Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Monahan is gone probably Boston, too many suitors for him. Chevy will have lots of holes to fill.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Need a couple of guys who will just do whatever it takes, when things rachet up (playoffs)

Still don't get that vibe, with this team, overall.....other than 4 or 5 guys. Not enough.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Even though the feels are different; we actually performed worse in the playoffs this year than last, and we had an injury riddled lineup last year; missing Ehlers, JoMO, Schief etc. most of the time.

Wpg / Vg
game 1= 5-1 win (Jets dominated)
game 2= 5-2 (empty net goal, first half was close) loss,
game 3= 5-4 (double OT, comeback from 4-1, missing JoMo, Samberg giveaway cost the game) loss
game 4= 4-2 (empty net, close game)
game 5= 4-1 (Vegas dominated mostly, shots were 30-25 for Wpg, missing key guys )

When you look closely, the double OT game, game 4 and even game 2, were much closer in the end. Granted, we were leading going into the 3rd against the Avs in game 3 before the penalty explosion. But, game 1 was a really close game. Every other game was mostly lopsided, especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Again, this is just to look closely at the narrative vs reality. We got roasted this year, much worse than last year, and we were healthy this year comparatively. Last year could've easily been 6 games and we were in every game but the last.

Let that sink in.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted. Some interesting analysis and a few detailed takes on Bowness' handling of the series, starting at around 21:40.

Trigger warning: Plenty of compliments for players, not so much for the coaching.

Reactions: scelaton

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Im unclear what you're arguing here... he made the team and then broke his ankle - the guy looked good and he'll be on the starting day roster next season

I agree that we have not drafted playoff style D aside from the Stanley disaster - but I have a hard time blaming Heinola when Maurice plays fkn Sbisa and Bitetto instead of integrating any of our prospects... then we just let 6'5 RHD Kovacevic walk which was truly baffling - he's better than Stan.

Its a moot point if Pionk is still our 2nd pairing and PK go to guy next year though

you said he's on the same level if not better than Harley. I asked how, and what does it translate to NHL gameplay. & you decided to start talking about Sbisa or Bitetto now. the OP you quoted was not responding to you.

prior to this year 3-year;
Heinola: 46 CF% & xGF%, 34 GF% (-10 actual goals)
Harley: 53 CF%, 52 xGF%, 52 GF% (+2)

Harley made the most of his opportunities and showed potential when he was on the ice, Heinola has not. Do those numbers continue for him :dunno:, however i can see why perhaps a competitive team does not want to ice him especially when the LD is good & consisted of Morrissey-Dillon-Samberg.

i don't disagree he could've gotten some more opportunities earlier, ie: perhaps the Canadian Division when Stanley was playing well and Forbort stunk, maybe spell Heinola in. i liked Heinola's play in '19-'20 but the chances of a 18-19 year old sticking was going to be slim.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Re JetsUK post #485 above (can't seem to get HF to quote it)

The descriptor that stays with me is that the he didn't "optimize" what he had, even though he had less raw talent than the Avs. Instead, he defaulted to Sinatra:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfish

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Not sure if this has been posted. Some interesting analysis and a few detailed takes on Bowness' handling of the series, starting at around 21:40.

Trigger warning: Plenty of compliments for players, not so much for the coaching.

Wow, bang on. “Bowness’s security blanket was on fire.”
“playing safe kills”

Exactly what we’ve been saying all year.

Reactions: Bigfish

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Hindsight:
Miller plays from game 1
Perfetti plays from game 1
Stanley doesn't play.
LB goes in game 3 or 4.

Consider scratching Pionk and Appleton

Game 3 was an alarm
Game 4 was an emergency, act accordingly

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hindsight:
Miller plays from game 1
Perfetti plays from game 1
Stanley doesn't play.
LB goes in game 3 or 4.

Consider scratching Pionk and Appleton

Game 3 was an alarm
Game 4 was an emergency, act accordingly
Also hindsight don’t bother trading for Toffoli guy did nothing. Those picks still have a chance of working out.

Reactions: Crocket

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
One of our media folks said that he was the best defenseman in training camp and it wasn’t even close.
well jeez. move over Norrissey (and Dillon, Samberg, Demelo) then, it's Heinorris now. training camp, we talking about training camp... who cares. he looked good against AHL or pre-season competition, how has he done in the NHL?

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
well jeez. move over Norrissey (and Dillon, Samberg, Demelo) then, it's Heinorris now. training camp, we talking about training camp... who cares. he looked good against AHL or pre-season competition, how has he done in the NHL?

The discussions around this guy will always be academic until he gets a proper run. Most can probably agree he's outgrown the AHL.

Yeah he hasn't had great results, but Samberg's first 30 games or so were really bad too. I just want to see him get a run so we can settle it finally.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The discussions around this guy will always be academic until he gets a proper run. Most can probably agree he's outgrown the AHL.

Yeah he hasn't had great results, but Samberg's first 30 games or so were really bad too. I just want to see him get a run so we can settle it finally.
Samberg wasn't really bad in his first 30 games. Post a side by side comparing him and heinola, and since you concluded samberg is really bad, what does that make heinola.

Weird how you don't bring up this "always academic" or "needs a run so we can settle it" when folks are already saying he's more talented than Harley, or a saviour for us in the PO's

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Samberg wasn't really bad in his first 30 games. Post a side by side comparing him and heinola, and since you concluded samberg is really bad, what does that make heinola.

Weird how you don't bring up this "always academic" or "needs a run so we can settle it" when folks are already saying he's more talented than Harley, or a saviour for us in the PO's
I just don't really make a habit of trying to 'correct' peoples' love of prospects... i know people will overrate them at times but it seems relatively harmless to me or I don't care at any rate.

But I do think not making an effort to get Heinola games is a fair org criticism and i don't think it's fair to say he's bad. He hasn't been good but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came good with a decent run

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I just don't really make a habit of trying to 'correct' peoples' love of prospects... i know people will overrate them at times but it seems relatively harmless to me or I don't care at any rate.

But I do think not making an effort to get Heinola games is a fair org criticism and i don't think it's fair to say he's bad. He hasn't been good but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came good with a decent run
Don't think it's fair to say he's bad
But
Seems like it's ok to say he's superior than Harley, or best dman based on training camp. Got it.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Don't think it's fair to say he's bad
But
Seems like it's ok to say he's superior than Harley, or best dman based on training camp. Got it.

I'm just saying I don't make it my business to go around trying to correct peoples' enjoyment of our prospects. I know we have other people *cough* on the forum for that very important job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad