Prospect Info: Aydar Suniev LW, 3rd Round 2023 Draft, Pick #80 overall (U. Mass 23/24)

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
This kid has a lot of skill, played on a juggernaut of a team in the BCJHL, 6'2 205 and can move pretty good. Of course it's BCJHL and hard to compare to Major Junior.

Regular season 50gp 45g 45a 90pts
Playoffs 15gp 9g 14a 23pts

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Where's he actually from? His ihdb says he was born in Penticton lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Who was the guy he said he knew that was a Flames prospect again? Was it Littler, or was it someone else?

I can't help but start to realize a lot of the draft picks have friend or buddies who are Flames prospects. Is this a new tactic/strategy?

Morin/Pelletier (buddies)
Honzek/Lipinski (Team mates)
Hurtig/Stromgren? (Team mates)

Reactions: Mitts

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Who was the guy he said he knew that was a Flames prospect again? Was it Littler, or was it someone else?

I can't help but start to realize a lot of the draft picks have friend or buddies who are Flames prospects. Is this a new tactic/strategy?

Morin/Pelletier (buddies)
Honzek/Lipinski (Team mates)
Hurtig/Stromgren? (Team mates)

Probably just players from the same area happen to be friends and when scouting a particular player you may notice their teammate and want to draft them too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Probably just players from the same area happen to be friends and when scouting a particular player you may notice their teammate and want to draft them too.

Yes, but when looked at previous years drafts vs prospects, I don't think I've seen so many pairs or guys that knew each other. I think the last time was Andersson and Mangiapane? The prospects usually didn't know anyone else and it was mentioned or reflected in the prospect camps. This makes me believe it's somewhat intentional to experiment with a buddy system.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Khrox

May 31, 2018
This makes me believe it's somewhat intentional to experiment with a buddy system.
Honestly, I could see it working as well. At least for the first year or two of training camps. Having that one or two guys you know helps put you at ease, and allows you to just focus on what you're there to do (run the drills, show the management/coaches what you got, learn what to improve on, etc...). That way you aren't as hit by the nerves/jitters of it all your first camp and helps you relax. With the big push the Flames have had about mental wellness and all that, it actually makes sense to do this

Reactions: Fig

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think he might end up as the best player we get from this draft.

That can either be a fantastic or disastrous scenario.

If Suniev turns out to be a Kucherov-esque winger, Honzek a good power forward top 6 center, and Morin a legit 1D, then yes I'd love that. If Suniev happens to only be a meh bottom 6 forward and is our best player from the draft, we have much bigger issues at hand.

Maybe he’s related to Lenin
Lenin's not from Kazan

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I liked this pick, but haven't had any viewings. I don't know to what extent he played with the brothers on the top line there. I've heard reports he did and others that he didn't. Our 2nd rounder was a grandslam and our first rounder will play, but there were better picks available for sure.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I liked this pick, but haven't had any viewings. I don't know to what extent he played with the brothers on the top line there. I've heard reports he did and others that he didn't. Our 2nd rounder was a grandslam and our first rounder will play, but there were better picks available for sure.
He played with them on the PP I believe, but was on the second line instead of the first at ES. So yes he played with them, but not regularly.

Reactions: Double Dion

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Based on this pick and Morin, the Flames have basically went after guys who only real issue their skating, everything else they possess is very good or even elite (Morin seems to be an absolute stud, only problem is his skating).

Flames have a good skating coach so I actually really like this strategy. Of all the things to teach/improve, skating is probably the easiest.

We'll see how Suniev does away from the Nadeau brothers this upcoming season.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Based on this pick and Morin, the Flames have basically went after guys who only real issue their skating, everything else they possess is very good or even elite (Morin seems to be an absolute stud, only problem is his skating).

Flames have a good skating coach so I actually really like this strategy. Of all the things to teach/improve, skating is probably the easiest.

I also think with MEP, Phillips, Lomberg, Zavorigny and some of those guys, we're also moving away from having too many smaller guys on the farm as well. It's OK to have a few, but we have had too many in the last few seasons.

If it's a crapshoot anyways, picking up players in the 5th-7th round for your buddy system still benefits your overall development a heck of a lot more than prospects that don't develop anyways, but also don't know anyone in your prospect pool. Picking up players of a similar style is a good idea as well. I think it also helps save on scouting and improve the quality of your scouting and recommendations development wise. (As in you can scout your players more and be able to provide more feed back).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel bad for the guy, has to tell all the ladies he's a Minuteman.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Disagree, it's like saying the only guys we pick are without, God given ability, to play in the NHL. No easier to repair skating than it is to improve anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad