Confirmed with Link: [AZ/OTT] Jakob Chychrun in exchange for a conditional first in ’23, a conditional second in ’24, & a 2nd in ‘26

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It comes down to Norris' health
I disagree that it is close. Vejjie for Pinto seems a real possibility.
I don’t think they will be confident enough this summer to deal their depth given nature of Norris’s and Greig’s injuries. Right now Pinto only healthy one.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I don’t think they will be confident enough this summer to deal their depth given nature of Norris’s and Greig’s injuries. Right now Pinto only healthy one.
I agree, it comes down to how good/healthy they look @ pre-season and we may not wait that long.
We couldn't get a 1st for Veggie, Pinto wouldn't be had for less than a 1st, minimum, so therefore it couldn't be close
Their goalie situation is more complex now than it would be for the off-season when Talbot comes off the books. A young starting goalie is worth more than a 3rd line center

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Spoken like someone who's never watched any of the prospects in this draft.
You can watch prospects until you are blue in the face and it still doesn't change the fact you, I, BA or anyone else knows how these kids end up.

they wouldn't make Pinto available for Chychrun why would they do so now?
They didn't have to for Chych.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
You can watch prospects until you are blue in the face and it still doesn't change the fact you, I, BA or anyone else knows how these kids end up.

No one knows with 100% certainty, but scouting undoubtedly works in the macro. What else would explain the greater success rate of 1st rounders over all other rounds?

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I agree, it comes down to how good/healthy they look @ pre-season and we may not wait that long.
Their goalie situation is more complex now than it would be for the off-season when Talbot comes off the books. A young starting goalie is worth more than a 3rd line center

Well, before this season they thought Sogaard was the answer. Then they called him up and he was statistically just as good as he's been this year in the AHL (terrible in other words). So, they need a goalie for next year and quite possibly long term, Veggie would make sense but maybe they could also find someone as a UFA stopgap (maybe Talbot or someone like Freddy Andersen would fit I think, he's a UFA this summer and CAR might not want to pay him given Kochetkov's been pretty good etc).

We'll see what ends up happening, fwiw I don't think getting Pinto is especially likely but like you said they need a goalie and their top 6 is pretty strong already and does not include Pinto OR Greig. You never know

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They have Forsberg signed, he's as good as any Coyote goalie. I'm sure they would love to add a goalie but I highly doubt you are getting a Grade A prospect for any Coyote goalie from Ottawa.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yes, it happens.

Both knees at the same time. 2 MCL injuries at the same time, one on each knee. To a journeyman goaltender who has since been decent after being waived by four separate teams (twice by Carolina)

I wonder... when was the last time something like this happened?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Both knees at the same time. 2 MCL injuries at the same time, one on each knee. To a journeyman goaltender who has since been decent after being waived by four separate teams (twice by Carolina)

I wonder... when was the last time something like this happened?
Very rarely you can find exact injury situations. Maybe turn your TV on and watch Ottawa play another meaningless March game. They are accomplishing nothing tonight.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Very rarely you can find exact injury situations. Maybe turn your TV on and watch Ottawa play another meaningless March game. They are accomplishing nothing tonight.

Seems like that means that the Forsberg situation hasn't happened before. In other words the opposite of what you just said.

And also, weren't you just arguing that OTT was actually playing meaningful games. Like... all day yesterday? You can see your own post history if you go back a page.

If you're being sarcastic OTT is still 5 points back with 8 games to play and multiple teams to jump, as of this morning (ie FLA win notwithstanding), the athletic had their playoff odds at 1%, most of the other betting sites are around the same.

If you weren't being sarcastic, a bit weird to flip so hard in less than 24 hours but in some sense glad you've seen the light. Playoff odds below from the Athletic (all the betting sites are roughly same order of magnitude)

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 6.50.08 PM.png

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seems like that means that the Forsberg situation hasn't happened before. In other words the opposite of what you just said.

And also, weren't you just arguing that OTT was actually playing meaningful games. Like... all day yesterday? You can see your own post history if you go back a page.

If you're being sarcastic OTT is still 5 points back with 8 games to play and multiple teams to jump, as of this morning (ie FLA win notwithstanding), the athletic had their playoff odds at 1%, most of the other betting sites are around the same.

If you weren't being sarcastic, a bit weird to flip so hard in less than 24 hours but in some sense glad you've seen the light
Coming back from knee injury, yes it happens. Can you give me an example of this very situation including age of goalie and so on. Obviously that's a no. But the goalie did not require surgery and is already skating. Your arguments about poster get dumber by the day. If you were at least half as smart as you think you are.......

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Coming back from knee injury, yes it happens. Can you give me an example of this very situation including age of goalie and so on. Obviously that's a no. But the goalie did not require surgery and is already skating. Your arguments about poster get dumber by the day. If you were at least half as smart as you think you are.......

If I were half as smart as I think I am I would still be able to understand the question I asked, which was the same question Schemp asked. In other words when was the last time a journeyman goaltender (or any goaltender really) needed MCL surgery on both his knees at the same time. According to you, "it happens" I am just wondering when it has ever happened.

Doesn't take a genius to understand a basic question. Do you have a basic answer

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If I were half as smart as I think I am I would still be able to understand the question I asked, which was the same question Schemp asked. In other words when was the last time a journeyman goaltender (or any goaltender really) needed MCL surgery on both his knees at the same time. According to you, "it happens" I am just wondering when it ever happened.

Doesn't take a genius to understand a basic question. Do you have a basic answer
That one's easy to answer, as far as I know its never. And it's still never as the goalie in question didn't have surgery.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
That one's easy to answer, as far as I know its never. And it's still never as the goalie in question didn't have surgery.

Actually, that's a good point (for once!). Forsberg didn't go under the knife.

Still, recovery from two MCLs at the same time (ie one in each knee) is also never. That's my main point, probably Schemp's too. Either way thx for pushing back re: surgery I clearly misspoke in my post above

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Actually, that's a good point (for once!!). Forsberg didn't go under the knife.

Still, recovery from two MCLs at the same time (ie one in each knee) doesn't happen either. That's my main point, but thx for pushing back I clearly misspoke in my post above
Can you provide me of an example of a goalie who had the injury and never returned? He is skating now and recovery was expected to be a few months. I don't think it's career ending but that's certainly possible.

"I just think this is rehab, but it's long," Senators coach D.J. Smith said. "It's not a six-month thing, but it's probably more like a two- to three-month thing."

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Can you provide me of an example of a goalie who had the injury and never returned? He is skating now and recovery was expected to be a few months. I don't think it's career ending but that's certainly possible.

"I just think this is rehab, but it's long," Senators coach D.J. Smith said. "It's not a six-month thing, but it's probably more like a two- to three-month thing."

If you're asking this question honestly... causing immediate retirement is not really the point, but Ben Bishop and Carey Price immediately come to mind as elite goalies who literally retired / stopped playing because of knee problems. Just as often, players come back and aren't able to stop the puck which is especially relevant for a guy like Forsberg who's just recently put it together as an NHLer.

Knee injuries for goalies are serious, basically the same level as hip injuries for forwards -- more relevantly the chance of the knee injuries affecting Forsberg's play is significant.

Even if he comes back, if the rehab doesn't lead to 100% recovery (more than likely), then he won't be able to move around from his knees which is very important for goaltenders who are often in the butterfly / rely on knee torque to quickly get in or out of that position as well as move around on the ground. If so, well, probably he won't be able to be counted on to be an NHL starter especially because he might not have gotten to that level even if he were healthy.

Getting MCL injuries in both your knees is extreme, coming back from one MCL injury is bad enough and I can't think of a single example where it's happened in both knees at the same time. Can you?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If you're asking this question honestly... causing immediate retirement is not really the point, but Ben Bishop and Carey Price immediately come to mind as elite goalies who literally retired / stopped playing because of knee problems. Just as often, players come back and aren't able to stop the puck which is especially relevant for a guy like Forsberg who's just recently put it together as an NHLer.

Knee injuries for goalies are serious, basically the same level as hip injuries for forwards -- more relevantly the chance of the knee injuries affecting Forsberg's play is significant.

Even if he comes back, if the rehab doesn't lead to 100% recovery (more than likely), he can't move around from his knees which is very important for goaltenders who are often in the butterfly / rely on knee torque to quickly get in or out of that position as well as move around on the ground. If so, well, probably he won't be able to be counted on to be an NHL starter.

Getting MCL injuries in both your knees is extreme, coming back from one MCL injury is bad enough but I can't think of an example where it's happened in both knees at the same time. Can you?
Again, no because it's rare that both get hurt. But goalies do come back from knee injuries.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Again, no because it's rare that both get hurt. But goalies do come back from knee injuries.

That was my point, and probably Schemp's point too. Coming back from 2 MCL injuries at the same time (one in each knee) is something I've literally never heard of before, one knee surgery recovery is hard enough but now we have two. Good thing Forsberg has the offseason but it's FAR from a guaranteed recovery (even without surgery). Sure he might recover enough to play at a decent NHL level but there's enough risk that OTT would need another goalie.

Oh look there's that conversation again. Maybe Dorion addresses this need in the offseason (for Sens fans I sure hope he does)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That was my point, and probably Schemp's point too. Coming back from 2 MCL injuries at the same time (one in each knee) is something I've literally never heard of before, one knee surgery recovery is hard enough but now we have two. Good thing Forsberg has the offseason but it's FAR from a guaranteed recovery (even without surgery). Sure he might recover enough to play at a decent NHL level but there's enough risk that OTT would need another goalie.

Oh look there's that conversation again. Maybe Dorion addresses this need in the offseason (for Sens fans I sure hope he does)
You might want to check my initial post on this today, I addressed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad