Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 2, Series tied at 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How could anyone be surprised by the criticism of a goaltender letting in 10 goals in two games? I really like Connor. He seems like an amazing father and a truly decent human being, and frankly, somebody I would love to have lunch with and just pick their brain about life and fatherhood. I would go so far as to say that he could be a real role model as a father and as a person. But he's not being paid millions of dollars to be an awesome human and a great dad. He's being paid millions of dollars to be a venzina goaltender in the playoffs, not just the regular season. Of all the shit that has disappointed me in games one and two, his garbage play is at the top of the list.

It's tied for me with Ehlers' play, I wish Ehlers was just invisible but he's visibly bad right now.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The Avs are very beatable. We just need to forecheck the crap out of them and not let them get wound up through the neutral zone.
We need to get back to that system instead of being intimidated by them.
Perfetti should come in. We need depth scoring.
My big concern for game three and four is how many minutes the Scheifele line will be playing against McKinnon’s line. That could get really ugly.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I wish Appleton was a main problem for this team but he's way down the list at the moment.

Hellebuyck simply must be better. He's being outdueled by f***ing georgiev.

Ehlers, Toffoli might as well not be dressed.

Stanley and Samberg as a pair are being exposed.

I've liked Schiefele and Connor for better and worse is playing the way he always does. I have liked his involvement in the backcheck.

We need more from Monahan and Vilardi.

The Avs look like they want the puck way more. They look like they have something to prove.

The Jets look like they are scared of that.

I am seriously concerned that the core of this team does not have what it takes to handle the pressure and elevated desperation of the playoffs.

Outside of a handful of players we have an awful lot of passengers and shrinking violets.

This is more than a game 2 first round loss hangover.

If they wilt and lose this series is an existential crisis for this team.

The org. is so loyal that they will simply run this group back and to expect different results with the same result is insanity.

The Stanley Cup is insanely hard to win, and I'm not one to say that if we don't win it we are a failure, but what I won't accept is a group of guys that just lay down every time things get difficult.

Jets better find a way to match the Avalanche intensity and desperation or its going to be a long offseason.
Lots of good points especially the core of this team, if they lose this series something will have to be done you just can't keep running it back and having the same results year after year. Friday's game is the pivotal one of the series the Jets have to come out from the get go with intensity and take control from the opening face off

Nov 24, 2006
There’s no way Stanley would be in next game if I were coach. Avs get last change and they’ll ensure MacKinnon and anyone with speed targets him. I would also consider pushing Tiny Eyes down the lineup, and put Perfetti in for someone (it’s likely Gus). They won’t do it, but they should at least be thinking of Croissant.

I don’t want to read a thing about Helle’s confidence and how he thought he had a good game. Letting in that stinker off the face off shouldn’t happen in any pro league. He simply wasn’t ready. The other gaffe is on him too.

Reactions: hockeyarena

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It's tied for me with Ehlers' play, I wish Ehlers was just invisible but he's visibly bad right now.

He made some brutal plays last night -- don't think that was the case in 1, where he set up some Grade A chances and sat alone in front of the net as Toffee wanged it away at a terrible angle. He's trying too hard, he's making mistakes -- but who the feck else is carrying the puck on that line? Or backchecking? Or drawing D in to open up lanes? Where have Mono and especially T been?

But Helle is our best player, so he has to be our best player. He hasn't been. Watching Bob pull saves out of nowhere makes me wonder if Helle can't save a game and put an overmatched (for long stretches) team on his back.

I thought the Avs pounded us in game 1 and were unlucky to lose. Then they did it again for much of last night, and weren't so unlucky. Mack will play half of every game until he can't anymore, but that's unlikely to happen in Rd 1. Bones seem pleased at how our 1st and 3rd lines are handling his line, but they're not nearly as free to create offence when their game so focused on containing the Avs' top guns, for 24-28 minutes a night.

Not sure what Bones might to but bringing in 91 and maybe shifting T might help even things out. And you know the next man up will play his heart out. That second line, like the 4th, needs to be winning its matchups. The top line has played some very committed hockey, but we can't win as a 2 line team.

Agree with others that our D has looked static and slow. I've been banging the drum for a switch-up that has Sammy on his natural side, even if it means bringing in 88 or Miller. Pionk is written in stone, so it's up to him to get his fecking game going and carry the puck without coughing it up.

Too few D leaving the zone with control, too many plays where the puck gets panic-passed right back to the next wave of Avs -- usually Mackinnon, but honestly if doesn't seem to matter -- way too much time spent camped out behind the net praying for options. Big Stan ain't helping to clear a crease or transition a puck when he's Stewarting himself out of position for the big hits. Too little time on transition with puck possession and not enough pressure on Georgiev.

1-1 is fine. There's time to sort things out. Even if that means some creative adjustments and a whole lot of learning on the fly. The Jets can play elite hockey. They need to do it now.

I’d suggest getting Perfetti in the line up, and switch Toffoli with Names. Gets more speed on the 2nd line, and Names has been solid so far, giving more support for Ehlers.

Solid suggestion for sure. Especially if Barron can draw back in and ratchet up the speed and heavy forecheck.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The problem with pulling Helle early is this team has shown over and over that playing with a man advantage is hardly a guarantee of possession or sustained pressure.

6-on-4 is such a massive upgrade on 6-on-5 though. And a big part of the benefit of pulling the goalie there is that they will almost certainly dump the puck instead of chancing it at an empty net. You’ll notice we didn’t even get one full minute of 6-on-5 before getting scored on. Instead, they got four clears on their PK.

TL;DR: granting your point, if anything, makes it more urgent to pull the goalie because 6 on 4 is almost our only chance to get any pressure.

Reactions: Jet and JetsUK

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Toffoli is a high end goal scorer. If this management and coaching staff wanted him they should have had a plan with how to use him. Clearly they did not because he's been invisible out there

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Toffoli is a high end goal scorer. If this management and coaching staff wanted him they should have had a plan with how to use him. Clearly they did not because he's been invisible out there

Yep.

I'm sure they scouted him, so they must have had a plan beyond "stick him on the Monahan line, and hope," so maybe there's an adjustment that can make better use of him. I thought he looked good in for Nino on the 3rd line -- hopefully there's some remote possibility that the Sacred Third can be rejigged if there are benefits elsewhere up and down the lineup.

Coaching staff needs to be creative. And ruthless.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He made some brutal plays last night -- don't think that was the case in 1, where he set up some Grade A chances and sat alone in front of the net as Toffee wanged it away at a terrible angle. He's trying too hard, he's making mistakes -- but who the feck else is carrying the puck on that line? Or backchecking? Or drawing D in to open up lanes? Where have Mono and especially T been?

Ehlers does carry the puck into the zone and then carries it around a bit until he loses it. On the Manson 4-2 goal, he carried the puck into the zone, curled back to the blue line while his teammates went to the net, then went around the outside and lost the puck along the boards. The whole second line needs to be better but whereas Monahan and Toffoli have been largely invisible, Ehlers is noticeable in his mistakes.

Helly may be a great goalie, but last night he was responsible for 2 goals ( off the faceoff, just wasn't ready... and the gaff behind the net )

He's the reason we win a lot of the time, but last night he was the reason we lost.

He needs to be better absolutely but I'm not sure who could've watched the game last night and thought they played well enough to win except for bad goaltending.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Ehlers does carry the puck into the zone and then carries it around a bit until he loses it. On the Manson 4-2 goal, he carried the puck into the zone, curled back to the blue line while his teammates went to the net, then went around the outside and lost the puck along the boards. The whole second line needs to be better but whereas Monahan and Toffoli have been largely invisible, Ehlers is noticeable in his mistakes.
This is because neither of them carry the puck though, ehlers is asked to do all of the heavy lifting of moving the puck on that line.

I do think Ehlers was tripped prior to that 4th goal, but he needs to get off his ass and make a play instead of sitting there and trying to do a back hand toe drag while on his ass.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I heard Don Cherry tell a story once that the famous Eddie Shore was coaching in the A he had a goalie that would drop to his knees all the time. So his fix was to tie a rope from his neck to the cross bar in practice so if he dropped he chocked himself. Ahhhh the good old days.

Bones should apply this to Helly except tie rope around his waist to the center post of the net. Say no more than 4 feet of slack and not just in practice. It that or a @#$&ING shock collar.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I feel like we played a lot better this game than last. Colorado just locked it down better. And for the most part so did we.

What I'm reading isn't how I remember it last night. That Helly goal really was the TSN turning point.

We got into a bit too much of that trying too many cross nice passes. They were breaking up all our 3 on 2's with backpressure.

We need to play this team in the corners as much as we can. That's where our size and depth can start to wear them down playing in their own end. Avs play a loose enough style in tight games, we will get some chances...

Breakout is not great, we need some adjustments ththereway better than game 1 though.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
it's really amazing how it's the same playoff script every year. ehlers soft (still think he isn't?), helle puck handling gaffes, a rental who doesn't appear engaged. next it will be our best players getting mysterious injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad