GDT: Avalanche vs Stars, Round 2, Game 6, 5/17/24 @8:00PM MNT: I don't wanna golf yet!

Oh I don't know, which one is better?

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly glad we don't have to deal with that GI conversation for even another two days. Dallas was clearly better and Avs would not have been able to overcome the loss of Nichushkin. I really missed LOC too, Cogs just did not have it.
I dunno Cogs just seemed just fine to me tonight. Killed penalties, forechecked well in the attacking zone, and even blocked a crucial shot.

I’m quite angry at the third pairing, I thought they played that Benn goal horribly. But then again the Avs had no shot at winning this one 1-0.

In the end, the second Nichushkin gut-punch in as many years followed by a no-show performance in game 4 did these guys in. The total disappearance of the power play in those three consecutive losses looms large.

I just feel like the Avs looked tired throughout this series. The lack of depth in the regular season, injuries, and goaltending struggles really made for a loooooooong year. It caught up to them IMHO.

Offseason begins now.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
He's not anything. He's Chat GPT in a suit.
I asked ChatGPT to come up with a game plan. You can compare.

As the coach of the Colorado Avalanche, it's crucial to address both the physical and mental aspects of our game heading into this second overtime period. Here's the game plan:

1. Immediate Focus and Motivation

• Brief Team Huddle: Gather the players for a quick, high-energy huddle. Remind them of what’s at stake and the importance of this moment. Focus on the pride of wearing the Avalanche jersey and the opportunity to extend the series.
  • Positive Reinforcement: Highlight any positive plays from the game to boost morale. Remind them that it's just one goal that can turn this game around in our favor.

2. Energy Management

• Short Shifts: Emphasize the importance of short, intense shifts. Players should be on the ice for 30-40 seconds max. This will help maintain high energy levels and reduce the risk of mistakes due to fatigue.
  • Hydration and Nutrition: Ensure players are staying hydrated and consuming quick energy snacks during breaks.

3. Defensive Discipline

• Stay Tight: Stress the importance of playing a tight defensive game. Avoid giving Dallas any odd-man rushes or breakaways. Stick to our defensive structure and make smart, simple plays out of the zone.
  • Clear the Crease: Ensure our defensemen are vigilant about clearing rebounds and protecting the front of our net. No easy shots or second chances for Dallas.

4. Offensive Strategy

• Simplify the Offense: Focus on getting pucks deep and putting pressure on their defense. Simplify the game – get shots on net and crash for rebounds.
  • Traffic in Front: Instruct forwards to create traffic in front of the Dallas goaltender. Make it difficult for him to see shots coming from the point.
  • Use Fresh Legs: Utilize fresher players more often if they’ve had less ice time during regulation. Their energy could be crucial.

5. Special Teams Preparedness

• Stay Out of the Box: Emphasize the importance of discipline to avoid penalties. We can't afford to give Dallas a power play in overtime.
  • Be Ready for Opportunities: If we get a power play, focus on quick puck movement and getting shots through traffic. Be ready to capitalize on any mistakes they make.

6. Leadership and Communication

• Captain’s Role: Have our captain or alternate captains lead by example on the ice and on the bench. Their energy and effort can be contagious.
  • Communication: Ensure constant communication on the ice. Clear and decisive communication can prevent mistakes and missed assignments.

7. Goaltending Support

• Support Our Goalie: Remind the team that our goaltender has kept us in the game. Play solid defense in front of him and be ready to support any rebound attempts.

8. Mental Resilience

• Focus on the Process: Encourage players to focus on the process, not the outcome. Take it shift by shift, win small battles, and build momentum.
  • Stay Positive: Keep the bench positive and upbeat. Avoid any negative talk or body language.

Execution:​

• Line Adjustments: If necessary, tweak the lines to ensure the most effective matchups and keep players who are performing well on the ice more frequently.
  • Coaching Adjustments: Be ready to call a timeout if we get hemmed in or need to settle the team down.
By focusing on these areas, we can maximize our chances of finding that crucial goal and extending the series. Stay calm, stay focused, and give everything you have for one more period. Let's get this done, Avalanche!

Reactions: wayninja

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's paid like an above average 3C, and he's not. In fact he loses most matchups against most other teams 3rd line, not just Dallas.
4m is pretty average for a 3C. Above average is Gourde. Colton was an xGF% of over 53% on the season. You’re just wrong here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t think Colton is very good… he’s an average 3C and paid like it. Going against Johnston/Seguin/Duchene… is just not in his ability.
My problem with Colton is he doesn't win faceoffs, he doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't play PP (due to our top unit playing it all), and he can't ever be asked to take a defensive matchup because he'll get slaughtered.

So what's he good for? Occasional physicality?

I would love if they found a way to shed his salary this offseason. I don't like that contract one bit.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Colton Wood make 6.5 million for a lot of years. They need to be a good third line that can play physical.

It’s a number of factors. Wood and Colton don’t have the puckhandling abilities to play the way the Avs want them to play. Rantanen has 10000000000% committed to never moving his feet. Nuke can’t stay clean, and there’s the ongoing mystery of whether Landy ever plays again.

It really feels like they need to do a hard reset. Keep MacK and Makar and then move whatever pieces you need to build a cohesive team

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think a lot of people on here got convinced that Colton was a skilled two way guy that could tilt the ice as a 3C but turns out he's just another skate fast plug for our bottom 6.
He’s a pure north south guy who has a good shot. And yeah he’s not Gourde… he’s an average 3C.

Reactions: GeoRox89

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I asked ChatGPT to come up with a game plan. You can compare.

As the coach of the Colorado Avalanche, it's crucial to address both the physical and mental aspects of our game heading into this second overtime period. Here's the game plan:

1. Immediate Focus and Motivation

• Brief Team Huddle: Gather the players for a quick, high-energy huddle. Remind them of what’s at stake and the importance of this moment. Focus on the pride of wearing the Avalanche jersey and the opportunity to extend the series.
  • Positive Reinforcement: Highlight any positive plays from the game to boost morale. Remind them that it's just one goal that can turn this game around in our favor.

2. Energy Management

• Short Shifts: Emphasize the importance of short, intense shifts. Players should be on the ice for 30-40 seconds max. This will help maintain high energy levels and reduce the risk of mistakes due to fatigue.
  • Hydration and Nutrition: Ensure players are staying hydrated and consuming quick energy snacks during breaks.

3. Defensive Discipline

• Stay Tight: Stress the importance of playing a tight defensive game. Avoid giving Dallas any odd-man rushes or breakaways. Stick to our defensive structure and make smart, simple plays out of the zone.
  • Clear the Crease: Ensure our defensemen are vigilant about clearing rebounds and protecting the front of our net. No easy shots or second chances for Dallas.

4. Offensive Strategy

• Simplify the Offense: Focus on getting pucks deep and putting pressure on their defense. Simplify the game – get shots on net and crash for rebounds.
  • Traffic in Front: Instruct forwards to create traffic in front of the Dallas goaltender. Make it difficult for him to see shots coming from the point.
  • Use Fresh Legs: Utilize fresher players more often if they’ve had less ice time during regulation. Their energy could be crucial.

5. Special Teams Preparedness

• Stay Out of the Box: Emphasize the importance of discipline to avoid penalties. We can't afford to give Dallas a power play in overtime.
  • Be Ready for Opportunities: If we get a power play, focus on quick puck movement and getting shots through traffic. Be ready to capitalize on any mistakes they make.

6. Leadership and Communication

• Captain’s Role: Have our captain or alternate captains lead by example on the ice and on the bench. Their energy and effort can be contagious.
  • Communication: Ensure constant communication on the ice. Clear and decisive communication can prevent mistakes and missed assignments.

7. Goaltending Support

• Support Our Goalie: Remind the team that our goaltender has kept us in the game. Play solid defense in front of him and be ready to support any rebound attempts.

8. Mental Resilience

• Focus on the Process: Encourage players to focus on the process, not the outcome. Take it shift by shift, win small battles, and build momentum.
  • Stay Positive: Keep the bench positive and upbeat. Avoid any negative talk or body language.

Execution:​

• Line Adjustments: If necessary, tweak the lines to ensure the most effective matchups and keep players who are performing well on the ice more frequently.
  • Coaching Adjustments: Be ready to call a timeout if we get hemmed in or need to settle the team down.
By focusing on these areas, we can maximize our chances of finding that crucial goal and extending the series. Stay calm, stay focused, and give everything you have for one more period. Let's get this done, Avalanche!

Indistinguishable, except for the suit.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm honestly not even upset. Disappointed? Sure. But they didn't roll over and die at the very least. The boys got dealt a shit hand for Game 4 and almost pushed it to 7 after being down 3-1. F*** Nishushkin and his selfish ass. We were already struggling this series and he royally f***ed over the team.

Georgiev certainly redeemed himself in my eyes. He kept us in this series when we didn't belong. Hats off to him.
Yeah. Losing to Stars sucks but no shame in that, at least we didn’t roll over. They are the cup favourites of the West

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
It's going to be a shock to a lot of people when Landy never sees meaningful ice time again and just retires.

Reactions: Mules

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My problem with Colton is he doesn't win faceoffs, he doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't play PP (due to our top unit playing it all), and he can't ever be asked to take a defensive matchup because he'll get slaughtered.

So what's he good for? Occasional physicality?

I would love if they found a way to shed his salary this offseason. I don't like that contract one bit.
He can PK but Bednar has to go with it. He’s a crash and bang guy who will be around 20-20.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Duchene1.jpg

Reactions: katfude and Mules

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
Well, at least Landy didn't blow out his knee in a meaningless way

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Walker is the one I'd be glad to never see again. Outside of one game against the Jets he was just plain awful. We can find a better bottom pairing D-man elsewhere.

Hopefully we can keep Drouin though. He may be willing to take a cheaper contract to stay with Mack and go for a Cup.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
It’s a number of factors. Wood and Colton don’t have the puckhandling abilities to play the way the Avs want them to play. Rantanen has 10000000000% committed to never moving his feet. Nuke can’t stay clean, and there’s the ongoing mystery of whether Landy ever plays again.

It really feels like they need to do a hard reset. Keep MacK and Makar and then move whatever pieces you need to build a cohesive team
JTC at 5.1 million and keeping the assets they gave up for Colton would've been better.

JTC can score some. He can win a faceoff. He can play special teams.

Colton sometimes throws a hit.

Reactions: MacKaRant

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
I can’t see any team beating Florida.
But I thought this year Avs will finally win game 7 lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad