Speculation: Babcock’s Line Change: Brown Unexpected Hero?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Jim Hughson was sharing some interesting stats on Tyler Bozak tonight. He was talking about both sides of the game.

Quick look says that while we have discussed Leo’s demotion and Marner’s shift and the impact it has had offensively on the Kadri line, an overlooked component of this was Brown playing with Bozak and JVR.

Last 15 games... Bozak is +10.

I wasn’t expecting that. Many factors of course but on the surface, this new linemate hasn’t weakened this line. If anything, there is an argument in favour of solidifying it.

Brown is a solid addition.

Last edited:

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I didn't know that stat, but I had been saying to myself that the Bozak line of late hadn't been on the ice nearly as much when we were scored upon. As much as I see bozak not in Leafs Jersey next year, I still think there is a chance he is resigned to a team friendly deal for our 3C role. Him and brown have been decent and JVR has been on fire lately. I doubt JVR will be back because of cap restraints, but I wouldn't mind Bozak back. Throw Kappy and Brown on his wings next season and I think that would be a respectable line, with a good mix of speed, offense and defensive responsibility. Time will tell.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Brown is the perfect 3rd liner - hardworking, defensively sound, can finish, and is able to slide up your lineup in case of injury.

He'll never be a star or get a lot of attention, but he helps us win, there's no doubt of that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Brown was a necessary component on a line with two defensive liabilities.

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Brown likes to help out alot down low defensively, as marner tried too, but Brown is alot more effective at it, as much is evident. With the right side being solid defensively and Bozak being asked to help breakout more with marner being shifted, perhaps he's not doubting his position defensively as much. That on top of getting his legs moving offensively, which allows him to follow the play more fluidly. IMO Bozak has a problem in games where he just can't get going to the pace of play, but when he's starting it more often and not doubting his lines defensive positioning, it seems he's able to dictate his own pace/positioning a bit more, allowing better possession, and understanding of roles in the defensive zone.

my 2 cents feel free to let me know if im talking out of my ass :)

Reactions: 54thecup

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Combining three offensive players usually ends up with a line that has more games that they exploit the opposition, but more games they also get exploited. If you look at Kadri's +/-, it's a rather hum-drum affair for the first little while. -1, 0, +1. No big swings. Now that he's on with two offensive players, they exploit and you'll see +4, +3... but you'll also see -2, -3 as well. If you're a star player in this league looking for a big fat juicy turnover for an odd-man rush, the chances are, it's not going to happen as often with lines that have a Hyman, Komorov, or Brown. IMHO, the biggest mistake the Leafs made was starting to move players like Stajan, Kulemin, and Hagman for players like Versteeg, Lupul, and JVR. The synergy of having Brown on with Bozak and JVR makes that line a much more balanced. Now the balance problem is on Kadri's line. Kadri in his last 15, is overall a -4, and if you consider how Columbus and Ottawa fell on their face boasting their +/- in two easy games, that 'offensive' line really a double-edged sword. I would say in a perfect world, there's a 'Brown'-type element on every line.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I really, really thought we were past using +/-, especially over small sample sizes, to judge performance. But if we are, then you have to look at why it's changing. It's improving for that line because of better zone starts and scoring more points, not because they're playing better defensively. And the reason they're scoring more points isn't Brown either, it's Bozak and JVR playing better, as indicated by the fact that Brown has half the ES points of either of them on that line.

If JVR and Bozak are looking better, it's more likely that it's because Brown is contributing little than because he's contributing a lot - opposing coaches no longer feel the need to match strong defensive players up against that line (or at least they need to save their usage for the Marner line).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There was a lot of praise for Brown solidifying that lines defensive play early in his stint. Nice to see the line start producing offensively, even if Brown himself isn't.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Or maybe bozak and jvr realized that they are in contract years and are turning it on, to set themselves up for a retirement contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He should start next season in the top 9 - will be interesting to see how he fairs offensively with consistent skilled linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad