GDT: Avalanche vs Stars, Round 2, Game 6, 5/17/24 @8:00PM MNT: I don't wanna golf yet!

Oh I don't know, which one is better?

• Total voters

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That team was shit. It took Billy-f***-face-iton getting hot for them to win the cup. They used their size to bully everyone. They had a coach that knew how to get what he needed out of them.
Go look at Binnington's playoff numbers. They weren't exactly close to his regular season numbers.

Again, find me a coach that doesn't need a great team to win.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah but again, what can you do with Val’s contract ? If he completes the program, he’s gonna be added to the roster. Landy is not the same, he either gets healthy and plays, or we can keep him on LTIR.

I’m kind of hoping Val just says f*** it and goes back to Russia to play in the KHL

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I was angry last year when they lost to Seattle. Almost entirely at our management for doing f*** all and wasting a prime contender year and the chance to go B2B.

Not angry at all this year. Probably because most of that anger was spent before Game 4 when the Nichushkin news broke. I said it 4 days ago that the moment that news dropped, our season ended essentially. Val was simply way too important of a player for this team to overcome his loss at this stage of the year.

They gave a hell of an effort to try and battle back, but without Val Dallas was simply a better team.

Now I'm just ready to resolve the Val situation, get our Captain back, and find out just how big of an impact his presence will have on this group next year.
Yeah hard to be mad tonight for me. CMac stepped up to the plate at the deadline, and the team did battle back and almost a game 7. Just a bad systemic matchup and without Nuke it makes it even harder. I'm just mad at Nuke is all now

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Yeah but again, what can you do with Val’s contract ? If he completes the program, he’s gonna be added to the roster. Landy is not the same, he either gets healthy and plays, or we can keep him on LTIR.
I have no idea. Pay through the nose for Utah to take him? Try to convince him into a mutual contract termination..... That probably won't happen. No reason for him to throw away all that money. Leave Coke and Hookers all over the locker room so he gets suspended indefinitely, maybe?

Go look at Binnington's playoff numbers. They weren't exactly close to his regular season numbers.

Again, find me a coach that doesn't need a great team to win.
Let me flip this another way, look at the Blues team. What was it that turned their season around and won them that cup? Hiring the right coach.

I don't believe Bednar is that guy for us anymore.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We all knew Avs had to have a perfect storm type of post season to win the cup (all healthy, all playing well). Avs don't have the depth to afford missing top six forwards. The hole resonates down the lineup.

So that's why it's hard to be upset. It wasn't a perfect storm. Closer to a perfect shit storm.

Dallas are a deep and well structured team. The kind of team Avs always struggle with.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have no idea. Pay through the nose for Utah to take him? Try to convince him into a mutual contract termination..... That probably won't happen. No reason for him to throw away all that money. Leave Coke and Hookers all over the locker room so he gets suspended indefinitely, maybe?

Let me flip this another way, look at the Blues team. What was it that turned their season around and won them that cup? Hiring the right coach.

I don't believe Bednar is that guy for us anymore.
So who would that guy be, then? Because this roster outside of a couple players is designed for Jared Bednar.

Coaching options out there aren't exactly enticing.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
1716017002917.png

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I’m kind of hoping Val just says f*** it and goes back to Russia to play in the KHL
Be ruthless. They must have dirt in him. Tell him they'll spill it all unless he plays ball and stays in the rehab program until the playoffs.

If he can stay clean great. They add a top line guy and get to be over the cap. If he can't stay clean they're no worse off. Then they can put him in level 4 which is indefinite.

Reactions: Alienblood
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
We all knew Avs had to have a perfect storm type of post season to win the cup (all healthy, all playing well). Avs don't have the depth to afford missing top six forwards. The hole resonates down the lineup.

So that's why it's hard to be upset. It wasn't a perfect storm. Closer to a perfect shit storm.

Dallas are a deep and well structured team. The kind of team Avs always struggle with.

I’m honestly more just jealous of Dallas than anything. Can you imagine the Avs with Wyatt Johnston and/or Stankoven? Instead we get to watch guys like Kaut and Olausson struggle to even look like AHLers

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I thought dallas winning would squelch the whining about the gi goal but it seems dallas fans are still talking about it.
That’s because they’re insecure whiny bitches. That’s what this series showed me. They whine about everything. If they were a Canadian market we’d be hearing a lot more about it

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I’m honestly more just jealous of Dallas than anything. Can you imagine the Avs with Wyatt Johnston and/or Stankoven? Instead we get to watch guys like Kaut and Olausson struggle to even look like AHLers
We never had a chance at Johnston but the real losers are the Edmonton Oilers, who not only traded down passing on Jesper Wallstedt but willingly chose Xavier Bourgault 1 pick ahead even after Paul Coffey personally recommended them taking Johnston.

Imagine that guy on the Oilers right now.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
We never had a chance at Johnston but the real losers are the Edmonton Oilers, who not only traded down passing on Jesper Wallstedt but willingly chose Xavier Bourgault 1 pick ahead even after Paul Coffey personally recommended them taking Johnston.

Imagine that guy on the Oilers right now.

The Avs willingness to just stay pat at the draft drives me insane. There’s been multiple times where great players were clearly available but they were comfortable drafting their next bust

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So who would that guy be, then? Because this roster outside of a couple players is designed for Jared Bednar.

Coaching options out there aren't exactly enticing.
But if Bednar isn't the guy what's the point? I don't think we'll see eye to eye on this.

I've lost faith in Bednar. I feel he can't help but overwork our superstars, he fails to make the necessary in game adjustments, refuses to get new assistant coaches, and builds bad line combos. To me that a recipe of failure unless to have an extremely deep roster like the 22 team.

I will admit I have no idea who to replace him with. No one comes to mind, but I would like a more balanced coach that has a little more structure in the defensive end.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
But if Bednar isn't the guy what's the point? I don't think we'll see eye to eye on this.

I've lost faith in Bednar. I feel he can't help but overwork our superstars, he fails to make the necessary in game adjustments, refuses to get new assistant coaches, and builds bad line combos. To me that a recipe of failure unless to have an extremely deep roster like the 22 team.

I will admit I have no idea who to replace him with. No one comes to mind, but I would like a more balanced coach that has a little more structure in the defensive end.

Bednar works himself into a negative feedback loop. He only trusts the superstars so he plays them a ton and doesn’t let other players establish trust, so then he doesn’t trust them so he has to play the superstars, rinse and repeat infinitely.

I personally think Mitts still has significant room to improve, but I don’t know if Bednar will ever put him in a position to succeed

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

How can you say he doesn't make in-game adjustments when the team literally had the most comeback wins during the regular season?

If anything that tells me the message got a bit stale to start games but things clicked later on with the players.

If you're going to make any changes, you change the assistants first. Bednar is a damn good coach. The grass isn't always greener. We dealt with shit coach after shit coach when Q left, even before Q.

These guys are rare. You don't toss em to the curb because your captain has been gone for 2 years and star power forward decided he liked cocaine more than NHL salary.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Bednar works himself into a negative feedback loop. He only trusts the superstars so he plays them a ton and doesn’t let other players establish trust, so then he doesn’t trust them so he has to play the superstars, rinse and repeat infinitely.

I personally think Mitts still has significant room to improve, but I don’t know if Bednar will ever put him in a position to succeed
I thought it was insane that in OT they put out Mikko - MacK - Praise. Mitts absolutely should have been the guy there if you're stacking a line. I also don't know how Praise got the nod over JD and Lehky.

Reactions: SoundwaveIsCharisma

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Tip of the cap to Georgie tonight. He deserved better

Dallas is pretty lucky to get so much production from 2 ELCs.... Or its great scouting but whatever. They get one more year of that luxury before those guys get paid.

Oh, and F' DeBoer. That is all I have. Now time to sleep

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
How can you say he doesn't make in-game adjustments when the team literally had the most comeback wins during the regular season?

If anything that tells me the message got a bit stale to start games but things clicked later on with the players.

If you're going to make any changes, you change the assistants first. Bednar is a damn good coach. The grass isn't always greener. We dealt with shit coach after shit coach when Q left, even before Q.

These guys are rare. You don't toss em to the curb because your captain has been gone for 2 years and star power forward decided he liked cocaine more than NHL salary.
The Avs absolutely have a different more aggressive style when they're down. But I wouldn't call that a in game adjustment. Just a shift in the system that the player know they need to do when trailing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs absolutely have a different more aggressive style when they're down. But I wouldn't call that a in game adjustment. Just a shift in the system that the player know they need to do when trailing.
When the other team is turtling the Avs have all the space to do what they want to do. That's the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad