Awful plays (mostly defensive errors) that are forgotten because a goal/goalie bailed them out

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What are some of the worst plays in history that no one remembers because it didn't result in a goal? For example, imagine Steve Smith's own goal in 1986 is wiped out because the Oilers tie it, and then get another one in regulation. We'd never remember it. This is mostly about bad defensive plays, or bad goals allowed by a goalie, or even bad calls that went the wrong way. But in the end none of them mattered because it didn't change the outcome of the game. Here are mine.

Doug Wilson prior to the Coffey play where he broke up a two-on-one. It was a horrible play by him, that is why Coffey was left alone. I have no idea what he was doing on that play either. He made no effort to get the puck, he just rubbed out a Soviet player and that was about it despite being one of the only guys back. It was also one of the most untimely and worst pinches I have ever seen. Bossy and Tonelli had no chance to get back to help break up the 2-on-1.

Scott Niedermayer. Man, he made me nervous the entire 2010 Olympics. He makes a play that would be right up there in the minds of Canadians the way Russell Wilson's interception at the end of the Super Bowl is. Who is he trying to pass to? Weber I guess, but man, that was high risk when it didn't need to be. Thank God for Luongo and then Crosby and Iggy later. I don't know if I would ever get over Kesler scoring there. Start at 2:15:00

Game 5, Isles vs. Rangers in 1984. You all know the game. Possibly the best NHL game ever played. The Isles drive for 5 on the line here. Maloney scored the tying goal with 39 seconds left and let's face it, that was a very noticeable high stick. Even with replay angles that we only had in 1984, you can tell. Billy Smith right away complains to the ref that it was a high stick. However there is no video replay. Dick Irvin thinks it was a high stick. Then that crazy overtime where the Rangers nearly won it more than once until Ken Morrow saves their bacon. Thank goodness the Rangers didn't win and end the drive for 5 that way. Start at 43:00

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bruins/Habs game 5 2011...series tied 2-2, game is in the 2nd OT

Boychuk gets caught up ice, and Ference plays the 2 on 1 about as brutally as possible. Goes to the guy with the puck, way too early, and at an awful angle making it a 2 on 0.

Thomas bails them out with a god level save.

To make the save even better, the Bruins score 3 minutes later to take the 3-2 series lead

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bruins/Habs game 5 2011...series tied 2-2, game is in the 2nd OT

Boychuk gets caught up ice, and Ference plays the 2 on 1 about as brutally as possible. Goes to the guy with the puck, way too early, and at an awful angle making it a 2 on 0.

Thomas bails them out with a god level save.

To make the save even better, the Bruins score 3 minutes later to take the 3-2 series lead

When I think of Thomas' run in 2011 I always think of that save.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
When I think of Thomas' run in 2011 I always think of that save.

That save alone is a huge what-if with the 2011 Bruins.

If the Habs score there and it's 3-2 the other way going to a game 6 in Montreal......... basically we're rewriting the entire 2011 Eastern Conference playoffs.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That save alone is a huge what-if with the 2011 Bruins.

If the Habs score there and it's 3-2 the other way going to a game 6 in Montreal......... basically we're rewriting the entire 2011 Eastern Conference playoffs.

Yeah, then it would've been Washington vs Montreal a year after the major upset. And then Philadelphia would've played Tampa in round 2. Tampa vs Montreal let's say would've been an interesting conference final and a prequel to their later matches in 2014 and 2015

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Scott Niedermayer. Man, he made me nervous the entire 2010 Olympics. He makes a play that would be right up there in the minds of Canadians the way Russell Wilson's interception at the end of the Super Bowl is. Who is he trying to pass to? Weber I guess, but man, that was high risk when it didn't need to be. Thank God for Luongo and then Crosby and Iggy later. I don't know if I would ever get over Kesler scoring there. Start at 2:15:00

It was Pavelski

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Doughty and Keith leaving Demitra wide open

I remember that game as a pure nail biter. It wasn't for most of the game though. Canada had full control up 3-0 and then let the game get within reach. I've always focused on Luongo's save rather than why Demitra was left open. I can kind of understand why, they had the extra attacker on there and were dealing with the front of the net. Someone is going to be left open I guess but that was worse than it should have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad