Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Like any position in any career, you live and die by your decisions - Making no moves is not the answer - either is making the wrong moves.
It's debatable how much impact these moves had on the end result - but they can certainly be considered.
Yes, the pitchforks are out - it's a hockey forum and they are usually always out to some extent and everyone (players, coaches, management) will be part of it.
If you disagree, make your point - but I don't get calling out "people" for voicing an opinion on a hockey form - isn't that a big part of what goes on around here?
My point was obvious, or at least I thought it was

Chevy made the best decisions he could with the information ha had at the time - which is all he could have done. Both this board and the media agreed that he did a good job

Let's say (for a second) that he made no moves and we limped into the playoffs and got beat in 5 games... would THAT have been the right move?

So you can see that it a no-win for him. The same way a ref watches something happen on the ice that could be a penalty - half the people think he's wrong if he makes the call, and rhe other half thinks he's wrong if he doesn't.

I guess there will be 31 GM vacancies come June because only one GM did it "right"

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Except the other teams which were eliminated in 4 or 5 games.

Well, there's losing and there's losing.

None of the other teams eliminated so far set new NHL records for most goals allowed in a series. Also, none of the other teams eliminated so far were seeded higher than the team that beat them. No one else got annihilated the way the Jets did. The Caps got swept but they at least put up a fight.

I have no issue with a team like the Capitals. They barely made it into the playoffs as an 8th seed. Sure they got owned by the #1 seed, but you kind of expect that. Nothing but respect for a team that claws it's way into the playoffs but just doesn't have the horses to hang with the President's Trophy winner. Similar situation with Islanders.

Likewise, I have more respect for the Leafs ... yeah they can never make it past the first round, but they actually dug down and found a way to win (without Matthews no less) versus the Bruins who were significantly better during the regular season. Leafs played bad gutless hockey before that, and but for last night I'd be lumping them in with the Jets.

What you see with other teams is they at least didn't completely collapse and act as barely a speed bump to their opponents. So I say those teams did have another gear or at least didn't downshift. Jets went from 110 pt Jennings "winners" to whatever that was when playoffs began.

Again, I know some of you guys are really hurting right now but get some bleeding perspective. Half the league doesn't make it into the playoffs. Of the teams that make the playoffs, half of them are eliminated in the first round.

I hear you, and I have absolutely no issue with a team that's legitimately not good, barely makes the playoffs or doesn't make the playoffs. As stated elsewhere, I wasn't mad or upset when Jets were swept in 2015. They were in every game, they fought, the effort was undeniable. They (99 pt 8th seed) were just utterly outclassed talent-wise by the Ducks (109 pt 1st seed). Nothing but respect for that iteration of the Jets.

What I cannot abide is a team who puts up 110 points and then puts up no fight in the playoffs. That's the difference for me. I understand only one team goes the distance -- just make the other team earn it!

You can call the team rubbish and weak and frauds, but after you've have your tantrum and dried your eyes, look back on the season we've had and think how many fans in this league would have loved to be in our place.

Maybe? I don't know, but you're probably right, I guess there are people who are entertained by what we just saw.

Tantrum? We'll have to just disagree on that. I've been mildly frustrated with this team before, but always enjoyed it and continued to support them. This was something else. I guess I just don't have the temperament for a team like this. I've always hated good regular season teams who are soft as butter in the playoffs which is why I completely turned against the Leafs who used to be the team I supported between 1996 and 2011. I think that people are entitled to have different perspectives and different things that they fund frustrating or downright enraging without descending into insults.

I'm glad that you are fine with this result. That doesn't make those who aren't babies having tantrums, IMO.

Now, while my fandom is certainly not contingent on Stumbledore's permission or approval, I do find merit to some of your comments. And since I'm not going to change my personality or my hatred of gutless playoff crumpling (always hated that with a passion when I played, and although I was never more than a 4th line grinder type I can at least say I know I played my best games in high pressure situations and actually scored more goals in one playoffs than my entire regular season career LOL) -- I should probably step away.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I was not happy with Monahan's play in the playoffs either BUT before the pitchforks come out lets wait to hear the injury reports. Wiebe last night said he saw Monahan coming out of the medical room after the game so know maybe he had an injury but his playoff performance was not good ... he did had a few chances to bury the puck in the series but came up empty a few times.

Reactions: Ponds

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm sure you can find a different team to cheer for who are perpetual contenders with big, strong players. After this round, 25% of the teams that started the season will still be playing. Maybe start your search there
All I ask for is a team that puts up a fight.

Honestly, the Leafs started converting me a bit with their victory last night.

But no, I can't cheer for someone other than the Jets.

I realised that I've now posted about 3 or 4 times that it's probably time for me to step away. So yeah, it's time. When my favourite posters are telling me to shut up and go away, yeah, it's time. I've let stuff get to me too much, not enjoying the game "properly" or whatever.

It's been a slice. Probably my favourite aspect of following the Jets has been this forum. Lots of great people here and interesting commentary discussion. My apologies for letting my emotions get the better of me and spouting off too much in here. Didn't want to leave on a bad note, but I have no one but myself to blame.

Always enjoyed your commentaries Buffdog, so I take your calling-out seriously and as a wakeup call.

@Jet your posts always stood out to me as well. Take care.

@Jets 31 always enjoy your upbeat approach and all the Big Lebowski memes and such.

@macmaroon thanks for all the effort you put into the gameday threads.

@sipowicz keep being cantankerous and calling players out.

I know there's a ton I'm missing. No disrespect, I just named the first few I thought of. I KNOW there are lots more. I hope the Jets have some monster seasons in the future for you all to enjoy. All the best to all of you.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trash the whole coaching staff and get in on Berube, even with the great regular season you can't run it back with this crew next year.

I think that Chipman and Chevy will see it as looking at the big picture. They will see it as the regular season was great. The PO were just a little 5 game hiccough.

I expect Bones to retire. Arniel will be HC. I hope Lauer is gone but I'm not confident of that.

I think Chevy will get an 'attaboy' and still be here. He will try to re-sign Dillon, DeMelo and Monahan. Not sure he will be successful with any of those efforts. Pionk and Schmidt will both be back. I will be only a little surprised if Pionk is extended.

Reactions: Ggg99

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
All I ask for is a team that puts up a fight.

Honestly, the Leafs started converting me a bit with their victory last night.

But no, I can't cheer for someone other than the Jets.

I realised that I've now posted about 3 or 4 times that it's probably time for me to step away. So yeah, it's time. When my favourite posters are telling me to shut up and go away, yeah, it's time. I've let stuff get to me too much, not enjoying the game "properly" or whatever.

It's been a slice. Probably my favourite aspect of following the Jets has been this forum. Lots of great people here and interesting commentary discussion. My apologies for letting my emotions get the better of me and spouting off too much in here. Didn't want to leave on a bad note, but I have no one but myself to blame.

Always enjoyed your commentaries Buffdog, so I take your calling-out seriously and as a wakeup call.

@Jet your posts always stood out to me as well. Take care.

@Jets 31 always enjoy your upbeat approach and all the Big Lebowski memes and such.

@macmaroon thanks for all the effort you put into the gameday threads.

@sipowicz keep being cantankerous and calling players out.

I know there's a ton I'm missing. No disrespect, I just named the first few I thought of. I KNOW there are lots more. I hope the Jets have some monster seasons in the future for you all to enjoy. All the best to all of you.
Listen... I understand the frustration and that nerves are raw for people this morning. I've always enjoyed your input too and I think that for many, once the scars from this heal over, the passion for the team and the org will be evident

There's a class of poster who isn't happy unless they're not happy, and you're not one of them.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Wow, lots of raw feelings in here this morning. Understandable.

While this might be inappropriate, might I suggest that everyone who's feeling really sad and depressed this morning, check this out with the volume turned up:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
If the Avs’ next opponent walks over them in 4, I guess I’d have some questions but until then I’m not sure what to make of this series. They were much better in the last game, probably should have started Brossoit just to change things up a bit, could have won so easily. Have to tip the hat to Bednar for not panicking about his goalie after Game 1 when the big story was Colorado’s goalie crisis. But maybe Bowness should have panicked more after 4 games with Hellebuyck.

Reactions: Ponds and Buffdog

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Full marks to the Avs. They came into the series and basically forgot the regular season and took their game to another level, coaching included and the Jets couldn't match.

Very frustrating as a fan watching the Jets have the 4th best record in the league, and give up the lowest amount of goals look like a team always on their back foot, and always without an answer.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Excluding the Game 1 Scoring Anomaly, Scheifele was terrible. If your top line C is getting outscored 7-2 at 5v5 you're hooped.

Lowry's line did nothing to stem the bleeding either. Outscored 4-1 at 5v5 in games 2-5.

Special teams sucked - as they have all year so no big surprise really. They've been a problem all year, and nothing was done about it (except adding Monahan to the PP like it was a player issue and not a system issue. Fire Lauer).

Hellebuyck was terrible - and this was a surprise. You can expect him to struggle a bit sometimes, but that was an epic collapse. Giving up an extra goal above expected every game is bad enough, never mind when the team is giving up xG like the San Jose Sharks.

Coaching - oh boy, was Bones outcoached. Colorado knew how to fluster the Jets and once they got rolling it was just a matter of time before the team imploded. Bones had no answers. Finally changed up the lines for the 1st and 2nd in Game 5, then reverts back to the lines that sucked all year to put the final nail in the coffin for the season.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
I agree - because he's really the guy that is pulling all the strings.
If he stays, you can pretty much expect any and all future coaches to be in the same boat as Bones - so hoping / wishing for change behind the bench won't really matter - they will all play the players Chevy provides - or they could find themselves out of a job.
I think the org is very much aware of this - and that might be the reason they rarely consider a coaching change.

Good point. May also explain why he goes for similar type coaches.

I've had a lingering hunch that it goes up a rung higher than Cheveldayoff, but admittedly, that's only speculation on my part.

If it happened to be the truth, it would mean that our GM was also beholden to the individual I'm thinking of. Which may or may not handicap certain decisions he was able to make, resulting in a trickle-down effect on the entire organization.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Excluding the Game 1 Scoring Anomaly, Scheifele was terrible. If your top line C is getting outscored 7-2 at 5v5 you're hooped.

Lowry's line did nothing to stem the bleeding either. Outscored 4-1 at 5v5 in games 2-5.

Special teams sucked - as they have all year so no big surprise really. They've been a problem all year, and nothing was done about it (except adding Monahan to the PP like it was a player issue and not a system issue. Fire Lauer).

Hellebuyck was terrible - and this was a surprise. You can expect him to struggle a bit sometimes, but that was an epic collapse. Giving up an extra goal above expected every game is bad enough, never mind when the team is giving up xG like the San Jose Sharks.

Coaching - oh boy, was Bones outcoached. Colorado knew how to fluster the Jets and once they got rolling it was just a matter of time before the team imploded. Bones had no answers. Finally changed up the lines for the 1st and 2nd in Game 5, then reverts back to the lines that sucked all year to put the final nail in the coffin for the season.
Great post!

Unfortunatley many here won't be able to handle it!

Despite being under .880 in 5 straight games the Helly fans boys still think he played great which is insane!

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Sums it all up.

All of these things compounding over the course of the series made for a short playoff stint for the Jets.

The only star player on the roster, in my opinion, who should be holding their head high after this series is Josh Morrissey. He had an extremely tough task in battling against that top line and was able to chip in on offense on the other end, too.

Same old story of this team having waaaayy too many passengers when the going got tough.

Last edited:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019

I wish that you and Marty would stop picking on Ehlers already...

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
People who are advocating for firing chevy should be careful what they ask for

Sure, the next hire could do a better job. But there are also a bunch of Dubas/Trevillings out there waiting to get hired. The next guy could do a MUCH worse job
I don't necessarily want Chevy to go, I thought he did a good job this year all things considered. I agree we could have a far worse option as GM. I would like a fresh perspective though, some new ideas and eyes on the project. That couldn't hurt, imo. If there was a way to have both, I'd consider that the ideal outcome.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
This was a much, much worse result than last year. I had little faith we’d beat Vegas. Expectations were considerably higher this year. This was a total failure and I do hope there are some significant changes to the team for next year.
Same. Maybe it's because we saw it last year once. But went into last night game with the least confidence I've ever had with this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad