Speculation: Babcock hints

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Post game said they wanted to look at Holl neway had no opp. Then said a cpl others may get a shot still....but no room now. Sounds pretty guaranteed we will be seeing several trades sooner or later. Id imagine he meant Johnsson and possibly Alto and maybe Lily or Sparky....thoughts?

Who moves and are we just trading for picks? Odd comment..no room, there4 meaning wing, so any trade we arent going 4 a winger..obvious.

Still cant believe the growth of Dermott. Between camp and now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Post game said they wanted to look at Holl neway had no opp. Then said a cpl others may get a shot still....but no room now. Sounds pretty guaranteed we will be seeing several trades sooner or later. Id imagine he meant Johnsson and possibly Alto and maybe Lily or Sparky....thoughts?

Who moves and are we just trading for picks? Odd comment..no room, there4 meaning wing, so any trade we arent going 4 a winger..obvious.

Still cant believe the growth of Dermott. Between camp and now.
He was the man down there, when he got the call he was full of confidence, fully ripe and ready to make an impact. I was hoping he would make it out of camp, but he wasn't awesome, just steady. The guy we see now is a product of good development, sure he could have stuck prior, but would he have been this good? Don't think so, there's something to be said for not rushing a kid, especially a D man.

Reactions: The Magic Man

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think he means Johnsson and Aalto, Lily has no chance this season, but I could be wrong.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he means Johnsson and Aalto, Lily has no chance this season, but I could be wrong.

I think Johnsson makes the most sense. I don't think anyone else has earned it. Aalto plays a different role on the Marlies then he would on our NHL team too.

He might want to see Rosen one more time. I also thought Marchment could be a good 4th liner. Sparks and Pickard as well.

Liljegren won't come up barring catastrophe on defense with injuries.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Johnsson Is likely fully NHL ready but st the moment no room.

If those Martin rumours though play out (ie that the Leafs may be shopping him) it does open up some new opportunities for younger guys to get some game time.

Would also like to see Aaltonen get some NHL games in before he season ends.

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
Trade Komarov, martin, and polak, move Nylander to center, bring in Johnsson and Altonen.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen/Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Marner/Kapanen
JVR-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Leivo

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Holl/Borgman/Carrick

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Trade Komarov, martin, and polak, move Nylander to center, bring in Johnsson and Altonen.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen/Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Marner/Kapanen
JVR-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Bozak-Leivo

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Holl/Borgman/Carrick

And poof good bye depth!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Really think we might as well trade Bozak if he's going to play 4C. Might as well give guys like Aaltonen a look there.

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
And poof good bye depth!

Not really, the new Nylander line will be better than Bozak's current line. One of Kadri or Matthews lines will be better, and the other worse. Those 3 lines are a wash - 1 better, 1 worse, 1 the same. The 4th line, arguably, becomes a huge improvement.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not really, the new Nylander line will be better than Bozak's current line. One of Kadri or Matthews lines will be better, and the other worse. Those 3 lines are a wash - 1 better, 1 worse, 1 the same. The 4th line, arguably, becomes a huge improvement.

I’m starting to think you don’t know what depth is

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
Really think we might as well trade Bozak if he's going to play 4C. Might as well give guys like Aaltonen a look there.

That's a fair point, and I considered that. The thing is, if you use Bozak with Leivo and a decent other player, that's a 4th line that can score against other 4th lines, and hides Bozak's defensive liabilities because other fourth lines can't score. Off season, bozak walks.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That's a fair point, and I considered that. The thing is, if you use Bozak with Leivo and a decent other player, that's a 4th line that can score against other 4th lines, and hides Bozak's defensive liabilities because other fourth lines can't score. Off season, bozak walks.
I don't know, I just feel like if we can acquire a 1st for Bozak, we should do it. Having an additional 1st will go a long towards acquiring an impact player this offseason, or can replace whatever prospects we deal for said player.

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
I’m starting to think you don’t know what depth is

If your definition of depth is having players play in the AHL, then yea, I don't think that's depth. We have like 4-5 guys that could play in the NHL right now that are waiting. For who? Komarov to keel over? Martin to fight? Why waste those young guys in the AHL when the guys playing on the big club aren't producing anywhere near where they should?

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
I don't know, I just feel like if we can acquire a 1st for Bozak, we should do it. Having an additional 1st will go a long towards acquiring an impact player this offseason, or can replace whatever prospects we deal for said player.

Yea, I agree. I just don't know what we could get for him. He's tough to gauge.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
And poof good bye depth!
Not at all really, more like poof! contract slots! That lineup still didn't include Soshnikov and Marlies are crazy deep on the wing as well. Rychel, Timashov,Bracco get bigger roles. the ECHL team has guys like Dzierkals and Piccinich on their roster as well. Everybody bumps up a slot if you call up Johnsson and Aaltonen.

Then on defense the Marlies had like 9 guys at one point anyways, Marincin and Rosen are down there still too.

We've always lacked center depth but we do have some options to test out this year. If you open up contract slots you could take a shot at an undrafted free agent center like Brayden Burke (lighting up the western league, 288 points in his last 2.5 seasons)

Reactions: leafs10101

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

No chance of that I dont think. A 2nd is probable though. Boyle cost the Leafs a 2nd. Id much rather have Boyle over Bozak.

JVR should get u a 1st, plus. Then u have a 1st,2nd pick to use to acquire a 3C.

Moving these 2 guys is a no brainer. Id resign Komarov 1.5 million cap hit for 2 years. Part ways with Martin and Komarov replaces him on that line and saves u 1 million.

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018
No chance of that I dont think. A 2nd is probable though. Boyle cost the Leafs a 2nd. Id much rather have Boyle over Bozak.

JVR should get u a 1st, plus. Then u have a 1st,2nd pick to use to acquire a 3C.

Moving these 2 guys is a no brainer. Id resign Komarov 1.5 million cap hit for 2 years. Part ways with Martin and Komarov replaces him on that line and saves u 1 million.

Komarov for another 2 years? :|

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA

Let's dumb it down to basic math. +1-1+0=0. Doing those moves are a lateral move at best while also ruining our depth and hurting our PK. The 4th line might be slightly better but it's not worth the price of weakening one of our top lines

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If your definition of depth is having players play in the AHL, then yea, I don't think that's depth. We have like 4-5 guys that could play in the NHL right now that are waiting. For who? Komarov to keel over? Martin to fight? Why waste those young guys in the AHL when the guys playing on the big club aren't producing anywhere near where they should?
Sure they’re ready to get into the NHL but certainly not in replacement of a bunch of your vets playing tough minutes. If you make decisions you can’t reverse to just drop 3 rookies in, 2 or 3 of them are going to go through rough stretches and will either need to go back down or need sheltering to not wreck their confidence. If you irreversibly ditch your vets then you don’t ha e that option. You can’t even send people down without bringing up players that probably need even MORE sheltering. Then god for it you have 3 defensemen go down with injury again and have to call 2 up for a stretch.

Holl and Dermott did well, but remember Dermott has been sheltered a number of these games and it’s no guarantee he’s going to continue this curve. There are likely tough times and cold streaks ahead and times where he needs to take a step back and figure things out.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You don’t want to just give guys a spot. The only way the should be on the team is if they earn it and can stay there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad