GDT: Avalanche vs Ducks 12/05/23 7:00PM @ Ball Arena. Too many ducks. (Emergency GDT)

Cheese?

• What?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes!

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Ew no!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheeeeeeeeeese!!!!!

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah he's been much better the last two weeks. Only outright bad game of his I remember lately was Vancouver... maybe Tampa. Last night was a glimpse into who he used to be.
When he can skate and use his size to win puck battles, that's when he's at his best. Injuries definitely blunt his effectiveness. I'm convinced there was something nagging him at the start of the season because even in a third pairing role he was atrocious. I think they alluded to as much but can't quite remember.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm just convinced Mikko's battling through some sort of injury until I hear otherwise. The way he's moving out there just doesn't look right, especially on the power play where he's turned into a goddamn sea cucumber.
Lol, yep let's blame injury for 96 not giving a shit. Seems fair... any other player plays like he has I guarantee you'd call them out.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Maybe force Mikko into playing 2C and see if that gets him motivated and moving his feet. Could solve 2 problems at once if it works out.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think Mikko's issues are between the ears or wherever motivation comes from. He's just doesn't stay motivated until he sees an opportunity then he goes full Moose. I'd like to see him create more opportunities through motivated play. That's why I've always been against him and Nate being locked together. They coast too much and rely on the overall talent of them and Cale and Devon as a unit, instead of pushing themselves individually. I don't believe that motivation is holding either of the dmen back, but I do think it's affecting Mikko and was affecting Nate this season until recently. Nate's biggest problem though has been his low shooting percentage compared to his career average. It was 3% lower at one point.

Reactions: NMAvsman

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Let's give Manson a shout, he's had some hiccups in each game, but he's played very well for the past two weeks now.

Yep. I thought last night was his best game in an Avs sweater overall.

He's been solid the last few games. Much closer to the Dman we should expect to be seeing every night given the contract we gave him.

That said, he's basically gotta play like this for the entire year and not miss any time for injury for his contract to not still be the worst on the team by far.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
I think Mikko's issues are between the ears or wherever motivation comes from. He's just doesn't stay motivated until he sees an opportunity then he goes full Moose. I'd like to see him create more opportunities through motivated play. That's why I've always been against him and Nate being locked together. They coast too much and rely on the overall talent of them and Cale and Devon as a unit, instead of pushing themselves individually. I don't believe that motivation is holding either of the dmen back, but I do think it's affecting Mikko and was affecting Nate this season until recently. Nate's biggest problem though has been his low shooting percentage compared to his career average. It was 3% lower at one point.
I could not have stated this better. He needs to drive a line....be the one responsible. Otherwise, he defers and coasts.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Mikko but he was far and away the worst player for Colorado tonight.
I'm just convinced Mikko's battling through some sort of injury until I hear otherwise.
I don't believe that he's injured at all.

He used to play like that every 3 or 4 games...but now it's dogshit every game and he can't snap out of it. He still makes points, though.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So now that we've had a few hours to digest it all, what where everyone's thoughts on the line combinations and what would you like to see moving forward?

I think the top line needed to be jerked around a bit to try and snap them out of their 5v5 funk but I just can't see LOC surviving a full season or playoffs in the top six and it actually working long-term. Short-term he can certainly help up there with board battles and forechecking but he is limited offensively.

Once we get Lehky back, I'd still like to see:

Drouin-MacK-Lehky
Nuke-RyJo-Rants
Wood-Colton-LOC
4th line (I'm starting to wonder who I like the most here now...we've actually got options.)

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol, yep let's blame injury for 96 not giving a shit. Seems fair... any other player plays like he has I guarantee you'd call them out.
I already HAVE called him out. I'm well aware he has motivation issues, just seems like his movement seems really stunted right now. Regardless of whether he's hurt or not, he definitely needs to play better.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I already HAVE called him out. I'm well aware he has motivation issues, just seems like his movement seems really stunted right now. Regardless of whether he's hurt or not, he definitely needs to play better.
Jumping to injury with no indication of there being one is giving him a pass on his beyond pathetic play.

There has been nothing to indicate an injury, he's played every game and by all accounts has been at every single practice. Not even a maintenance day.

He's simply just lazy and lackadaisical right now. This play is overly cute and not simple and he's completely overthinking everything.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Was at the game, but have been to busy to get my thoughts together.

MacDermid is the f***ing man, I know he sucks but there is no player on the team I celebrate harder for when they score.

Mikko... wtf. All I gotta say about that.

Byram's hit was legal for sure, no idea what he was doing puck watching like that. I am glad to hear he isn't out for head stuff.

Overall the lazy play in the third was rough to watch, but the Ducks fan in front of me who celebrated like his team won the cup when they scored on that 5v3 deserves the shit talk he got when the Avs won. Like f*** you dude, your team is dogshit and your in the very front of a bunch of hardcore avs fans celebrating like a dick head.

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Was at the game, but have been to busy to get my thoughts together.

MacDermid is the f***ing man, I know he sucks but there is no player on the team I celebrate harder for when they score.

Mikko... wtf. All I gotta say about that.

Byram's hit was legal for sure, no idea what he was doing puck watching like that. I am glad to hear he isn't out for head stuff.

Overall the lazy play in the third was rough to watch, but the Ducks fan in front of me who celebrated like his team won the cup when they scored on that 5v3 deserves the shit talk he got when the Avs won. Like f*** you dude, your team is dogshit and your in the very front of a bunch of hardcore avs fans celebrating like a dick head.
I'm not 100% positive but I have been led to believe that even some of the harshest critics of the enforcer role still enjoyed seeing MacDermid accept a pass with his foot, kick it to his stick and roof it from in close, top bar and down.

I even joked that he should be in the bumper spot on PP2. Big body, can blind the goalie, would be hard to move. I have no idea how good he would be at tipping shots though. I wouldn't think he'd be all that good at it, but the fact remains, even if he is a blind squirrel he's finding more than his expected share of occasional nuts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy shit are we playing the ducks again?

You had me for a second. So sick of playing that team already for some reason.

Reminds me of the covid season having to play the same teams all the time. Everyone thought it was a refreshing idea at first and it would help build rivalries, but by the end of the season, most people were stick of playing the same teams over and over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad