GDT: Aves @ Queens | 6pm MT | Sending out an S.O.S.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
When you make combined over 22 million dollars you bet your ass you're going to be blamed if you're not performing or not putting in the required effort.

No excuses for those 2.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Thr problem with Johansen is, well there's two problems I would say:

1. He wasn't brought in for the regular season. He was brought in for his playoff performance and that's what he's going to be judged on most by our management. Which means almost 100% they aren't going to pivot and go in a different direction this season with him. He will get a chance to show what he can bring for us in the playoffs in April.

2. The cost to dump him. Right now at $4M for this year and next year, you're talking a 1st round pick to dump him. Maybe a 2nd would get it done, but we don't have a 2nd until 2026. So it would take a 1st. Avs so far have shown an extreme reluctance to dump bad contracts outright.

I would love to be wrong on this and see the Avs go get a legit 2C, as I have long maintained that the 2C spot is the one area on this roster preventing us from being a top tier cup favorite again.

But I really don't see it happening. They will sink or swim(Very likely sink) with RyJo and then re-evaluate in the summer.

The only thing I can see them doing is maybe grabbing another Top 9 winger to add to the fold. But even then, I bet they only do that if Landy won't be back in time for the playoffs and/or uncertainty around Kovalenko.

And again, where I would like to see them get a legit Top 6 winger, they probably end up getting more of a middle 6/3rd liner type.

They could conceivably add Henrique at the TDL. They don’t really have much on the roster who can play C ICE, unless you think they’d force Rantanen to play there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One one hand, the best players deserve scorn for their effort. On the other hand, they played 60+ minutes in less than 26 hours. On the third hand, we know Rants is lazy and should probably just accept it... gonna be nights where he drives you up the wall.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Re-watching the cup run, and it's crazy apparent how much Landy is missed. Even just outside of the leadership he did so many little things in the game.
Agreed.

I feel like the team was playing with a chip on its shoulder too though. That whole year and even years prior leading into the cup run, the whole team was just playing with more passion. Last year, not having Landy, lack of depth and the injuries slowed that down but you could still see the fire was there. This year though, the body language alone can tell a story. Even when we win, just doesn’t feel the same. 2022 really was a special year.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The top line looked absolutely gassed last night. IMO the ice time has caught up to them. Nuke was really slow last night. Mack almost lost this game all by himself.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
29 and 96 are being blamed because they are the Avs best players and not playing that way. They are playing dumb and stupid and their efforts are lackadaisical.

A couple games back Colton was on fire. Johansen - the JTCompher of the Avs according to this board - had a really nice game. 1st star in fact. Even Drouin scored and frankly, he is skating well right now.

Sorry but in this league your best players have to be your best players. Makar is the only one who has performed as per expectations. His loss showed last night as the Kings consistently outmanned and out positioned the Avs D on the forecheck eventually overwhelming Jones, beating Manson physically by attaining inside positioning and gave Bo all he could handle in terms of puck possession and control.

Yeah, I'd like to see a stronger 2nd line too. Kadri would have been more happy and successful here if he stayed. It might have been possible and I blame Johnson for not retiring after the Cup year.
Love the cherry picked stats. Let's use the one game where RyJo and Drouin looked passable and call it the the norm...2nd line is the worst in the league hands down.

3rd and 4th lines have been fine but they aren't supposed to be big offensive drivers. But the 2nd line all year has been shit.

Look at the NYR one of the best in the league for example they have 7 guys pacing at 50pts plus. And another 2 in the 40ish range.

The Avs have 4 guys pacing over 50 pts our 1st line and Makar. Then 2 guys in 40 range Toews and Colton. I'm not counting Lehk because who knows what his status is or if he'll be the same after a neck injury.

That's a big difference. 29 and 96 more than Nuke helping them out.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Love the cherry picked stats. Let's use the one game where RyJo and Drouin looked passable and call it the the norm...2nd line is the worst in the league hands down.

3rd and 4th lines have been fine but they aren't supposed to be big offensive drivers. But the 2nd line all year has been shit.

Look at the NYR one of the best in the league for example they have 7 guys pacing at 50pts plus. And another 2 in the 40ish range.

The Avs have 4 guys pacing over 50 pts our 1st line and Makar. Then 2 guys in 40 range Toews and Colton. I'm not counting Lehk because who knows what his status is or if he'll be the same after a neck injury.

That's a big difference. 29 and 96 more than Nuke helping them out.
You totally dismissed the 2nd line? All I really voiced is that the 2nd line has had some decent games.

I don't need no stinking stats to tell me who is playing well and has their game on versus who doesn't. I trust my eyes and power of observation.

It's a testament to 29 and 96's talent that they manage to how up statistically in the scoring column even when their game overall is garbage.

And there's no denying neither are playing at their peak performance level.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Cute of you to list his seasons where 7 of the 11 he has been a backup goalie.

And yes, the Kings are Pacific Division fodder. Until you get a real goalie (Cam Talbot isn't a real starting goalie), you'll continue to lose in the divisional round(s).
You may be right - won't know til we get there. I think people are more worried about a Talbot injury vs. his performance. He's been very solid.

You guys have a great team - when healthy and firing on all cylinders it is a very difficult matchup.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This felt like an auto loss for a lot of reasons, but Nate has to stop dogging back checks because he's barking at the ref. The one he was upset about wasn't even a penalty.

I feel like there's been 5+ goals in his career that have come off him starring back at the ref while his man goes down ice and scores.

Without Landy and EJ this year, the Avs need Nate to step up and be a leader for this team. He doesn't have to be vocal, but he has to set the example for the rest of the team with the way he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad