Avalanche have won only 5 of past 27 games

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's been an utterly pathetic collapse. I don't expect management will do anything about it, and certainly not ownership anything about management. Which is unfortunate since both management and coaching (and scouting...) should be cleaned out considering they oversaw 2016/17 as well. But I expect none of that will happen. Passive Joe will continue to rule the roost, scouting will continue to be incompetent, and Bednar -- a decent enough coach but one who clearly isn't good enough for this team -- will get another crack next season most likely.

The top line was overplayed the first half of the season and is pretty clearly burnt out, mentally and physically. The rest of the forward group, aside from Soda, who is awesome, is a pathetic group of passengers -- that was plain as day all offseason and Sakic did nothing about it. The defense has no #1 D, has two inconsistent younger players (Z, Girard), a couple of bottom pairing plugs (Nemeth, Cole), an aging top pairing D, and an awesome #3. And goaltending has been a joke.

Unfortunately I think management, like many fans, has jumped aboard the 'draft picks and prospects (aka Makar) will save us' train. Wonder the over / under on ~two years until someone else burns out and pulls a Duchene from sheer burnout and frustration with the losing culture that has enveloped the organization.

This is all coming from a remarkably hacked off fan who saw some of this crap coming all offseason so keep in mind it might not be 100% rational.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
5 of 27. What a ******ed sample size. Try to even pick some round numbers to not appear cherry picking some stats that support your agenda.
I mean it was a stat I seen, so the agenda, if there was one is someone else’s.

Also, all streaks, good are bad are always stretched to thier extreme.

Player has 8 goals in past 13 games
Team has 1 PP goal in past 7 games
Goalie is winless in 9
Team has collected pts in 14 of past 17 games

Have you never noted this before?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Has goaltending been the biggest issue for this team?
Goaltending has been the main culprit for the most part, but the games where they get passable goaltending the team ****s the bed a different way like today.

This club even with all issues it has is still better than their record says, but they have completely given up at this point and that's the worst sign.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I mean it was a stat I seen, so the agenda, if there was one is someone else’s.

Also, all streaks, good are bad are always stretched to thier extreme.

Player has 8 goals in past 13 games
Team has 1 PP goal in past 7 games
Goalie is winless in 9
Team has collected pts in 14 of past 17 games

Have you never noted this before?

Yes, I’ve noted that journalists and hockey fans alike constantly use hyperbole and cherry picked garbage stats to support their agenda, whether it is to make someone look bad or to pump their tires.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yes, I’ve noted that journalists and hockey fans alike constantly use hyperbole and cherry picked garbage stats to support their agenda, whether it is to make someone look bad or to pump their tires.
Dont be so emotional about it. Honestly, it’s not that. It’s always been like this, in any sport only to emphasize the extremes of the streak, be it a positive streak or a negative one.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Changing the sample size from 27 to 30 isn't going to change that the Avs have sucked. Especially since they've only won 8 games in their last 30(if my math is right).

You really exposed that "agenda" the OP was pushing.
I did, actually. It wasn’t enough for him to show the avs have won only 27% of their last 30, he had to push it further, only 19% of their last 27!! Wow! They really suck guys! Let’s discuss!

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I did, actually. It wasn’t enough for him to show the avs have won only 27% of their last 30, he had to push it further, only 19% of their last 27!! Wow! They really suck guys! Let’s discuss!

HF should give out awards for this level of civil service.

you-set-the-bar-too-damn-high.jpg

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why do you keep saying he?

As I said, this is a stat I saw, not purposely researched. And, like any stat that emphasizes the extremes of any streak, it seemed normal to me and to 99% of any sports fan who seen streaks laid in similar fashion thousands of times.

I’m a Habs fan who lives in Toronto. What on earth could possibly be the case where I’d have an agenda against the Colorado Avalanche?

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I remember reading a post either in the summer or early in the season where a poster was concerned because Colorado had two #1 goalies.

Reactions: The Macho Man

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs goaltending has fallen apart and with it the rest of the team which further exposed their lack of depth..

Also Jared Bednar twice now has been at the helm of an epic in-season collapse. If he can't turn it around in the last 25 games, he clearly has to be shown the door.

I will state it again. This sub and the hockey world in general is crazily undervaluing good coaching.

Leafs hire Babcock after finally fixing their management and all of a sudden they look like a powerhouse after years of suckage.

Islanders were pinned to compete with the Canadiens and the Sens for last place. What happened? Trotz happened... And Julien to a lesser degree....

Vegas should have finished last the previous season. What happened? Gallant happened....

Philly all of a sudden going on a hot streak after getting rid of Hakstol? Surprise....

STL bounces back big time after firing an inept coach in Yeo? Surprise...

And so on....

Roster building and asset management is incredibly important. There are certain dumpster fires that are very hard to turn around for any coach in one year. Oilers might be such a case right now.

Still. One constant alongside nepotism and bad drafting for the Avs over the last decade has been rookie coaches that turned out to be bad...

The results have been accordingly...

The Avs shouldn't throw money at Stone, Panarin, etc at all this offseason. Ultimately these guys won't put us over the hump and only clog up our capsituation longterm.

What they should do is throw money at Q and hope that he like Denver/Colorado enough to forget about the bad blood spilled when he got blamed for a completely bled dry roster in his first go-around with the Avs...

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany

Given that the sample size (also sounding a bit arbitrary) spans more than a quarter of the season, it’s really not cherry picking. Why so upset? Is that you, Mr. Bednar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad