Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jonathan Drouin (1 year, 825k)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Mikko played such hardball, that he signed for almost 2mil less than his closest comparable. After said comparable signed that deal BTW.

Also, if you are saying we could sign 3-4 "Drouins" for one Mikko, are you talking about the current version of Drouin? A not horrible defensively, PPG top-6 winger? For about 4mil or less? Please, tell me about some of these players. I'm willing to listen.
Nah, i'm good. I'm not the biggest Mikko fan and i'm truly afraid of his next contract cause i'm a true believer that keeping him at any cost because he's "core", will bite us in the ass.

Mikko will likely "ask" for 12+. For 12+ we can probably keep Walker, Drouin, Trenin AND Duhaim. We lose one high end talent but gain soooo much depth.

Again, that's just something to think about when the time comes ...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Nah, i'm good. I'm not the biggest Mikko fan and i'm truly afraid of his next contract cause i'm a true believer that keeping him at any cost because he's "core", will bite us in the ass.

Mikko will likely "ask" for 12+. For 12+ we can probably keep Walker, Drouin, Trenin AND Duhaim. We lose one high end talent but gain soooo much depth.

Again, that's just something to think about when the time comes ...
It's not a discussion worth having before the playoffs are over. If we go on a deep run and Mikko plays like a Conn Smythe candidate, you obviously want to retain him (at a reasonable cost). If he's disappointing, then it's a conversation worth having to trade him.

Basically, that decision right there dictates everything else.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's not a discussion worth having before the playoffs are over. If we go on a deep run and Mikko plays like a Conn Smythe candidate, you obviously want to retain him (at a reasonable cost). If he's disappointing, then it's a conversation worth having to trade him.

Basically, that decision right there dictates everything else.
It's not a discussion worth having for you before the playoffs are over.

Not everyone in life is going to have the same timeline as you. The knee-jerk reaction to people discussing things on a forum is getting old.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

Not everyone in life is going to have the same timeline as you. The knee-jerk reaction to people discussing things on a forum is getting old.
But he's not wrong. Mikko will end up with 100+ points AGAIN despite playing like ass at least half of the time. If he has a strong Playoff performace all his critics (and i'm one of them) will shut up immediatly. Mikko usually ups his game when it matters, and if he does it again - and we need him to do it again - it's tough to argue against him.

We'll see, i guess.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

True, it would be a pretty boring discussion forum if we weren't having debates lol.

I just feel like we can go from "Trade Rantanen, sign everyone else and go for it again" to "Pay that man whatever he wants, trade whoever is necessary to keep him" and we are not going to find out until the playoffs are over. And this same discussion goes for a lot of our players, but it centers around Mikko because he has the biggest impact on cap. You might say that sounds crazy and not rational, we should have a plan in place. But this is sports. Rantanen goes on a Conn Smythe run like no other, or has 4 points in 7 games in a 1st round exit, don't you think that somewhat changes the discussion around him and his looming extension/UFA status?

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
True, it would be a pretty boring discussion forum if we weren't having debates lol.

I just feel like we can go from "Trade Rantanen, sign everyone else and go for it again" to "Pay that man whatever he wants, trade whoever is necessary to keep him" and we are not going to find out until the playoffs are over. And this same discussion goes for a lot of our players, but it centers around Mikko because he has the biggest impact on cap. You might say that sounds crazy and not rational, we should have a plan in place. But this is sports. Rantanen goes on a Conn Smythe run like no other, or has 4 points in 7 games in a 1st round exit, don't you think that somewhat changes the discussion around him and his looming extension/UFA status?
There’s so many variables at play. Makar would end up on LTIR, Landy could have a failed comeback and LTIRetire, Mikko could have a 30+ point Conn Smythe run, any number of players could end picking up knocks in the playoffs that require LTIR. So many things could happen

I don’t think now is the time to fall in love with one idea to fix the cap. Discussing possibilities is still entertaining even if it’s too early to latch onto any in particular (beyond that we really cannot keep everyone)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There’s so many variables at play. Makar would end up on LTIR, Landy could have a failed comeback and LTIRetire, Mikko could have a 30+ point Conn Smythe run, any number of players could end picking up knocks in the playoffs that require LTIR. So many things could happen

I don’t think now is the time to fall in love with one idea to fix the cap. Discussing possibilities is still entertaining even if it’s too early to latch onto any in particular (beyond that we really cannot keep everyone)
Yup, definitely this. So much context is missing in a trade/keep Mikko scenario. CMac wouldn’t be doing his job if he wasn’t listening to Rantanen offers(assuming he’s getting them). Doesn’t mean they need to be entertained, but in our upcoming cap scenario all options outside of moving Mack and Makar should be looked at.

And like you said, maybe Landys comeback fails and Makar needs hip surgery, having Mikko around would be even more important then. Chances are the teams worse off without Mikko but there’s so much time and things to happen before moving Mikko even becomes a potential possibility.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

I think this is precisely correct, and may serve to prove JH21 correct or incorrect. Even if Landy does not make it back, if the Avs don't suffer any catastrophic injuries, or coke-fueled hooker binges, I think it is safe to say that CMac has built a deep team this year. Much deeper than last year, even without Landy and LOC being here. Therein lies the conundrum. Sure, Mikko will be a perennial 100 point machine. That said, the production of a bottom-6 consisting of only minimum or sub minimum guys are going to add very little to that 100, whereas resigning Mitts, Drouin, Trenin, Duhaime while keeping Lehky, Colton and Wood could easily constitute 100+ points more than those positions generated last year - when the Avs did not have the depth.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Drouin would look great setting up bedard. If he doesn’t want to sign here on the cheap I hope he gets a boatload from Chicago

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Is it possible that Walsh’s twitter activity is providing some indication as to where things are going?

Has Walsh backed off of hyping Drouin like he was early in the season? If he has backed off, there might be different ways to interpret that. It could mean playing in the top 6 makes it less necessary. It could mean Drouin has told him to tone it down. Or, it could mean Drouin has indicated to Walsh that he intends to take less to stay in Colorado.

But I don't follow Walsh on twitter, so I have no idea if hes toned it down or more or less the same.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Just offer him max contract with smaller dollar per season. He would have to be bought our most likely but it's the future Sakics problem.

He is not getting anywhere close to eight year contract from anyone else. Max 3-4 years I think.

That should lower the cap amount quite a bit.

Trade Wood or make other moves, if needed to keep Drouin imo.

Reactions: xAvsx89

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think someone like Girard needs to go to resign Drouin and I’ll be fine with it as long as we find a cheaper but a solid left handed 2nd pair D otherwise without Girard, I’m not sure what you do to the left side. We don’t have a left handed D prospect ready to make the jump to NHL

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
He is playing himself out of Colorado. Big shame.
Agreed. I kinda always wanted him to play with MacK, thinking he could turn things around. I remember back in Rantanen´s first season there were speculations about swapping them and i was not completey opposed to that idea. Later i was glad it did not happen obviously, as Mikko turned out to be superior player.

Anyway when Drouin came in finally this season, i was intrigued, but did not expect too much. So its really great it fired so well, but at the same time, yeah, its shame, that his reunion with MacK will have such a short life.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe Ritchie is ready for the NHL next year, then trade Colton and resign Drouin, Ritchie takes the 3C spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad