GDT: Avalanche vs Wild @7:00PM MST 03/08/24 (Emergency Post TDL GDT) New players, new Avs?

What do we call him?

• Total voters

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Too many beers? He was not great on faceoffs and had some obvious BBH (bad buffalo habits) but setup a couple of guys that could have been goals with nifty passes - one specifically to Trenin that became a sort of north-south one-timer setup) and had 2 really good scoring chances himself. Did you miss those?

I loved his back check on the 2-on-1 - that was impressive.

All in all, for his first game I thought he stood out in a good way especially considering the 2 glorious scoring chances he had and the other few he setup. Anyone expecting him to start dominating games like Mack is certainly going to be disappointed... That's not his game.

Being able to roll out a real 2nd line and give them good minutes is going to be awesome.

I'd rather just call him Boomba for short.
Mitts plays east west hockey on a north south type team. That’s probably a good thing. Will open up passing lanes we otherwise don’t typically utilize. We’re more of a drive into the Ozone at full speed, push them back deep and drop pass type attack.

Whereas Mitt’s stops the puck and frequently retreats or goes sideways looking for open ice. It’s very atypical for the Avs and Bednar hockey. But it’s also the way guys like Gretsky and Jack Hughes play the sport. They seek and find negative space. Or the half space for you soccer types.

It would be an interesting stylistic fit with Rants. He’d be good slowing it down and playing patient hockey. Also a better PP style than our predictable PP.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why did the Wild go long on Hartman and Foligno? That would be like the Avs giving the unimpressive Colton another 4 year deal when his current one is up.

Krill is definitely going to bounce to a Florida or NYR type team in three years. One huge step back as all their young talent joins the big club.

Kovalenko’s KHL career will end in about 25 minutes. Kiviranta can follow Oloffson down to Loveland.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Overreact much?
The idiot Byram haters in our fan base were slobbering over Walker as he played a rather uninspired first game. Their reaction was very predictable. So it created an ideal opportunity to clap back at the intolerable tools in our fan base. I think Rants may be in line for their ire now that Bo is gone. Or they’ll go back to Girard bashing. God help Ritchie when he comes up. He’ll be Newhook level hated by game 5.

Walker looked like an adequate number 5 to me honestly. I’m surprised his analytics were so poor because he had a few nice plays too. His pace is quite nice. His size a bit underwhelming.

Getting rid of the massive summer mistake our GM made on RyJo was costly but necessary. I’m fine with our deadline. Loved the Trenin trade. Parise makes a difference too. Can they resign Mitts to a Toews type 4 year deal below $6mm per? Let’s hope so.

Avs sent Byram out of town the day they resigned Toews. I figured it would happen in July 2024. Our GMs very bad mistake on RyJo sped that up.

I understand what has happened. Our GM had a bad summer in 2023. Nailed the draft, got lucky with Drouin but his moves on Colton, Wood and RyJo…. All a bit regrettable. RyJo majorly so. Cost us a 2025 1st.

Keeping the 2024 1st tells me we’ll go back to reaching for need vs BPA. This is a D heavy draft and not a particularly good draft either. We will draft a big RHD type. Regardless of if he’s deserving of that spot or not. It’s why we usually suck at the draft.

Last edited:

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Mate. I’m simply turning the tables on the unrelenting tools that were always bitching at Byram, Girard or Graves.

Walker had a crappy statistical game tonight. Whatever. He looked like a solid bottom pair to me honestly. I’m actually surprised his stats were the worst. Makar was the guy making the worst reads all night.
You are right. There ARE a lot of people here who just bitch. It IS tiring. Can't imagine: 1. Getting so worked up over the minutiae of a hockey team, like it's personal. Like they do what they do just to piss YOU off. 2. Being so miserable that all you are is negative. Sucks to be you. You know who you are. I am no Pollyanna (THAT'S tiring too) but the constant fault finding makes me worry about your mental health and those around you. 3. The pack mentality of the bitching. And I thought Blues fans were bad.

Whew, not sure I feel better or not.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
You are right. There ARE a lot of people here who just bitch. It IS tiring. Can't imagine: 1. Getting so worked up over the minutiae of a hockey team, like it's personal. Like they do what they do just to piss YOU off. 2. Being so miserable that all you are is negative. Sucks to be you. You know who you are. I am no Pollyanna (THAT'S tiring too) but the constant fault finding makes me worry about your mental health and those around you. 3. The pack mentality of the bitching. And I thought Blues fans were bad.

Whew, not sure I feel better or not.
you will for now until we lose in the 2nd round lol

Landy probably doesn't make it back or last and anyone counting on Kovalenko probably shouldn't as Bednar doesn't like.young players and he's never played over here before.

The roster got filled with a mediocre 2 and a bunch of 4 line.players. Call
me.skeptical.but I'm not confident in this bunch

• Haha
Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The idiot Byram haters in our fan base were slobbering over Walker as he played a rather uninspired first game. Their reaction was very predictable. So it created an ideal opportunity to clap back at the intolerable tools in our fan base. I think Rants may be in line for their ire now that Bo is gone. Or they’ll go back to Girard bashing. God help Ritchie when he comes up. He’ll be Newhook level hated by game 5.

Walker looked like an adequate number 5 to me honestly. I’m surprised his analytics were so poor because he had a few nice plays too. His pace is quite nice. His size a bit underwhelming.

Getting rid of the massive summer mistake our GM made on RyJo was costly but necessary. I’m fine with our deadline. Loved the Trenin trade. Parise makes a difference too. Can they resign Mitts to a Toews type 4 year deal below $6mm per? Let’s hope so.

Avs sent Byram out of town the day they resigned Toews. I figured it would happen in July 2024. Our GMs very bad mistake on RyJo sped that up.

I understand what has happened. Our GM had a bad summer in 2023. Nailed the draft, got lucky with Drouin but his moves on Colton, Wood and RyJo…. All a bit regrettable. RyJo majorly so. Cost us a 2025 1st.

Keeping the 2024 1st tells me we’ll go back to reaching for need vs BPA. This is a D heavy draft and not a particularly good draft either. We will draft a big RHD type. Regardless of if he’s deserving of that spot or not. It’s why we usually suck at the draft.

I miss the days when you only posted on the trade boards.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Mike Gulyayev just advanced to the 2nd round of the KHL playoffs. Kid is playing over 17 minutes a night in the playoffs for his squad. He is stapled to their 2nd pair. Excellent development opportunity for the 18 year old.

By way of reference. The 6th overall pick in the 2023 draft plays about 10 minutes a game for his playoff team. The 12th pick plays about 4 minutes. Both are bottom line or pair bottom of roster guys.
Dang. Promising picks. Ritchie and Gulya.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I thought George was fantastic last night. Have to give him credit when he plays like that after how critical we are of him.
With the rumors of TDL involving a goalie, this was game was a response . He could have been adversely impact and laid an egg or he could have been ready to shine knowing its his net for the rest of year. This was the response we all wanted to see.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
With the rumors of TDL involving a goalie, this was game was a response . He could have been adversely impact and laid an egg or he could have been ready to shine knowing its his net for the rest of year. This was the response we all wanted to see.

True. He was excellent. The best game in a while. Very nice to see, because he is our weak spot now.. he responded perfectly though

twostroke2023

Dec 15, 2023

My hope is that walked becomes more settled as he gets used to the system. A lot of these new guys are gonna look a little out of sync for 4 or 5 games.

I don’t get the byram haters either. Kids lost a lot of development time. I fully expect a fresh start and not playing behind makar/towes to put him back on track. I still think we lose that trade long term, but I get the need to do it as well for the reasons you listed (fixing mistakes/filling the hole since Kadri left), getting rid of Ryjo.

That being said, I’m ecstatic that they parlayed the mistakes they made and what the had into a pretty damn good team.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My hope is that walked becomes more settled as he gets used to the system. A lot of these new guys are gonna look a little out of sync for 4 or 5 games.

I don’t get the byram haters either. Kids lost a lot of development time. I fully expect a fresh start and not playing behind makar/towes to put him back on track. I still think we lose that trade long term, but I get the need to do it as well for the reasons you listed (fixing mistakes/filling the hole since Kadri left), getting rid of Ryjo.

That being said, I’m ecstatic that they parlayed the mistakes they made and what the had into a pretty damn good team.
Walker making forehand breakout passes as a RHD on the right side of the ice was… roster configuration correct. Playing Byram off hand with scrubs like JJ and RyJo wasn’t good roster configuration.

We are better configurated post TDL. Very much better configured. I think we’ll kill Dallas in round 1.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why did the Wild go long on Hartman and Foligno? That would be like the Avs giving the unimpressive Colton another 4 year deal when his current one is up.

Krill is definitely going to bounce to a Florida or NYR type team in three years. One huge step back as all their young talent joins the big club.

Kovalenko’s KHL career will end in about 25 minutes. Kiviranta can follow Oloffson down to Loveland.
Which will be a big help for the Eagles. Meyers is a big loss for them, I still want them to get the Calder cup!

• Love
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It has been one game, and we are already declaring the deadline as a failure?

Ok then
We are accustomed to highest of standards here. We needed a hat trick from Mitts, 3 points from Walker and plus 3, Duhaime needed a Gordie Howe hat trick, and 2 short handed goals from Trenin.

I mean I don’t know about you, but I was expecting all of that and very disappointed now. I think CMac screwed up again

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Maybe thats a reason to bring someone in though? Perform or be replaced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad