Recalled/Assigned: Avs Recall Anton Lindholm

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He looked quite solid live. He seemed very active in all the right ways. I like that he always takes the simplest option for moving the puck. I think a lot of players on this team have an overinflated opinion of how good they are, and try the hardest, lowest-percentage play more often than not. Lindholm may not be the most skilled guy, but he knows his limits, and a lot of our D could afford to learn that lesson when it comes to making passes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I liked what I saw from Lindholm tonight. Nothing flashy, but very solid. I liked his instincts defensively a lot. Didn't hesitate, didn't seem overwhelmed, and didn't over think plays like most of the Avs D.

One thing that surprised me a bit was his willingness to battle. Didn't expect that. Engaged a lot physically in front of the net and in the corners. A lot of fight in him for not being the biggest guy.

Skated and moved the puck fairly well too. Very nice first game. Hopefully he can build on that and keep going.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Watched the game and from what I saw he seemed to be pretty solid down low in the defensive zone. He seems to be much more reliable than Beauchemin and Weirdo and even Barrie when it comes to our own end. He could end up being a solid 3rd pairing defenseman for the Avs. I don't think he'd put up many points but he'd be solid down low.

Haven't got to see much of his passing yet because he didn't seem to get too much ice time against Detroit.

Anyhoo, with Zads, Bigras, Meloche and Lindholm, I'm starting to like our defensive depth a little more. Just need to find that #1 defenseman either in a draft this year/next year or via a Duchene trade.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
His game seemed exactly what it was in the AHL games I've watched and I like that. Most players tend to play a little more safe when they get their opportunity. Lindholm isn't exactly a risky player in a way that he pinches into the play too often. Where he does risk is when he pinches to prevent a player from entering the blue line or stepping up at the offensive blue line to prevent a puck from getting out of the zone. Maybe rather than using the word "risk" i'll use the word aggressive. He's very aggressive on those plays and that's something very welcomed on this Avs team that seems to be very easy to play against.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
He played exactly how I watched him in Rockford. I really liked what I saw from him. He always knew where his guy was defensively, was constantly playing the body, and made great outlet passes to open guys and guys coming through with speed. He did have a couple passes that were ballsy and not great. But I'd give him a solid B+ / A- for his first NHL game. I believe he has the future of a solid 3rd pairing Dman that does everything well but isn't flashy. Don't panic everyone, but we might have something going with a late round pick.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He played exactly how I watched him in Rockford. I really liked what I saw from him. He always knew where his guy was defensively, was constantly playing the body, and made great outlet passes to open guys and guys coming through with speed. He did have a couple passes that were ballsy and not great. But I'd give him a solid B+ / A- for his first NHL game. I believe he has the future of a solid 3rd pairing Dman that does everything well but isn't flashy. Don't panic everyone, but we might have something going with a late round pick.

I'm not ready to get super stoked because he had a decent first game, but it was nice to see a dman we drafted that didn't completely suck and actually look like they knew how to play hockey.

The other thing that Sakic/management will never get credit for is actually developing a prospect. We are talking about a 5th round pick that is now 22 years old. They didn't draft him and expect him to play as a 18/19 year old. They let him play in Sweden, then brought him over when they thought he was ready, then put him the AHL to get used to NA rinks, then gave him the chance late in the year to get some NHL games. That's how you have to develop draft picks. It sucks waiting but unless they are MacK, Rantanen, Jost level prospects you need to give them time. We also got a few other late rounders (4th or later) that are showing promise guys like Nantel, Butcher, Mironov, Boikov. Maybe it's a little too early to tell but guys like Clurman and Barron from all accounts are doing well.

But of course you'll never see anyone in here give Sakic and Co. any credit for doing anything right.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree it is good they are giving players time to develop and I believe that is the right way to go about it... but I'd say it is a WAY too early to pile on praise.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's easy to get carried away just because players work hard and are moderately competent. Says more about the sad bunch we've been seeing than the new guys.

Still, take satisfaction where you can get it because it's not plentiful this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I agree it is good they are giving players time to develop and I believe that is the right way to go about it... but I'd say it is a WAY too early to pile on praise.

Yeah. Let's see who sticks as actual NHL players and if the AHL team can ever elevate above trash fire before we can decide development is working. I'd say EV has gotten more out of first year guys than Dean ever did tho.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It was a slow burn but he looked pretty good in the time he was given. I'm not sure what to fully make of him as the sample size is so small but him being up does give me more hope for the future of the Avs defense.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The thread died 3-16. How did he play after that until now? Will he have a regular spot on next years team?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The thread died 3-16. How did he play after that until now? Will he have a regular spot on next years team?

Should be a call-up if things fall the way they should.

1. EJohnson
2. Zadorov
3. The D we got in return for trading Duchene
4. Barrie (or the guy they traded Barrie for)
5. Barberio
6. Mironov (will probably be signed)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I really liked his game for us this year. I hope we get to see him again this season but if not, I think he'll be one of 4 or 5 guys in a pretty big fight for the last couple spots on the roster next season.

The thing I like most about him is the simplicity he plays the game with. Doesn't try and do to much with the puck, always just quick and easy passes out of the zone. He's also quite responsible in his own zone and for his size has a pretty good physical edge in the corners over a lot of guys.

I suspect camp next season will be a big competition between Mironov, Bigras, Barbiero(If he's still here), Lindholm, and possibly Siemens for those final couple of spots.

Zads, EJ, Barrie, and Duchene return should be locked into the Top 4 spots leaving the last two up for grabs. We also probably sign another older #7/6 type of Dman as well for that battle and to be the #7 Dman most of the time as well. Ultimately I think Mironov gets one spot because it's probably a contractual agreement that he plays in the NHL next year as incentive for him to come over(Although I think he'll earn the spot regardless) and the other spot goes to Barbiero. But Lindholm should be pretty high on the call up list and I would bet by seasons end he gets 30-40 games next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad