Avg. Ticket price ranking for all teams

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Thought this would be interesting to share.

Average ticket prices for NHL teams in the 2005-06 season, highest to lowest. The league average was $41.19.

TEAM PRICE
1. Philadelphia $54.81
2. New Jersey $54.67
3. Vancouver $54.08
4. Boston $53.05
5. Minnesota $50.11
6. Toronto $49.23
7. Montreal $47.58
8. N.Y. Rangers $44.63
9. Tampa Bay $44.27
10. N.Y. Islanders $44.01
11. KINGS $43.82
12. Edmonton $43.46
13. Detroit $43.13
14. Atlanta $41.68
15. Columbus $41.62
16. Calgary $40.92
17. Ottawa $40.76
18. St. Louis $39.92
19. Colorado $38.48
20. Chicago $38.26
21. Washington $38.15
22. Nashville $37.33
23. Pittsburgh $36.61
24. Florida $34.31
25. Dallas $34.24
26. San Jose $33.00
27. DUCKS $30.32
28. Buffalo $29.73
29. Phoenix $27.37
30. Carolina $26.15

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/la-sp-tickets16jun16,1,7839324.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Guy Legend said:
It would be more interesting if it were accurate. Not a shot at you, but this looks like a very similar list to what has been published by sources like the Team Marketing Report's Fan Cost Index. As has been discussed before on these boards, they rely on information provided by the teams themselves, and in a few cases--Colorado being a notable example--the team reports a complete misrepresentation of an average ticket price based on contrived definitions of what should be included... presumably in an effort to make their building sound more affordable. (The source of the data was even confirmed with a phone call to the TMR.) Colorado's average ticket price is much, much higher than that $38 figure. This can be seen from a simple investigation of their own published ticket prices by price level, along with the use of some basic estimation and arithmetic skills. In short, these lists become worthless when looking at some teams.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Does this list account for the differences in the Canadian and US dollar?

What is an "average ticket price?"

The way to define it is to divide the total revenue from All tickets sold. The total attendence figure and divide by the actual attendence.
In most arenas the cheap tickets are sold out more often than the more expensive tickets. That is why you see big blocks of empty seats in the bottom of the arean through the season in some arenas like for the Islanders, Canes (some games), Devils etc. when it is very likely almost all of the cheap seats at the top of the arena are full.

Another intersting thing to know would be how many tickets are available in each Arena each game for....
Under $20
$20-40
$40-70
$70-100
$100+

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
I'll bet that Carolina's ticket average will come in much higher than #30 next season.

Lightning season ticket holders experienced a very large jump in ticket prices for next season. The only reason it didn't happen for 2005-06 was because they "froze" the prices at the end of 2004 for the next season due to then impending lockout. My season ticket increased 40% for next season. If I remember correctly the Lightning were about #20 on the average list for season 2003-2004 and now they have jumped to #9.

Witter

Jan 11, 2006
Long isle
The coliseums are more than 40 our lowest ticket is 30 or 35 the rest are 55 and up and 55 is for the upper bowl

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
It would be more interesting if it were accurate. Not a shot at you, but this looks like a very similar list to what has been published by sources like the Team Marketing Report's Fan Cost Index. As has been discussed before on these boards, they rely on information provided by the teams themselves, and in a few cases--Colorado being a notable example--the team reports a complete misrepresentation of an average ticket price based on contrived definitions of what should be included... presumably in an effort to make their building sound more affordable. (The source of the data was even confirmed with a phone call to the TMR.) Colorado's average ticket price is much, much higher than that $38 figure. This can be seen from a simple investigation of their own published ticket prices by price level, along with the use of some basic estimation and arithmetic skills. In short, these lists become worthless when looking at some teams.

Yup. I call BS on this list too. Exhibit A - the San Jose Sharks.

2005-06 San Jose Sharks Ticket Prices:
Location - non-STH price / STH price

VIP Club Glass - 115 / 105
Sideline Club - 96 / 88
End/Corner Club - 86 / 76
Premium Glass - 82 / 74
Premium Lower - 68 / 60
Lower Reserved - 57 / 49

Upper Rim (row 1) - 61 / 54
Upper Reserved (row 2-12 sides) - 40 / 35
Upper Reserved (row 2-12 end) - 33 / 29
Upper Reserved (row 13+ sides) - 27 / 24
Upper Reserved (row 13+ end) - 17 / 15

How you can get an alleged $33 Avg ticket price when about half the upper bowl and the entire lower bowl is more than $33 is beyond me.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
missK said:
I'll bet that Carolina's ticket average will come in much higher than #30 next season.

Lightning season ticket holders experienced a very large jump in ticket prices for next season. The only reason it didn't happen for 2005-06 was because they "froze" the prices at the end of 2004 for the next season due to then impending lockout. My season ticket increased 40% for next season. If I remember correctly the Lightning were about #20 on the average list for season 2003-2004 and now they have jumped to #9.

I'm not the least bit surprised that the cost of your season tix went up so steeply, and I agree that the same is likely to happen in Carolina. In fact, I'd be astounded if that didn't happen. Success is great, but it comes at a price -- literally as well as figuratively.

As for my Bruins, they've been charging exorbitant ticket prices for some time now, without giving the fans commensurate value (defined here as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender) in return. It's not hard to figure out why there were so many empty seats at The Arena Formerly Known as the Fleece Center, especially late in the season.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
kdb209 said:

Sideline Club - 96 / 88
Premium Glass - 82 / 74
Premium Lower - 68 / 60
Lower Reserved - 57 / 49

How you can get an alleged $33 Avg ticket price when about half the upper bowl and the entire lower bowl is more than $33 is beyond me.
The answer to your question is simply that some teams report whatever they want to these groups like TMR. Then they compile it all and publish it, and everyone takes it as the truth. If groups like TMR really want to be taken seriously, they need to actually do the work necessary to calculate these figures like average ticket price. In other words, find out the numbers of seats in each price level, do the multiplication/addition/division to get the true weighted average, and report the actual number. But they don't do that. And this is exactly what I was told when I asked the person in charge of the Fan Cost Index at TMR on the phone. And since some teams just report what amounts to marketing material, the lists are worthless.

braincramp

Mar 10, 2004
Considerations which may cause the real average price to be lower than the list price could simply be the prevalence of discounting plans, giveaways, bundled parking and food, etc. Unless you know how the average price was calculated, you can't really say that the reported price is wrong. Some venues (e.g., Staples Center) sell all-event seats, too, so it's conjecture to assume what the price of the hockey seat is. Point is, a simple examination of the list prices can't disprove the average prices quoted here.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
braincramp said:
Considerations which may cause the real average price to be lower than the list price could simply be the prevalence of discounting plans, giveaways, bundled parking and food, etc.
Well other than the STH discount (listed above) and group ticket purchases (about the same as the STH discount last time | organized a group buy of ~50 seats) the Sharks do not do discounting. They do not do "giveaways". Except for a small number (~4-5/season) of Family Pack games with a limited seat selection, the Sharks do not do bundling of food. The don't do any bundling of parking (but will sell VIP parking passes as a seperate item).

Approximately 13-14K of the 17K seats last season were STH plans according to a Sharks STH Rep.

Unless you know how the average price was calculated, you can't really say that the reported price is wrong. Some venues (e.g., Staples Center) sell all-event seats, too, so it's conjecture to assume what the price of the hockey seat is. Point is, a simple examination of the list prices can't disprove the average prices quoted here.

When ~75% of the seats are more than the quoted "average", and the bulk of those are 2x-3x+ that average, and the only seats that are less are the last 4 to 6 rows of the upper bowl - yes you can.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I am to lazy to do the research but I call BS on Toronto. It is much, much higher. I think the cheapest ticket is the average they are reporting above and platinums go for $225.00 per ticket. They also have 140 private boxes which go for much more.
The report appears to be very poorly done.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
The Leafs average ticket price is $49.23?

I can only assume their definition of "average" roughly corresponds to 'the cheapest price any ticket has ever sold for in the last decade'.

GSC2k2*

kdb209 said:
Well other than the STH discount (listed above) and group ticket purchases (about the same as the STH discount last time | organized a group buy of ~50 seats) the Sharks do not do discounting. They do not do "giveaways". Except for a small number (~4-5/season) of Family Pack games with a limited seat selection, the Sharks do not do bundling of food. The don't do any bundling of parking (but will sell VIP parking passes as a seperate item).

Approximately 13-14K of the 17K seats last season were STH plans according to a Sharks STH Rep.

When ~75% of the seats are more than the quoted "average", and the bulk of those are 2x-3x+ that average, and the only seats that are less are the last 4 to 6 rows of the upper bowl - yes you can.
EVERY team does giveaways, kdb. Even the mighty leafs give tickets to charities. They also give them to radio stations and other media outlets for promotional purposes. I am still dubious about the numbers, mind you, but let's not get carried away.

As well, players' wives and (sometimes) families get tickets. I have certainly heard of athletes in other sports getting tickets as part of their compensation. I am sure that used to be the case, although I think the new CBA has stamped that out except for traditional practices that have been expressly retained(wives, parents to first game, etc).

As for the Leafs, keep in mind that the quoted figures are in US$.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
gscarpenter2002 said:

On befalf of Rand (since I indicated a similiar statement in the message above his). With 43% of tickets priced at $68.00 or less that leaves 57% at $68.00 or much higher. Also the premium seats price does not include the mandatory membership into the Platinum Club which adds almost $50.00 per ticket per game. (I have Platinums). Also factor in that over 1,000 people attend each game in private suites at even more outrageous prices.
The point being the average ticket price for Toronto is much higher than the article states. (btw as a subscriber you have to pay the FULL amount for the entire season by August 1st or you lose your subscription).

GSC2k2*

Northern Dancer said:
On befalf of Rand (since I indicated a similiar statement in the message above his). With 43% of tickets priced at $68.00 or less that leaves 57% at $68.00 or much higher. Also the premium seats price does not include the mandatory membership into the Platinum Club which adds almost $50.00 per ticket per game. (I have Platinums). Also factor in that over 1,000 people attend each game in private suites at even more outrageous prices.
The point being the average ticket price for Toronto is much higher than the article states. (btw as a subscriber you have to pay the FULL amount for the entire season by August 1st or you lose your subscription).
Incidentally, since my last post, I reflected on the number of occasions when I have attended Leafs games as a guest in a corporate box. While I have not located a ticket anywhere (I have them somewhere in this house), if memory serves I think the ticket "price" was recorded as zero on the ticket. I suspect this is/was because boxes come with a certain number of tickets (i.e. platinum level boxes include 10 tickets).

As such, that would throw out the number as well.

Incidentally, my point in the post that you quoted as that ticket prices are a low of $35 in Toronto. Not $49 or whatever.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
kdb209 said:

Sideline Club - 96 / 88
Premium Glass - 82 / 74
Premium Lower - 68 / 60
Lower Reserved - 57 / 49

Was this information taken from the Sharks website? Because season ticket holders get discounts on their tickets. For instance, my ticket in the 3rd level for the Lightning this past season said $45.75 face value but I paid no where near that price as a season ticket holder. My price per game as a 13-year season ticket holder calculated to $12.25/game.

You can't say what a team is reporting is BS if you base it only on "face value" pricing, it's much more complicted than that. You would have to know the number of season tickets that are being sold and at what prices, plus figure in any special sales offers that might be available during the season (the Lightning have had a couple 50% sale days during the season) THEN you add the number of full price "face value" walk-up tickets. Since none of us as fans would have access to most of that information it's a moot point. Only the NHL/NHLPA would have access to these figures since they need to be reported for the new CBA.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
All of these arguments seem to be ignoring ColoradoHockeyFan's key point, so I'll reiterate it:

THE INDIVIDUAL TEAMS PROVIDE THE INFORMATION FOR THIS SURVEY.

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that the teams aren't acting to deceive anyone or cook the books. They still calculate "average" in dozens of different ways, making the collected numbers uncomparable.

This "survey" is nonsense unless a standardized approach is used.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
FanSince'05 said:
I was able to sit in $50 per seat tickets last year for $12.50 with the use of coupons.

How is that figured in to the accounting?

Which team?

Oedi

Dec 18, 2005
Richmond Hill, ON
If Leafs tickets are really that "cheap" in US figures, I'm wondering why more people are not complaining about the prices going into the hundreds, how its unaffordable or how some people would give their left arm to see a game because its so expensive/hard to get. But thats just me and what i've heard anyways.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
missK said:
Was this information taken from the Sharks website? Because season ticket holders get discounts on their tickets. For instance, my ticket in the 3rd level for the Lightning this past season said $45.75 face value but I paid no where near that price as a season ticket holder. My price per game as a 13-year season ticket holder calculated to $12.25/game.

You can't say what a team is reporting is BS if you base it only on "face value" pricing, it's much more complicted than that. You would have to know the number of season tickets that are being sold and at what prices, plus figure in any special sales offers that might be available during the season (the Lightning have had a couple 50% sale days during the season) THEN you add the number of full price "face value" walk-up tickets. Since none of us as fans would have access to most of that information it's a moot point. Only the NHL/NHLPA would have access to these figures since they need to be reported for the new CBA.

The numbers come from the Sharks Season Ticket package. I'm a Sharks STH and am well aware of the STH vs non-STH prices.

If you read my post you would have seen that I quote both the Season Ticket Holder price (w/discount) and the face value (non-STH price). The STH discount is nowhere near the ~70% discount you have. The STH discount ranges from $2/ticket for the cheapest seats up to $10/ticket on the glass.

As for the number of season tickets. From conversations with my STH rep, the number of STH package seats is between 13K and 14K (out of 17K seats). The Sharks used to cap the number of STH seats at ~14K to allow for some number of individual game sales and there used to be a STH waiting list. After the debacle of 2002-03, the waiting list and cap are gone, but the number of STH seats is still in the 13K-14K range.

And I'm still calling BS on the $33 avg number. It's simple math. With the entire lower bowl at $49-115 and the bulk of the upper bowl at or above $33, and the only seats below the average are the last 4-to-6 rows, it is impossible to get a $33 average.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
TheMoose said:
Good luck getting a ticket in Toronto for that price!

I pay $35 each for mine and as someone pointed out that you need to pay in full by a certain date thats no longer the case. Quarterly payments are now made though out the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad