Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 2, Series tied at 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Helle is one of our best players year over year, but we need to be honest. He’s killing us when we really need him.

View attachment 858919
yeah there's no denying helle's regular season prowess. but needs to be better in the POs. i get that the defense hasn't been perfect either, & it may be a bit unfair to expect Helle to continuously bail the team out, however that's been the expectation/standard for him.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Last night....
Not enough goals
Not enough saves
Not enough D

Can't keep going 0-3 with these, and expect to win...

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Wouldn't mind working Perfetti in next game, the way these games are getting played I think he brings a lot of value for us

Schmidt in too for stan to get some better puck movement and Samberg back on the left
I'd put Schmidt in for Samberg, he's just too slow for the playoffs.

Reactions: jokesondee

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't think it's as focused on because it went down for a goal (also Vilardi's lack of awareness didn't help) but my bigger issue with Ehlers on that play wasn't so much that he turned it over, but decided to cut back to the blue line and try to circle around the outside.
Just like that Eminem song.

• Love
Reactions: kanadalainen

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Felt a little like a tale of 2 games. The first was pre Scheifele's goal and the 2nd was post. Not that the Jets were great in the first section, but it was closer.

I really thought after killing that 4 minute penalty and then scoring right after would have been a massive momentum boost. I just didn't seeing it being a boost for the Avs.

IMO the Jets have to get back on the forecheck, and also figure out a competent breakout strategy. @WPGChief has laid it out. Our chip it out strategy by almost every D is just never going to work.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Here's what I don't understand.

From what I've listened to, most involved with Jets media are putting the kibosh on Brossoit potentially getting a start. Even though they've also acknowledged CH has underperformed in the NHL playoffs during his career, thus far. "Not a chance" they say.

Why? I've been saying, he needs to be on his game. I'd put it as the most important key to the teams success. First two games he's had solid starts to the opening period, but hasn't put a complete performance together. His mistake playing the puck was a culmination of errors, not entirely on him, but it's the main reason a goal is scored. The breakaway in the dying seconds must be stopped, especially after giving up the third the way he does. Deflating. It's a tough lot being a goalie, but that's nature of the position.

I don't want to sound like I'm being overly critical, it's only been two games. I'm pulling for the guy to bounce back and he deserves time to do so. But let's just say he plays poorly in game 3, then 4. Poor enough that you can pin it on his play as a primary reason. Do you not give LB the nod at that point? What's the worst that can happen if you're already in a 3-1 hole (God forbid)? We lose again? LB could run with his chance and play out of his gourd. If he was terrible in relief all year, sure, you don't even contemplate it. But he's been unreal, filling in for a guy who's likely to win a second Vezina.

So what if CH has the big contract or how he would feel about it? If it's become that dire, he should have a decent idea why he's sitting on the bench. Maybe they're coming at it with inside information, already knowing the org is going to live and die with their big money man. To me, it's about giving the team the best chance to win, not optics.

Lets hope this becomes a non issue soon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

From what I've listened to, most involved with Jets media are putting the kibosh on Brossoit potentially getting a start. Even though they've also acknowledged CH has underperformed in the NHL playoffs during his career, thus far. "Not a chance" they say.

Why? I've been saying, he needs to be on his game. I'd put it as the most important key to the teams success. First two games he's had solid starts to the opening period, but hasn't put a complete performance together. His mistake playing the puck was a culmination of errors, not entirely on him, but it's the main reason a goal is scored. The breakaway in the dying seconds must be stopped, especially after giving up the third the way he does. Deflating. It's a tough lot being a goalie, but that's nature of the position.

I don't want to sound like I'm being overly critical, it's only been two games. I'm pulling for the guy to bounce back and he deserves time to do so. But let's just say he plays poorly in game 3, then 4. Poor enough that you can pin it on his play as a primary reason. Do you not give LB the nod at that point? What's the worst that can happen if you're already in a 3-1 hole (God forbid)? We lose again? LB could run with his chance and play out of his gourd. If he was terrible in relief all year, sure, you don't even contemplate it. But he's been unreal, filling in for a guy who's likely to win a second Vezina.

So what if CH has the big contract or how he would feel about it? If it's become that dire, he should have a decent idea why he's sitting on the bench. Maybe they're coming at it with inside information, already knowing the org is going to live and die with their big money man. To me, it's about giving the team the best chance to win, not optics.

Has Helle really underachieved for his career? That seems to be a media invented thing as his save percentage in the playoffs is similar to that of the regular season.

He hasn't been great so far this year, and was mediocre last year. But prior to that he was very good to elite in the playoffs.

As far as Brossoit, if Helle falters next game then I think you have to look at it.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
An absolutely gorgeous day, great balcony time with enough restraint to avoid a sunburn, and this place is still roiling with discussions about goalies and players and whatever.

Well, as long as I'm unemployed, I'm going to enjoy days like this.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Why de he swim on the ice for 3 seconds. Get the f*** up, man.

Also, it was 4 on 4, that f support isn't present
As if your second forward isn't supporting you at 4v4... everyone needs to be ready for pick support in that situation Definitely shouldn't be changing

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
2nd line

the 2nd line is taking a bunch of low-danger shots. Ehlers is supposed to be one of the top 5v5 fwds & offensive creators/line-elevators and hasn't done that through the 2 games,

the line is at at 74.55 CF/60 currently, with 1.86 xGF/60 (from MoneyPuck). they take 40 CFs to generated 1xGF, that's the worst of the lines. they are Corsi juicing with 0 to show.

xGF in small samples such as 2 playoff games is not as reliable as CF. xGF is very volatile and in such small samples one blocked shot getting through could raise raise that from 1.86xGF to 2.7xGF/60. They haven't been great but I would not draw implications of juicing corsi based on xG numbers in such low min samples.

Reactions: hn777

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Has Helle really underachieved for his career? That seems to be a media invented thing as his save percentage in the playoffs is similar to that of the regular season.

He hasn't been great so far this year, and was mediocre last year. But prior to that he was very good to elite in the playoffs.

As far as Brossoit, if Helle falters next game then I think you have to look at it.
For the record, I'm mostly questioning the narrative that there's absolutely no circumstance where LB gets a game. That it's preposterous to even suggest. Yes, the scenario in which he does would have to be worse case, so maybe it's irrelevant, as I have major faith good things are yet to unfold during this series. Like I said, if we didn't have an amazing backup, there's no discussion. But we do, so I think it's fair there is.

CH is a victim of the lofty standards he himself has set. He's held to a higher standard because we know what he's capable of. I'd make the argument he's underperformed in the playoffs because he hasn't consistently been at the peak of his powers. In the last 2 games, I don't think he's played terrible, but he hasn't played great. If he prevents Colorado's third and fourth goals, Jets are likely heading to Denver up 2 zip. Personally I don't know if I can agree that he's been elite yet in the playoffs. Maybe the stats back it up, but I don't consider him the main reason we went on our longest postseason run. The best goaltenders to ply their trade steal games and defy logic in what they're able to keep out of the net. They can single handedly take a team to victory, despite how everyone else is playing. He hasn't fit that bill thus far and I think this group requires it from him. If and when CH finds that zone, it likely means a Cup.

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

When was the last time a top goalie was benched in the playoffs? I have no idea, it must've happened at some point. I guess it depends what they figure Helle needs to get back on his game. If playing through the bad is the way then keep him playing, if taking a game off for him to get back then I guess do that. I think tho it's the former, and that also Helle wants to keep playing.

Reactions: Ponds and Buffdog

Goodette

Jun 23, 2023
Playoffs start and guys will take a lot more punishment in front of Helle than they otherwise would. For a goalie it is a different game. Add to that about 20 tons of pressure he faces to live up to Vezina status.

I can see the value of changing goalies only to make us wake up defensively. But... I also fear ruining Helle's confidence. He got us here and we have to ride him all the way.

Reactions: Inanna

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Brossoit has a career .888sv% in the playoffs. His playoff run last season that at least a few have said was good enough that we should feel comfortable with him being in net he was .894%, and those stats were padded by playing the Jets who were missing their top defenseman and 3 of their top forwards.

His sv% in the Edmonton series before getting injured was .841sv%.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Maybe some of you need to look at a different perspectiive … go read the Avs social media and not just on the HF boards.
Nobody blames Helly for the lost the majority of them ALL say Georgiev won them the game.
If you want to blame someone blame the fans at the game for the Georgiev chants … one day they will learn NEVER wake up a player/team. A lot of the Avs players said they played for Georgiev.
Hopefully the Avs fans give Helly the same treatment … guaranteed Jets win with a shutout.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanadalainen

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As if your second forward isn't supporting you at 4v4... everyone needs to be ready for pick support in that situation Definitely shouldn't be changing
Well when the appropriate play, the play im sure the vast majority of teams employ is to drive the puck deep and pressure the opponent to allow your team to change and then change yourself, perhaps Monahan was expecting Ehlers to, you know, stick to the plan and not go for a swim

Reactions: Orrrules

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Can he carry the puck out of the DZ?
IMG_4025.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events