade he's been asking for since 2012?

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
What if this is just an elaborate ruse to make Holland finally get the defensive upgrade he's been asking for since 2012?

I think it's beyond that point. I don't think he'll go back to Detroit after publicly courting other teams like this. Particularly because Detroit already has his replacement lined up.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Global reporter here. I'll look up the tweet. Plus our own radio guy Bob Stauffer just going on and on and on about him. He usually does that when something is going down. He told our PBP guy to expect a very busy week next week.

Excellent news. Probably the best choice for the Oilers. I hope they can keep Nelson on as well.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Sorry not a Global reporter

Paul Almeida‏@AzorcanGlobal
Expect Tuesday May 19th press conference to announce Todd McLellan as #Oilers new head coach. The Worlds are over Sunday & Monday travel day

Add Elliot Friedman basically saying it's done as well.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Sorry not a Global reporter

Paul Almeida‏@AzorcanGlobal
Expect Tuesday May 19th press conference to announce Todd McLellan as #Oilers new head coach. The Worlds are over Sunday & Monday travel day

Add Elliot Friedman basically saying it's done as well.

Is Almeida the cranky guy who hosts that saturday show with Lowetide?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So TM is supposed to be having a presser in Edmonton Tuesday. Looks like Philly,TO, and Buffalo in a three way race?

umm Detroit says Hello.

In fact, McKenzie called Detroit the front runner this morning on the Team 1260. He did agree it was a three horse race though but His list excluded Philly at the moment.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think it's beyond that point. I don't think he'll go back to Detroit after publicly courting other teams like this. Particularly because Detroit already has his replacement lined up.

Exploring other options doesn't mean a whole lot. He could easily look at what's out there, not like what he sees, and come back to Detroit. I mean, he was just in Prague watching the Worlds with Holland.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I heard that as well. Bobby Mac says right now it's Detroit, TO, and Buffalo.

He says Buffalo and TO might not really be that far along in their rebuilds for Babcock to want to go there.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I heard that as well. Bobby Mac says right now it's Detroit, TO, and Buffalo.

He says Buffalo and TO might not really be that far along in their rebuilds for Babcock to want to go there.

TO is a ways off in my opinion. I say no chance he goes there. It's between Buffalo and Detroit for me.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but I have a hard time understanding why a coach with his track record, who would command as much interest as he would, would be interested in going to any team that is not in contention now?

Why would he go to a team that is going to require 2+ years minimum of hard work and a lot of luck just to maybe even get to that point?

If he leaves Detroit, I think he would seek out a team where he believes he could turn them around enough to win now.

And there are a number of teams out there who have a solid makeup and could do better with just a better coach, and that would be willing to pay that man a lot of $.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but I have a hard time understanding why a coach with his track record, who would command as much interest as he would, would be interested in going to any team that is not in contention now?

Why would he go to a team that is going to require 2+ years minimum of hard work and a lot of luck just to maybe even get to that point?

If he leaves Detroit, I think he would seek out a team where he believes he could turn them around enough to win now.

And there are a number of teams out there who have a solid makeup and could do better with just a better coach, and that would be willing to pay that man a lot of $.

Which teams that don't already have a coach? The only one I can think of is St. Louis.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

That's funny. I mean, Toronto is still looking to trade its "Vanek" and "Pominville", and they really haven't done the tear down yet. After the tear down you get the actual bottom feeding years.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If it's down to money, Buffalo probably has the biggest budget to supply him with what he wants.

How much do you think he's going to get paid? I never understand this when it gets brought up. If he's making less than $10 million per year than any team currently pursuing him has a big enough budget to afford him. It doesn't count against the salary cap.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That's funny. I mean, Toronto is still looking to trade its "Vanek" and "Pominville", and they really haven't done the tear down yet. After the tear down you get the actual bottom feeding years.

Exactly. That's why I don't see him going to Toronto. He's not going to want to go to a team that's just going to get worse in the immediate future. At least Buffalo has nowhere to go but up :sarcasm:

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
umm Detroit says Hello.

In fact, McKenzie called Detroit the front runner this morning on the Team 1260. He did agree it was a three horse race though but His list excluded Philly at the moment.

didn't McKenzie also say that Edmonton was Babcock's top choice a couple weeks ago?

he doesn't know a damn thing where Babcock will go. only Babcock knows that.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
How much do you think he's going to get paid? I never understand this when it gets brought up. If he's making less than $10 million per year than any team currently pursuing him has a big enough budget to afford him. It doesn't count against the salary cap.

I wish CapGeek was up, but I think they have a good budget to obtain players, solid youth core. Something he can build.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

There's more to spending money than just having enough of it. Pegula's assets seem to be pretty liquid, and he's established that he's willing to spend whatever it takes to get what he wants/give Buffalo whatever competitive edge he can. (See: the heavily front-loaded contracts he gave out in free agency back in ~2011 when he thought the team was just a few players away from contending, the FNC renovations, the Harbor Center, and the doubling of the team's scouting staff under his ownership for reference. You could even argue that his approval of a wholesale rebuild is another example here; there are plenty of teams in the NHL who would or could not handle the revenue loss that comes with being terrible for a period of time, even if it means being a better team in the long run.) Other teams may have as much or more money at their disposal, but are they as able and willing to spend it as Pegula is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad