Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Loved Bo, was one of my favourites and sad to see him go but that’s pretty disappointing. For better or worse the thank you on socials has become standard practice. Sucks to see him not follow through on what’s a pretty low bar at this point
I agree. Thank the fans at least. Be nice.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Byram has admitted in the past to strongly disliking social media. One look at his Instagram shows how infrequently he posts.

Expecting a guy who is fairly anti-social media to post some thank you farewell to fans might not be wise.
I like him again, can we takebacksies

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I agree but also, by any other team improving relative to the Avs, we also lose.

Ditto for buffalo.

So technically win-win, but also lose-lose?!?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: missionAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Doesn't bother me at all that he didn't give a thank you message. There shouldn't be an expectation for everyone to say thank you after being rejected anyway.

It's like expecting everyone to wish you happy birthday, including the ones you didn't invite to the party. Or ex partners thanking you after they leave you for someone else.

Judging by how he's looked and sounded in Buffalo too, he doesn't look his normal happy self to me. I'm not sure I've seen him smile once and he was always smiling in Colorado and in junior.

I know the narrative is that he wanted this, but I don't think he did. He looks bummed to me.

I think he's a gamer and he wants to win no matter what the role. That's why he cried when he won silver instead of gold at the WJC, despite dominating the game.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Doesn't bother me at all that he didn't give a thank you message. There shouldn't be an expectation for everyone to say thank you after being rejected anyway.

It's like expecting everyone to wish you happy birthday, including the ones you didn't invite to the party. Or ex partners thanking you after they leave you for someone else.

Judging by how he's looked and sounded in Buffalo too, he doesn't look his normal happy self to me. I'm not sure I've seen him smile once and he was always smiling in Colorado and in junior.

I know the narrative is that he wanted this, but I don't think he did. He looks bummed to me.

I think he's a gamer and he wants to win no matter what the role. That's why he cried when he won silver instead of gold at the WJC, despite dominating the game.
It’s not hard to release a statement thanking the fans and teammates. He didn’t need to thank management for sending him to a perennial dweller.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s not hard to release a statement thanking the fans and teammates. He didn’t need to thank management for sending him to a perennial dweller.

It's just an uneccesary thing IMO and a lot of fans were pretty harsh toward him anyway, saying lots of baseless things about him. More so than Girard and G had to leave the team because of it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I think this is exactly what he wanted. He sounded thrilled to be joining Dylan Cozens, and Cozens mentioning them talking about potentially being teammates during their vacation together.

I think what's happened is it hit him square in the face that in Colorado he was on a team contending for Stanley Cups, and in Buffalo he's on a team contending for laughing stock of the league status. That initial excitement has quite clearly worn off.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think this is exactly what he wanted. He sounded thrilled to be joining Dylan Cozens, and Cozens mentioning them talking about potentially being teammates during their vacation together.

I think what's happened is it hit him square in the face that in Colorado he was on a team contending for Stanley Cups, and in Buffalo he's on a team contending for laughing stock of the league status. That initial excitement has quite clearly worn off.

Being happy the team you were traded to has some close friends on it, and telling Buffalo fans you're excited to play for them, doesn't necessarily mean you wanted to be traded off a team that's a Cup favorite.

Neither does talking with your friend about the possibility of playing together one day. I'd bet Nate had those same type of conversations with Sid early in his career. Sakic probably talked with friends back in Vancouver about playing for the Nucks early in his career too.

And I just disagree strongly both with the idea he had to play a top pair role, and that he never would have had one in Colorado. Very possible Toews could have taken a step back and allowed Bo to play with Cale more often, and Toews to play a lesser role as he gets into his 30's..

He's not a guarantee to play a bigger role in Buffalo either. In fact, given Dahlin's struggles, I think they may toy with the idea of moving Dahlin back to the left side, and pairing him with a righty like Jokiharju, and playing Bo on the second pair. So it might not be that different than in Colorado.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
He's not a guarantee to play a bigger role in Buffalo either. In fact, given Dahlin's struggles, I think they may toy with the idea of moving Dahlin back to the left side, and pairing him with a righty like Jokiharju, and playing Bo on the second pair. So it might not be that different than in Colorado.
That's like worst case scenario for him. Hope that doesn't happen for his sake

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's like worst case scenario for him. Hope that doesn't happen for his sake

I think it'll be fine if it happens. I honestly don't think he's some kind of ego maniac that needs to play on the top pair.

It's just how the pairings are formed anyway. He can still get a lot of ice time if he's playing well. I think he's probably more concerned with making sure he's playing well, and the team winning, then what role he's in.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I think it'll be fine if it happens. I honestly don't think he's some kind of ego maniac that needs to play on the top pair.

It's just how the pairings are formed anyway. He can still get a lot of ice time if he's playing well. I think he's probably more concerned with making sure he's playing well, and the team winning, then what role he's in.
Just going from playing 2nd pairing on a fledgling team vs 2nd pairing on a contender.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Being happy the team you were traded to has some close friends on it, and telling Buffalo fans you're excited to play for them, doesn't necessarily mean you wanted to be traded off a team that's a Cup favorite.

Neither does talking with your friend about the possibility of playing together one day. I'd bet Nate had those same type of conversations with Sid early in his career. Sakic probably talked with friends back in Vancouver about playing for the Nucks early in his career too.

And I just disagree strongly both with the idea he had to play a top pair role, and that he never would have had one in Colorado. Very possible Toews could have taken a step back and allowed Bo to play with Cale more often, and Toews to play a lesser role as he gets into his 30's..

As you said, though, he's not himself. When did we ever see Byram making the types of hits in Colorado he just made on Crookshank? When did we see him looking incredibly frustrated because seemingly everyone else lacks direction?

I think it's finally dawned on him after the initial honeymoon phase that the Buffalo Sabers are not a good hockey team.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

I think this is probably very much true.

Bo was skipping out of the arena after the trade. I think he was happy at first. He’s got a lot of buddies on Buffalo. He also probably saw it as a place with more opportunity.

Now he’s there and he’s realizing that losing f***ing sucks.

Anyways… who cares about Byram? This guy has been a stud:

1711982968162.gif

(Need someone to load up GIF’s of him in an Avs uni.)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
As you said, though, he's not himself. When did we ever see Byram making the types of hits in Colorado he just made on Crookshank? When did we see him looking incredibly frustrated because seemingly everyone else lacks direction?

I think it's finally dawned on him after the initial honeymoon phase that the Buffalo Sabers are not a good hockey team.

True

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Byram has had hits before that were kinda questionable, and he's always played a chippy game. That's why he gets targeted so much too. I think as much as anything, Buffalo's lack of structure is exposing how bad he is right now defensively. With the Avs, he was still bad defensively, but overall there was usually a good partner or forwards helping keep things in line. Whereas in Buffalo, there is nobody there to cover up the mistakes he's making. Having Joker and Byram on a pairing is also purely asking for disaster... neither is able to defend worth a crap right now. Byram and Dahlin together hamstrings Dahlin's abilities.

IMO two things really need to happen for Byram to succeed next season. First and most importantly, Buffalo needs a better coach with a lot more structure to the system. Second, Byram needs to really key on the defensemen he needs to be at this level. He's not purely talented enough to be an elite offensive guy at the level needed to get away with the mistakes... so focus in on being a much better defensive guy who can be relied on for 22-24 minutes. The talent is there... the IQ/mindset has to come around.

On Fatty here... I hope the Nashville game was just a bad game. I thought it was his worst as an Av.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Amazing how a defenseman who's supposedly not good defensively, not talented, and doesn't have a high IQ, was drafted 4th overall, played the way he did in the NHL playoffs, and somehow still has a chance to become a great defenseman.

Almost like people just say things that aren't true and then hedge their bets.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Amazing how a defenseman who's supposedly not good defensively, not talented, and doesn't have a high IQ, was drafted 4th overall, played the way he did in the NHL playoffs, and somehow still has a chance to become a great defenseman.

Almost like people just say things that aren't true and then hedge their bets.
I don't think I've seen anyone state that Bo is not talented, etc. But his play this year has been subpar, both as an Av and seemingly with Buffalo, too. That doesn't mean he can't pull it together, but right now he's showing why he wasn't ahead of Toews on our depth list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad