GDT: Avalanche vs Jets 12/07/23 @ Ball Arena. Flying forward into the unknown! (Emergency GDT)

Who would win in an all out brawl?

• Total voters

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I normally don't get too emotional but I did the other night. I mean, just such a complete lack of give a f*** from so many players at the same time I found myself actually getting pissed and am sure that came through on some of my posts here.
I share the sentiment, the team is frustrating this year. Last year the season was frustrating but not the team as much.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Well, I'd say he was decent but I don't know if he was exactly stellar either. There were a lot of muffed passes and fanned shots in addition to the occasional goals.

So far the power play as a whole has been horribly one-dimensional. If they're not scoring off Nuke deflections from Makar point shots, they're just not scoring.
Having such a poor PP with the talent available is a f***ing travesty. Bennett is lucky the Avs are not in a huge hockey market because the pressure would be unbearable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This loss reminded me of the Seattle losses. No Landy, no Val, no Lehky. Jets were playing well defensively, and Hellebuyck was stopping everything he saw.

Avs needed an ugly goal, or a screen, or a rebound goal, or a tip, but they were missing all their best net front presence guys. Even the PP looked out of sorts without Val, who’s become a big part of the PP.

Terrible screen by Malinski on the goal, but I really didn’t like Georgiev looking up at him and swatting him in the leg. Goaltenders should never embarrass their teammates for mistakes on the ice. Save your frustrations for the locker room.

Toews has got to get his act in order if he's gonna play on the top pair and get a raise to $7M. If he was wearing #4 this year, he’d be getting absolutely trashed by fans here most nights. He has a habit of playing too soft when it matters. Not strong enough on his stick to tie up a guy with a loose puck. Not boxing out the front of the net. Soft effort on a pass that results in a turnover like the goal tonight, because he felt pressure on him. These things happen far too often the last year or so. He got his big contract, he needs to get it going now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Goaltenders should never embarrass their teammates for mistakes on the ice. Save your frustrations for the locker room.
Disagreed, it's the NHL. You are getting yelled by our coaches, getting roasted in social media (and at HFAvs)... Tough shit.

The problem is that everyone else could've been warranted to vent their frustration on easy goals let up by Georgie this season. Thus, he's not in a position to bitch on his D-men about 1 goal, even if it's on Malinski for making a perfect screen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Disagreed, it's the NHL. You are getting yelled by our coaches, getting roasted in social media (and at HFAvs)... Tough shit.

The problem is that everyone else could've been warranted to vent their frustration on easy goals let up by Georgie this season. Thus, he's not in a position to bitch on his D-men about 1 goal, even if it's on Malinski for making a perfect screen.

I agree on pretty much all of this. Just do it in the room, not in front of a full arena and countless fans watching on TV.

Kind of an unwritten rule for goalies not to embarrass their teammates. Even just staring at them after a mistake is kind of frowned upon.

I think George has had some issues with soft goals this year , but I don't think he's been quite as bad as some think. All the soft goals have pretty much been iffy goals, or not making a big save kind of goals. Not really egregious goals against. And his stats are still skewed from when the team was playing worse.

He needs to step it up a bit in those big moments though where they they need those saves.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Do you guys even listen to yourselves complaining?

Everyone here - and likely the Avs FO - felt that Georgiev had the skills to be a starter, and an even below average starter would be fine behind this awe-inspiring defense. However....everyone here continually complains about Girard, Byram, Manson, JMFJ and the lack of forwards backchecking. So which is it? Great defense or crap defense?

I've been watching and playing for 50 years, and never have I seen a goalie hung out to dry as often as Georgiev has this season. I honestly cannot think of a game ( even the 8-2 and 6-0 games) where less than 50% of the goals were the fault of shoddy defense or complete brain-fart. I'd also submit that while Georgiev does give up a marshmallow here and there, he is nowhere as bad as Kuemper or Grubauer in that regard.

It was brought up earlier, and my apologies to the poster whom I have forgotten. On a team filled with players screwing up and hamstringing Georgiev, the unparalleled King is Toews. Yesterday's game was downright criminal, but Toews has been the cause of more than a dozen goalie screw-jobs this season.
Yup, been saying it for a long time now. Toews is living off reputation at the moment. He hasnt been all world since the run.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I agree on pretty much all of this. Just do it in the room, not in front of a full arena and countless fans watching on TV.
I disagree with this too. It's a natural, instant reaction here. I think it would be worse if the guy was stewing it for the rest of the period then blowing up in the locker room. At least this one is just pure instant frustration.

Besides, we see coaches yell at players all the time, teammates yelling at eachother during the game isn't all that uncommon either. And yes, I'm going to use another MacKinnon example (and yes, he has more clout than Georgiev), remember the exchange he and Bednar had years ago?

In normal work, showing these type of disagreements in front of customers would be very stupid, I agree. But it's sports, what matters is winning. Thus, it doesn't really matter all that much what we think of the situation as long as it's fine in the locker room. And like I said, having a snap reaction is not as bad as blasting someone behind the scenes when there is time. At least that's my opinion.

and Vezinas

Not everyone liked Roy I'm sure...they just wouldn't confront him for obvious reasons.
And the same goes to MacKinnon too I guess. But I don't get the sense that Georgiev is in anyway rejected by his teammates with the Avs (nor MacKinnon lol).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I disagree with this too. It's a natural, instant reaction here. I think it would be worse if the guy was stewing it for the rest of the period then blowing up in the locker room. At least this one is just pure instant frustration.

Besides, we see coaches yell at players all the time, teammates yelling at eachother during the game isn't all that uncommon either. And yes, I'm going to use another MacKinnon example (and yes, he has more clout than Georgiev), remember the exchange he and Bednar had years ago?

In normal work, showing these type of disagreements in front of customers would be very stupid, I agree. But it's sports, what matters is winning. Thus, it doesn't really matter all that much what we think of the situation as long as it's fine in the locker room. And like I said, having a snap reaction is not as bad as blasting someone behind the scenes when there is time. At least that's my opinion.

Being an understandable or instant reaction doesn't make it right though. Adults shouldn't be letting every impulsive reaction come to the surface and act out on it.

Coaches yelling at players is very different. That's an expected part of their role. Even skaters yelling at other skaters is different, but that would get frowned upon too. Like the times Nate has scolded a teammate too much during a game. That time with Bednar he got ripped for it by most fans and felt really bad afterwards.

It's just different for goalies. Always has been. Like I said, it's even frowned upon to stare at a teammate for a mistake after a goal. Even Roy didn't really do it.

Teammates don't have to get along and there should be some accountability for each other's mistakes on a good team. But pretty much everyone does it in the room, instead of publicly.

To his credit though, it sounds like George realized this after the moment, and took ownership of his mistake. That's a good sign.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
People should listen to any old Forsberg interview where the team lost and he played bad. Not a word about the team, just that he had to be better and didn’t get the job done.

And 95% of those games Forsberg didn't even play bad. He just wasn't good enough to help the team win. Just like Cale.

Like that story his dad told about Peter coming home crying after an 8-7 loss only to find out he scored all 7 goals.

The real competitors just want to win. And if they don't they're pissed. That's why Nate had his "I haven't won shit" comments the year before they won the Cup, and why Cale is putting the blame on himself for playing a game that most defenseman would take in a heartbeat, but was a little below his usual standard because he's probably still banged up, despite saying he's fine.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
As usual it is pretty rough around here after a loss. I refuse to get in the "sky is falling" group. This team is better than a lot of people here make it out to be. Nuke should be back next game. Lehky has started skating today so he should be back sooner than later.

With that said RJ is even more of a concern than I thought he would be. They might has well be playing only 4 guys when his line is on the ice. Not even an iota of effort anymore.

Drouin is playing well though so that is a plus.

Tatar has moments but overall he has been very underwhelming. I wasn't expecting too much from him anyway. There is a reason he is only being paid 1.5M.

I did not like George reaction on Malinski especially when considering the way he has been tending the net. Start by being better yourself before ripping on rookie. Helping instead by talking to him.

We are still 6th in the league and that's with the injuries we have had and two of our stars being very average by their standards. Yes Mack has good production but until two games ago he was not scoring and was playing pretty bad. Mikko has been horrible for at least the last 15 games. If Mack keeps going the way he is now, Mikko wakes up, Nuke back, and then also add Lehky hopefully in a week or two, this team could take a huge leap forwards. Hopefully G can come back in a not so distant future. We have missed him a lot. It would also be nice if Toews and Byram could play better.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As usual it is pretty rough around here after a loss. I refuse to get in the "sky is falling" group. This team is better than a lot of people here make it out to be. Nuke should be back next game. Lehky has started skating today so he should be back sooner than later.

With that said RJ is even more of a concern than I thought he would be. They might has well be playing only 4 guys when his line is on the ice. Not even an iota of effort anymore.

Drouin is playing well though so that is a plus.

Tatar has moments but overall he has been very underwhelming. I wasn't expecting too much from him anyway. There is a reason he is only being paid 1.5M.

I did not like George reaction on Malinski especially when considering the way he has been tending the net. Start by being better yourself before ripping on rookie. Helping instead by talking to him.

We are still 6th in the league and that's with the injuries we have had and two of our stars being very average by their standards. Yes Mack has good production but until two games ago he was not scoring and was playing pretty bad. Mikko has been horrible for at least the last 15 games. If Mack keeps going the way he is now, Mikko wakes up, Nuke back, and then also add Lehky hopefully in a week or two, this team could take a huge leap forwards. Hopefully G can come back in a not so distant future. We have missed him a lot. It would also be nice if Toews and Byram could play better.
Sky be falling if they drop the next 2 and even then. Meh. This team will be judged in the playoffs if they make it. Whats funny is they are a top 10 team in the league and they really havent played all that well. Maybe the soft schedule but hey you can only play who they put in front of you.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The team is at a stage where how they play is far more important than the 2 points. It's much better to play well and lose than to play like shit and win. We finished first in the conference last year.

Also the team is never, ever, fully healthy so please for the love of God stop counting on that. Lehky, Nuke and Girard will come back but Rants, Toews and Mack will at one point go down to make up for it. It's always like that.

In other words, the team needs to play well. I don't give two shits if they lose because too many players are missing, the players that are dressed need to start playing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Just realized this but is Mackinnon leading the league in 5v5 scoring again?? Pretty sure Guenztel has a bunch of empty net points

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Do you guys even listen to yourselves complaining?

Everyone here - and likely the Avs FO - felt that Georgiev had the skills to be a starter, and an even below average starter would be fine behind this awe-inspiring defense. However....everyone here continually complains about Girard, Byram, Manson, JMFJ and the lack of forwards backchecking. So which is it? Great defense or crap defense?

I've been watching and playing for 50 years, and never have I seen a goalie hung out to dry as often as Georgiev has this season. I honestly cannot think of a game ( even the 8-2 and 6-0 games) where less than 50% of the goals were the fault of shoddy defense or complete brain-fart. I'd also submit that while Georgiev does give up a marshmallow here and there, he is nowhere as bad as Kuemper or Grubauer in that regard.

It was brought up earlier, and my apologies to the poster whom I have forgotten. On a team filled with players screwing up and hamstringing Georgiev, the unparalleled King is Toews. Yesterday's game was downright criminal, but Toews has been the cause of more than a dozen goalie screw-jobs this season.
Sorry calling BS.

We out chance and out high danger chance almost every team we match.

The simple fact is that George is letting in at minimum 1 bad goal every game most nights it's more like 2. If you've been watching hockey for that long you should understand how big a back breaker and how far behind the 8 ball you are putting your team when you aren't making saves you should.

I mean look at Winnipeg we lose essentially 3-2. And the reason we lose 3-2 is because George somehow manages to let in that soft as charmin turn around shot from Connor 30 seconds into the 2nd. I mean he's 30 feet from the net with minimal to no traffic in front of him and he just whiffs on it.

We outshot, probably out chanced Winnipeg. George just let in a soft one and Hellebuyck didn't.

Sure we can look at the stinkers and say we hung him out to dry and that would be the case. But those are outliers.

Most nights we are no worse than any other team in terms of giving up high end chances. George just isn't making big saves other teams goalies are. Couple that with the inevitable bad goal against and margins to win games becomes very tight.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I share the sentiment, the team is frustrating this year. Last year the season was frustrating but not the team as much.
I agree the team has really gone from we are going to out work you every night until you break, to let's see how little effort we can put in and still try to win in just 1.25 seasons.

When we won the Cup we broke most teams will to compete. But just skating circles around them.

Now we are lucky if 5 guys show up with good effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad