GDT: Avs vs Tampa | 7 PM MT | Are we there yet?

Well? Are we?

• Not yet.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I'll let you know.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Stop asking "are we there yet".

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • That's it! Back to Winnipeg!

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Avs consistently get more calls than any other team in the league. This whole weird conspiracy that the refs hate the Avs is so completely out of touch with reality. The Avs' net penalties is something like 50% higher than anybody else in the league over the last 3+ seasons.
I'm well aware. We draw a lot of penalties. That doesn't mean other teams don't get away with a lot of shit against us.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Avs consistently get more calls than any other team in the league. This whole weird conspiracy that the refs hate the Avs is so completely out of touch with reality. The Avs' net penalties is something like 50% higher than anybody else in the league over the last 3+ seasons.

No just Tim Peel

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t think he’s played particularly well overall, but in RYJO’s defence, he doesn’t have a lot to work with.

Bednar has basically given up on him and barely gives him ice time and plays him with the weaker wingers.

As opposed to Compher last year, who spent most of the season with Rantanen on his wing and received tons of minutes.

If Johansen can dig himself out of this hole, like he did last game, it’ll be by himself, and that deserves some credit, if he can pull it off.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm not talking dizzee specifically. Most boards I venture to after an Avs game there's complaints about us diving. I just wondered if anyone thought where there was smoke there was fire, or if it's just loser fans being loser fans.

I don't care what they think, but I am curious why they think it.
There are fans that just don't want to accept that Makar is really good, so they have to try to accuse him of something. The other night, when that crybaby evason went off because he thought Makar dove - the mild easily had TWO of their players take massive dives - and one was Capri-Sun. So they can all go f*** themselves. He deserved to get fired - he was a shithead.

I don't see it with Frail Cale but I feel like I've seen Rants diving before on several occasions. Could be just the fact he's bambii on skates though. MacK just bitches and whines a lot but I feel like he doesn't dive.
Rantanen certainly embellishes and does dive every now and then but at the same time, he falls down more than any Avalanche. I think he has random vertigo or something.

Every game i see something from the Avs that looks like a possible dive, the other team is doing the same shit anyway. That's hockey.
Every team has guys that will go down easily when they feel like they can draw a call. Rantanen is certainly like that for us. I don't think Mackinnon or Makar do it, they absolutely get taken down.

I don't think there's a conspiracy against the Avs at all but I do think there is really f***ing shitty officiating. The other night against Calgary, it was weird because they got a few of the trickier calls correct (like when the lames had 2 guys go after Miles Wood in the scrum - the correct call was made) but they missed a ton of hooks and trips the entire night.

The game against TB last night, you have erik cernak swinging his stick like he's frikkin' Paul Bunyan with the ref looking right at him and the idiot just lets him go - no problems there.

Can't give him a penalty because he doesn't want to get yelled at by jon cooper. It's a joke.

The best officiating is when you don't even notice they are out there... on most nights, that's not what happens.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
In addition to the speed and team style, the altitude is also likely a factor in teams being a step slow and more hooking, grabbing, ...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are fans that just don't want to accept that Makar is really good, so they have to try to accuse him of something. The other night, when that crybaby evason went off because he thought Makar dove - the mild easily had TWO of their players take massive dives - and one was Capri-Sun. So they can all go f*** themselves. He deserved to get fired - he was a shithead.

Rantanen certainly embellishes and does dive every now and then but at the same time, he falls down more than any Avalanche. I think he has random vertigo or something.

Every team has guys that will go down easily when they feel like they can draw a call. Rantanen is certainly like that for us. I don't think Mackinnon or Makar do it, they absolutely get taken down.

I don't think there's a conspiracy against the Avs at all but I do think there is really f***ing shitty officiating. The other night against Calgary, it was weird because they got a few of the trickier calls correct (like when the lames had 2 guys go after Miles Wood in the scrum - the correct call was made) but they missed a ton of hooks and trips the entire night.

The game against TB last night, you have erik cernak swinging his stick like he's frikkin' Paul Bunyan with the ref looking right at him and the idiot just lets him go - no problems there.

Can't give him a penalty because he doesn't want to get yelled at by jon cooper. It's a joke.

The best officiating is when you don't even notice they are out there... on most nights, that's not what happens.
Does anyone ever have a positive opinion of refs?:laugh:

I’m simply saying this idea the ref shaft the Avs and the Avs have earned even more penalties is misguided. They earn more than their fair share and get away with far more than is missed.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO the Avs don't dive more than any other team but I would admit that they do try to sell the calls quite a bit though.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I watch almost every game and the last 5-10 I've seen a lot of obvious missed calls against the Avs. I am sure I have some bias, but nothing like Moser The Incredulous -- and it's not JUST the Avs but there have been some really egregious ones where the officials are nearby/watching the play where the puck is. Doesn't seem like a coincidence, but since there's zero accountability for the officials it doesn't make much difference. I expect a handful of missed calls but I also feel like the NHL has the sassiest officials so things get weird sometimes.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Officiating is way, way too inconsistent for there to be any chance of an actual conspiracy for or against lol. On a game by game basis though, it can absolutely seem that way to whoever is on the wrong end of it.
After reading about Donaghy's gambling scandal, I think it's less about consistency and more about bias. It's pretty telling that an insider who really knows the sport but also knows all the relationships between refs and players could predict the outcome of a game with 80% accuracy.

I can only imagine a ref's bias to certain teams/players is even larger in the NHL than it is in the NBA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Idk… I feel like watching other sports shows how well hockey is officiated. The NBA is a travesty and MLB and NFL are not far behind…

Not saying NHL is perfect… but other leagues are just so much worse. As an example… how do the Chiefs never get a false start?

Reactions: BrickNHL

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Idk… I feel like watching other sports shows how well hockey is officiated. The NBA is a travesty and MLB and NFL are not far behind…

Not saying NHL is perfect… but other leagues are just so much worse. As an example… how do the Chiefs never get a false start?
Soccer is incompetent at best... rigged at most likely.

Reactions: henchman21

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
With regards to officiating in the NHL, this is the worst it's been since I've been watching, which granted is really only the early 90s onward. The game management and swings in momentum caused solely by officials actually have a real impact on the final score and results.

With how heavy-handed the NHL is with gambling, their officiating seriously runs the risk of leading to rampant speculation. It's Gary's league, he's free to do with it as he will but I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that any NHL is well officiated. There are an extreme number of penalties that go uncalled all game long only to get called all of a sudden later in the game. Those are free opportunities to shift momentum handed out solely at the discretion of the refs with no rhyme or reason behind it.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com

NHL is all over the place and game to game you don't know what to expect. I saw a cross-check that broke a stick on a player's back not get called last night. "I could not believe it." When is that not a penalty? If you break a stick with a stick you get a slash. I definitely think that the NHL officials are VERY good at what they do, it's just when they choose to be that good that infuriates most people. There's something going on with those guys and sometimes it seems like ego, especially during faceoffs.

The other sports are replay-heavy to great detriment. MLB is generally fine except for balls and strikes, which is a total mess and maybe a fair parallel to draw between MLB and the NHL. I can hardly watch the NBA because they will review almost anything and the players are very adept at getting calls where slight contact is made while other violent plays under the basket are seemingly 50/50. I'm about to the point with sports where I'd rather see a bad call than 5 minutes of excitement-killing bs. Maybe save it for the playoffs when it's much bigger stakes? I don't know that there's a solution at this point, but it's a buzzkill for me.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Blame the unions.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

The Chiefs never get called for offensive holding. Except when they played Brady and Tampa Bay in the SB, then they got called 8 or 9 times and their offense went nowhere. The fix was in.

NHL refs certainly suck, they manage the game, and most egregiously they lose control of games by letting the losing/shitty team get away with thuggery, which then begets serious thuggery, injury, and other BS.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With regards to officiating in the NHL, this is the worst it's been since I've been watching, which granted is really only the early 90s onward. The game management and swings in momentum caused solely by officials actually have a real impact on the final score and results.

With how heavy-handed the NHL is with gambling, their officiating seriously runs the risk of leading to rampant speculation. It's Gary's league, he's free to do with it as he will but I'm not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that any NHL is well officiated. There are an extreme number of penalties that go uncalled all game long only to get called all of a sudden later in the game. Those are free opportunities to shift momentum handed out solely at the discretion of the refs with no rhyme or reason behind it.

Seeing long time refs retire over the years it was obvious this new generation was going to be dog shit.

The inconsistency is off the charts.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seeing long time refs retire over the years it was obvious this new generation was going to be dog shit.

The inconsistency is off the charts.
I dunno, I didn't mind Koharski or Van Massenhoven, but McGeough was holy shit terrible.

MLB has the worst officiating and it's not even close, largely because they've continued to employ the single worst official in sports history for decades now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Well said.
I think it especially hurts well skating teams like Avalanche. We earn the penalties but opponents get them to even things out. It's so ****** ridiculous. You play well to deserve a powerplay..

Days between games are good for basking in the glow of a nice win.
Hey, but at least tomorrow or at some point we will have 16 games at the day! Wohooo! How much fun!! Not.

I have to say, it's completely wacko. Having six games at the same time is pointless. No one can follow the action, heck sometimes I try but it's too much.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad