Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Casey Mittelstadt for Bo Byram

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram hasn't really put it all together in terms of playing that franchise D level of defense and offense at the same time.

Which isn't that abnormal for a 22 year old. Below are the ages when some of the best D men in the NHL took a big step in their development and started to put it together.

Victor Hedman - 23
Adam Fox - 23/24
Roman Josi - 23 or 24
Noah Dobson - 24
Evan Bouchard - 24
Vince Dunn - 26
Josh Morrisey - 26/27
Devon Toews - 27
Brandon Montour - 28

I think only Josi missed as much time early in his career as Bo has too. If we go back further, there are a ton of other examples of defenseman putting it together in their mid 20’s as well.

Bo is still very young in his NHL career. Especially in games played, where he’s got less than 2 regular seasons’s worth. He’s got plenty of time to put it together.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Don’t tell his parents
Too soon. :laugh:

That man was done the dirtiest of dirties by his own parents. I'm really glad he came to Colorado and won a cup. All the drama and crap that's gone on in his life, I've never seen him take a shift off or questioned his work ethic, never seen him without a smile on his face and have never heard him say anything that wasn't positive. Dude's a damned saint in my book.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who is that?

If we’re being unbiased, while rightly calling Mitts a 2C, even though he was primarily a 3C and a winger in Buffalo, it should be ok for someone to call Bo a top pair defenseman, when that’s where Buffalo said he’d play, and that’s where he is playing.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Mittelstadt was Buffalo's leading scorer despite 2way deployment. How is that a 3C?

Meanwhile, I can totally concede that Byram is capable of playing high event top pairing minutes on a bad team. Just because he's playing there in Buffalo doesn't mean he's already playing at the level of a "top pairing cailber" defender with any regularity though. Let's be clear that those are two distinctly different things.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
That man was done the dirtiest of dirties by his own parents. I'm really glad he came to Colorado and won a cup. All the drama and crap that's gone on in his life, I've never seen him take a shift off or questioned his work ethic, never seen him without a smile on his face and have never heard him say anything that wasn't positive. Dude's a damned saint in my book.
Amen. Imagine having these pieces of shit as parents......I was happy for him to win a cup after all this and enjoy his day with his family... And i am sure Johnson is loved in the locker. A great guy, a "glue-guy" for any locker-room.

Meanwhile, I can totally concede that Byram is capable of playing high event top pairing minutes on a bad team. Just because he's playing there in Buffalo doesn't mean he's already playing at the level of a "top pairing cailber" defender with any regularity though.

Buffalo is playing loose hockey right now. Knowing the season might be over they let the kids play and see what they have...(i know, only "5" points behin, but only 12 games left for them, so they wont make the playoffs)

Once the season starts next year, the expectation will change for the Sabres and for Byram. He is, or will be, a leader on this team. No doubt about that.

Is he capable to be that and play top minutes on the 1st pair! Absolutely. And i really hope he lives up to his potential with no Makar and Toews in his way.

I liked this trade, for both teams, the moment it got done.

And it also showed the culture of our team and the high quality when you watched Byram playing his first game in Buffalo. He must have thought he plays in another world. Another positive thing Byram brings or could bring to Buffalo.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think it's just depth. Think of how excited we all were about the moves, especially getting rid of RyJo. Surely the guys on the team got even more excited by that. And I'm sure they're seeing how good guys like Mitts and Walker are, and are getting even more excited about what they can do in the playoffs. That excitement is in my mind the main reason they've been winning so much lately. Let's just hope they can keep it rolling.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's just depth. Think of how excited we all were about the moves, especially getting rid of RyJo. Surely the guys on the team got even more excited by that. And I'm sure they're seeing how good guys like Mitts and Walker are, and are getting even more excited about what they can do in the playoffs. That excitement is in my mind the main reason they've been winning so much lately. Let's just hope they can keep it rolling.
I'm sure the team is amped to have help. I also think it is important to recognize how drastic of difference the players are. We can dive into a bunch of different ways to look at it, but a simple comparison... and their Avs' impact:

Walker 51.06% xGF% / 62.6 GF%
Byram 47.96% xGF%/ 52.95 GF%

Mitts 57.44% xGF% / 100% GF%
RyJo 44.85% xGF% / 46.81 GF%

This is a drastic change in quality that shouldn't be underestimated.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
giphy 556.gif

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Too soon. :laugh:

Just wanted to say I'm totally with you with JMFJ, guy just seems like the best teammate and as a fan I really enjoy having him on the team.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm sure the team is amped to have help. I also think it is important to recognize how drastic of difference the players are. We can dive into a bunch of different ways to look at it, but a simple comparison... and their Avs' impact:

Surprised RyJo's numbers aren't worse.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Plus him eating ice cream out of the Stanley Cup with his kids was about as wholesome as Cale Makar's bachelor party will be.
Ice cream with the kids and baptisms. JMFJ comes in a very close second place to just how excited Cale was to take the Cup to the nursing home to show his grandma for most wholesome and endearing part of a day with the Cup possible

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario

Also, cause you just know that someone is going to mention that Bo had to play so much with RyJo, why his numbers are probably bad.

43.80 xGF% / 56.25 GF% on Buffalo.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Mittelstadt was Buffalo's leading scorer despite 2way deployment. How is that a 3C?

Meanwhile, I can totally concede that Byram is capable of playing high event top pairing minutes on a bad team. Just because he's playing there in Buffalo doesn't mean he's already playing at the level of a "top pairing cailber" defender with any regularity though. Let's be clear that those are two distinctly different things.

Guy was also Buffalo’s #1 forward by almost a minute in even strength ice time per game. Almost a minute more than Alex Tuch at #2. Well over a minute more than Tage and over two minutes more than Cozens.

That’s not only not third line deployment, that’s top line deployment. Now talent-wise he's probably perceptively behind Tage and Cozens and one could definitely argue in the perfect Sabres world that never existed this season, he should've been #3 in terms of center depth but Tage and Cozens have been wildly inconsistent and ineffective at various points in the season and clearly, Sabres brass gravitated towards the consistent two-way effort of Mitts.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
To a level yes.

Let's compare roster before and after deadline:

Game vs Detroit 7.3.2024

Rantanen-MacK-Lehkonen
Makar-Toews

Parise-Colton-Drouin
Manson-Girard

Kiviranta-Foudy-Wood
Jones-Johnson

Cogliano-Wagner-Pavel

Game vs Wild after the deadline 9.3.2024:

Rantanen-MacK-Lehkonen
Makar-Toews

Drouin-Mittelstadt-Nichushkin
Manson-Girard

Trenin-Colton-Wood
Walker-Johnson

Kiviranta-Cogliano-Duhaime

It's a big difference LMAO. Nuke coming back was massive too.

vs Detroit we had basically FIRST LINE, one third line and then two fourth lines.

Game vs Wild we had proper FIRST LINE, SECOND LINE, THIRD LINE and FOURTH LINE. Pretty insane difference!

Also improved the third pair (Defense), although Byram would have been there before.

It's crazy how much carrying MacK and Rantanen had to do for this offense. That's why they were so happy after these adds. Hah.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To a level yes.

Let's compare roster before and after deadline:

Game vs Detroit 7.3.2024

Rantanen-MacK-Lehkonen
Makar-Toews

Parise-Colton-Drouin
Manson-Girard

Kiviranta-Foudy-Wood
Jones-Johnson

Cogliano-Wagner-Pavel

Game vs Wild after the deadline 9.3.2024:

Rantanen-MacK-Lehkonen
Makar-Toews

Drouin-Mittelstadt-Nichushkin
Manson-Girard

Trenin-Colton-Wood
Walker-Johnson

Kiviranta-Cogliano-Duhaime

It's a big difference LMAO. Nuke coming back was massive too.

vs Detroit we had basically FIRST LINE, one third line and then two fourth lines.

Game vs Wild we had proper FIRST LINE, SECOND LINE, THIRD LINE and FOURTH LINE. Pretty insane difference!

Also improved the third pair (Defense), although Byram would have been there before.

It's crazy how much carrying MacK and Rantanen had to do for this offense. That's why they were so happy after these adds. Hah.
The deadline was March not July. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad