Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Miles Of Wood to 6-year deal × $2.5M AAV

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So far I’m not impressed. Speed and size to spare and it feels like he’s always chasing the play.

Early yet, new system and team and all. There’s time yet.

So far the only new acquisition I really like out the gate is Olofsson.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So far I’m not impressed. Speed and size to spare and it feels like he’s always chasing the play.

Early yet, new system and team and all. There’s time yet.

So far the only new acquisition I really like out the gate is Olofsson.

Wood is the relevant acquisition (ie: not Olofsson) that played up to the expectations IMO.

RyJo, Drouin, Colton and Tatar are all shit.

Wood isn't good but the expectations were very low.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wood’s game is pretty much what you see is what you get and I agree has been as advertised. Some semblance of production would be nice but it’s too early to say yet if he’s a 15, 25 or 35 point guy on this team, which will make a difference in the final evaluation of him.

Exactly, and bottom six guys production is always inconsistent and streaky. What I want is what Bednar wants, consistency and hard nosed hockey.

More is expected of 4x4 than that though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wood’s game is pretty much what you see is what you get and I agree has been as advertised. Some semblance of production would be nice but it’s too early to say yet if he’s a 15, 25 or 35 point guy on this team, which will make a difference in the final evaluation of him.

I think we can very safely rule out him being a 35 point guy.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
25 might even be pushing it.
Say he gets on a heater and puts up 10 in 17 games... he then only needs to average .22 per game the rest of the season. That's probably not unreasonable. That doesn't mean he's an effective 25 points, but more that is a very achievable goal with just getting hot once. That's basically what LOC does every year to hit 25.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Say he gets on a heater and puts up 10 in 17 games... he then only needs to average .22 per game the rest of the season. That's probably not unreasonable. That doesn't mean he's an effective 25 points, but more that is a very achievable goal with just getting hot once. That's basically what LOC does every year to hit 25.

Now that you're back, what do you think of Colton? He's shown very little playmaking ability. I like his shot, the speed, and the defensive ability especially on the PK, but for 4M he needs to create more.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Now that you're back, what do you think of Colton? He's shown very little playmaking ability. I like his shot, the speed, and the defensive ability especially on the PK, but for 4M he needs to create more.
He’s played like ass. He can play better than this and for 4m he better. Not thrilled with his play in the middle, but he’s gotta get a run there with the lack of options.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He’s played like ass. He can play better than this and for 4m he better. Not thrilled with his play in the middle, but he’s gotta get a run there with the lack of options.

I wish I'd seen him more prior to now, hopefully they're working on it. Part if me thinks Bednar is perfectly happy with him though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wish I'd seen him more prior to now, hopefully they're working on it. Part if me thinks Bednar is perfectly happy with him though.
I think Bednar is far from happy, but he really doesn't have alternatives right now. There are basically 6 guys who can play center on the team (not counting Pavel)... MacK, Rants, RyJo, Colton, Olofsson, and Drouin. Rants clearly doesn't prefer center. Olofsson isn't a 2/3C/ RyJo needs to the be the 2C. Which leaves Colton and Drouin... and that choice is clear. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think Bednar is far from happy, but he really doesn't have alternatives right now. There are basically 6 guys who can play center on the team (not counting Pavel)... MacK, Rants, RyJo, Colton, Olofsson, and Drouin. Rants clearly doesn't prefer center. Olofsson isn't a 2/3C/ RyJo needs to the be the 2C. Which leaves Colton and Drouin... and that choice is clear. :laugh:

You know what, call me crazy, but I'd try Drouin at C with those two lol. Gets him off the wall.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
You know what, call me crazy, but I'd try Drouin at C with those two lol. Gets him off the wall.
I’d like to see them play in a more hybrid idea with that. Colton stays the C in the D Zone and neutral zone out of possession. Have Drouin and Colton swap on the breakout and in the O zone. Worst case, it fails, you bleed goals (like we have anyways lately) and you put the idea to bed

Drouin is not a centre defensively but can play like one offensively. Colton is a pretty good defensive C but has shown little play driving ability as a C offensively

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs system is way too hard on smaller centers and it takes special IQ players to go that hybrid/Landy route. Drouin at center would last one rush against and Bednar would go full Roy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Drouin isn't a center that plays wing. He's a winger that was forced at center once.
Coming up prior to Halifax, Drouin was always a center. He went back in his +1 draft year to specifically play center. His issues in Tampa and sticking were because they really preferred him to play center and wanting to play there. Montreal traded for him to play center. Through his whole career people have tried to force Drouin to center, it just has never worked.

He is clearly a wing though and should never have been forced to the middle. I'd argue that is part of the reason his career has turned out like it has.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Coming up prior to Halifax, Drouin was always a center. He went back in his +1 draft year to specifically play center. His issues in Tampa and sticking were because they really preferred him to play center and wanting to play there. Montreal traded for him to play center. Through his whole career people have tried to force Drouin to center, it just has never worked.

He is clearly a wing though and should never have been forced to the middle. I'd argue that is part of the reason his career has turned out like it has.

I don't remember him playing center in Tampa a ton but that's a long time ago, as he was supposed to be the MSL replacement if he panned out.

I thought most of the center attempts were Montreal.

I remember thinking Tampa was stupid for not taking Jones though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't remember him playing center in Tampa a ton but that's a long time ago, as he was supposed to be the MSL replacement if he panned out.

I thought most of the center attempts were Montreal.

I remember thinking Tampa was stupid for not taking Jones though.
They returned him specifically in 13-14 to play center in Halifax. They basically demanded it of the team so he wouldn't stay in the NHL. 14-15 was the transition year for him at wing as a rookie (Tampa almost always breaks in their centers with a year on the wing). When the playoffs rolled around, ironically, they caused a stir when they played Marchy over Drouin because he was more effective (this started a chain of events off the ice). They wanted to work him to work on things to play center that summer. Worked with him at that camp at center, but it clearly wasn't there. So they put him back at wing to start as the friction between parties was already there. Upon the demotion to Syracuse, he was told to play center and Zettler was told to keep him there. This lead to the walkout and trade request. Upon his return, one of the softening of demands from Tampa was to let him play wing. Were Drouin played and played pretty well for Syracuse upon his return. He then had his fantastic playoffs that season upon his return to Tampa.

16-17 he was penciled in, again, to play center and they flirted with it in camp... but it was clear it wasn't going to work. They pushed him to wing for the majority of this season, even when Stammer got hurt. This is when Point emerged and Gourde was playing so well in the AHL that he was going to be given a chance. With the opportunity to sell high, they took it and Montreal started the center drama all over again.

I honestly feel a bit for Drouin in this. He knew center wasn't his spot, teams kept trying to force it and it certainly had a large impact on his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad