Prospect Info: Aves select Oskar Olausson 28th overall

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
There is no chance to give him a few games till his OHL season is complete right? Would be nice to see if he could be worth a play in the playoffs as an extra weapon with his shot.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
His production in Oshawa is pretty shit. What's going on?

After a strong start his production in general has slowed down. He's actually just at a p/g now for the season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
His production in Oshawa is pretty shit. What's going on?

After a strong start his production in general has slowed down. He's actually just at a p/g now for the season.
He's an incomplete player that is enigmatic. Put to an Avs comparable... he's a lot like Burkie in many ways. Extremely talented and extremely frustrating.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope people didn't think he was already a gigantic steal in the draft. Players with talent like his usually fall for some reason or another. If he didn't have a red flag or two he'd have been taken a lot sooner. We'll see if he figures it out.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I hope people didn't think he was already a gigantic steal in the draft. Players with talent like his usually fall for some reason or another. If he didn't have a red flag or two he'd have been taken a lot sooner. We'll see if he figures it out.

Also, another red flag was that he was picked by the same scouting staff that hasn’t made a relevant pick past the 1st round lottery in close to a decade.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, another red flag was that he was picked by the same scouting staff that hasn’t made a relevant pick past the 1st round lottery in close to a decade.

I'll withhold judgment for now. Waaaaaaaaaaay too early at this point.

This, along with the Behrens selection, was touted by many as a smart pick. The Avs' scouting staff has made some egregious mistakes and I've been one of many people saying they needed to do more post-Pracey than just swap out the top scout, but this last draft didn't look so bad to me.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
OO is still very young. Burky is already what he is, the streaky player we all know, and he's not going to put it all together at his age. I'm giving OO some time to figure it all out, as a 19 year old he has plenty of time to have his faults coached out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Olausson is enigmatic and he's gonna run hot and cold with just how raw he is. Stat watchers hate hearing this, but on bad junior teams, it is much easier to put up better stats than on good junior teams. Reason being is the ice time and roles are there more on bad teams. In Barrie, Olausson was playing a ton (likely over 20 minutes a game) and had prime opportunities. With Oshawa he's in a 3rd line role and 2PP.

IMO Olausson has legit NHL talent and top 6 upside... he's just going to take a while to round out his game (if it happens). He's a bit of a risk and you're betting on maturity and experience rounding off his sharp corners. He wouldn't have been my pick at 28, but he was picked in an appropriate range for his talent level.

All of that said, it takes more than a great shot to make the NHL. If that is all it took Frk would have 700 games in the league.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
All of that said, it takes more than a great shot to make the NHL.

michael-scott.png

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Geez!! This f***ing board. Kid struggling in a new team, playing with new teammates, new environment etc. He is a steal and will do well. Played well in the preseason against men. Kid will be fine

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Geez!! This f***ing board. Kid struggling in a new team, playing with new teammates, new environment etc. He is a steal and will do well. Played well in the preseason against men. Kid will be fine

Why is he a steal? Just like Jost was suppose to be the next Toews?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Too early to say he's a bust or a steal. Given his relative talent/potential and the position of the pick, it's a good gamble. I personally always want a team to draft for talent and potential rather than a low-ceiling type who projects as a "safe" pick. If he ends up being a decent 2nd liner who puts up points at a regular pace, that's really good value (still not a "steal" though).

I mean it's his first season in North America. We all need to chill a bit. He came roaring out of the gate on a lousy team and now has come back to Earth where he's not being asked to do as much. Meh, it's fine.

I am obviously no expert on prospects but even I know that in juniors, kids can hit dry spells for extended periods.

Reactions: jabubenice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad