Kevin Macierzynski
Daniel Obersteiner
Philipp Poschmann
Armin Preiser
Finn Van Ee
Leon Wallner

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
I'm really amazed by Roger Bader's way of selecting this team. Every single season there is one star player less, but he invites Nikolaus Kraus, Philipp Pöschmann, Armin Preiser, etc...

GuiLef14

Apr 25, 2022
Vienna
Yes, Bader tends to try out every single Austrian player that is eligible for the National team at least once. Especially his rosters in the November and February breaks are a bit questionable.

But for this first training camp roster for the WC players from Red Bull Salzburg, Vienna Capitals and VSV were unavailable. Also a few of our players in other leagues still played in the playoffs.

Right now, a few weeks into training camp, the roster looks much more like the one we'll see in Finland. Yesterday Austria beat Italy 5:0 (could've been a much higher win) with the following line-up:

Starkbaum

Unterweger - Kirchschläger
Heinrich - Zündel
B. Wolf - Schnetzer
Kragl - Vallant

Ganahl - Haudum - Lebler
T. Raffl - Nissner - Schneider
Zwerger - Baumgartner - Feldner
Wukovits - Rauchenwald - P. Huber

Starkbaum will probably our No. 1 goalie, Kickert will get the other games. On defence David Maier will slot in and Bader also hopes that Thimo Nickl will recover in time and be ready. So the top 6 would probably be Unterweger, Heinrich, Zündel, B. Wolf, Maier, Nickl with Kirchschläger/Schnetzer/Vallant as the 7th D.
And up front Marco Kasper will join the team and maybe Patrick Obrist. Michael Raffl won't come, even if Dallas looses in the first playoff round. And I'd guess that Rossi doesn't get the permission to play from Minnesota as they'll probably keep him with the team during their playoff stretch.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes, Bader tends to try out every single Austrian player that is eligible for the National team at least once. Especially his rosters in the November and February breaks are a bit questionable.

But for this first training camp roster for the WC players from Red Bull Salzburg, Vienna Capitals and VSV were unavailable. Also a few of our players in other leagues still played in the playoffs.

Right now, a few weeks into training camp, the roster looks much more like the one we'll see in Finland. Yesterday Austria beat Italy 5:0 (could've been a much higher win) with the following line-up:

Starkbaum

Unterweger - Kirchschläger
Heinrich - Zündel
B. Wolf - Schnetzer
Kragl - Vallant

Ganahl - Haudum - Lebler
T. Raffl - Nissner - Schneider
Zwerger - Baumgartner - Feldner
Wukovits - Rauchenwald - P. Huber

Starkbaum will probably our No. 1 goalie, Kickert will get the other games. On defence David Maier will slot in and Bader also hopes that Thimo Nickl will recover in time and be ready. So the top 6 would probably be Unterweger, Heinrich, Zündel, B. Wolf, Maier, Nickl with Kirchschläger/Schnetzer/Vallant as the 7th D.
And up front Marco Kasper will join the team and maybe Patrick Obrist. Michael Raffl won't come, even if Dallas looses in the first playoff round. And I'd guess that Rossi doesn't get the permission to play from Minnesota as they'll probably keep him with the team during their playoff stretch.
Not Komarek from Luleå?

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Not Komarek from Luleå?
nor Hofer from Biel. This team severely lacks top end talent, not 3rd or 4th line grinders (or sometimes only fill-ins) that Bader seems to test all the time and ICEHL does such good job "developing".

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
FRNwmoDXsAAfXsX

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa
First training camp roster

David Madlener
Leon Sommer
Florian Vorauer

Daniel Jakubitzka
Michael Kernberger
Erik Kirchschlager
Gerd Kragl
Luis Lindner
Ramon Schnetzer
Kele Steffler
Clemens Unterweger
Philipp Wimmer

Sam Antonitsch
Lukas Bar
Niklas Bretschneider
Nico Feldner
Manuel Ganahl
Lukas Haudum
Nikolaus Kraus
Kevin Macierzynski
Daniel Obersteiner
Philipp Poschmann
Armin Preiser
Finn Van Ee
Leon Wallner
Never heard of any of them.

Some names sound like watch brands

GuiLef14

Apr 25, 2022
Vienna
Will there be spots left open for Marco Rossi and Michael Raffl, should they become available?
No. Rossi is done for the season with an undisclosed injury and Raffl already confirmed he won‘t come, even if Dallas looses in the first round.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Austria looked good vs SWE, FIN, CZE. Of course these were just pre-tournament games, but still, they were looking competitive. Good skating in particular.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Tell me please, Why not in the team ? Strong, Hofer, Komarek, Schumnig, Kasper, Herburger, Pallestrang?
Kasper will join.

Komarek, Hofer, Herburger should be on the list, but aren't. Bader doesn't like players playing effectively in top european leagues. Either ICEHL or swiss 2nd tier bottom 6 players are his thing.

Other Ds are nothing to write home about, Pallestrang is probably winding it down.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I assume they can add Komarek later after his season is over, no? There is no point of adding him before he can even join the team.

Levshunov

May 7, 2022
Minsk, Belarus
Kasper will join.

Komarek, Hofer, Herburger should be on the list, but aren't. Bader doesn't like players playing effectively in top european leagues. Either ICEHL or swiss 2nd tier bottom 6 players are his thing.

Other Ds are nothing to write home about, Pallestrang is probably winding it down.
Is Stefan Ulmer injured? I don't understand the logic of the coach, players from top European leagues, not on prominent roles in their clubs.

GuiLef14

Apr 25, 2022
Vienna
Tell me please, Why not in the team ? Strong, Hofer, Komarek, Schumnig, Kasper, Herburger, Pallestrang?
Strong - Injured
Hofer - Already ended his national team career
Komarek - Still in the SHL Finals (but probably not invited anyway as he and Bader don't get along very well with each other)
Schuming - Not invited (but that's okay as therefore some younger right shot defenceman with perspective for the future like Maier and Zündel gets a chance)
Kasper - With the team now
Herburger - Don't know honestly
Pallestrang - Moves from Salzburg to Vorarlberg this spring, because he's leaving the Red Bull Organization and said he'd rather have time for this and for his family.
Stefan Ulmer - Injured

So for most of these guys it wasn't Baders decision that they are not part of the team. Speaking of the team, today was the final cut (Kragl and Schwinger), so the 25 man roster for Finland is:

GOALTENDER: Starkbaum, Kickert, Madlener
DEFENCE: Brunner, Hackl, Heinrich, Kirchschläger, Maier, Unterweger, Wimmer, B. Wolf, Zündel
OFFENCE: Achermann, Baumgartner, Feldner, Ganahl, Haudum, P. Huber, Kasper, Lebler, Nissner, Th. Raffl, Schneider, Wukovits, Zwerger

Like BigBadBoar already said, the pre-tournament games were very decent from Austria. I really liked the aggressive forechecking. Also the addition of Arno del Curto to the coaching stuff was a good move. He's always standing directly at the boards and gives instant feedback to the guys coming off the ice. I think they appreciate it. Hopefully he'll be with the team in Finland as well.

The really important thing will be that the team is 100% ready to give everything in the games that count for us. Meaning the games against Norway and Great Britain.

Reactions: Levshunov

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Strong - Injured
Hofer - Already ended his national team career
Komarek - Still in the SHL Finals (but probably not invited anyway as he and Bader don't get along very well with each other)
Schuming - Not invited (but that's okay as therefore some younger right shot defenceman with perspective for the future like Maier and Zündel gets a chance)
Kasper - With the team now
Herburger - Don't know honestly
Pallestrang - Moves from Salzburg to Vorarlberg this spring, because he's leaving the Red Bull Organization and said he'd rather have time for this and for his family.
Stefan Ulmer - Injured

So for most of these guys it wasn't Baders decision that they are not part of the team. Speaking of the team, today was the final cut (Kragl and Schwinger), so the 25 man roster for Finland is:

GOALTENDER: Starkbaum, Kickert, Madlener
DEFENCE: Brunner, Hackl, Heinrich, Kirchschläger, Maier, Unterweger, Wimmer, B. Wolf, Zündel
OFFENCE: Achermann, Baumgartner, Feldner, Ganahl, Haudum, P. Huber, Kasper, Lebler, Nissner, Th. Raffl, Schneider, Wukovits, Zwerger

Like BigBadBoar already said, the pre-tournament games were very decent from Austria. I really liked the aggressive forechecking. Also the addition of Arno del Curto to the coaching stuff was a good move. He's always standing directly at the boards and gives instant feedback to the guys coming off the ice. I think they appreciate it. Hopefully he'll be with the team in Finland as well.

The really important thing will be that the team is 100% ready to give everything in the games that count for us. Meaning the games against Norway and Great Britain.
WIll Kasper be in the top 6?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It's not that there couldn't conceivably be a better top 6 because of course there could be. However, I'm really uninterested in seeing the old guard run it back over and over again. We've seen that movie, we know how it goes. While we're still missing some promising youngsters, and we still have some old guard members that I'm not keen non seeing again, this is a good somewhat-transitional roster.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It's not that there couldn't conceivably be a better top 6 because of course there could be. However, I'm really uninterested in seeing the old guard run it back over and over again. We've seen that movie, we know how it goes. While we're still missing some promising youngsters, and we still have some old guard members that I'm not keen non seeing again, this is a good somewhat-transitional roster.
Rossi and Komarek joining would be huge boost.

Zwerger - Rossi - Schneider
Haudum - Baumgartner - Komarek

Pretty good top 6

GuiLef14

Apr 25, 2022
Vienna
WIll Kasper be in the top 6?
I'd guess that Kasper will be in the top 6 in terms of pp minutes and and maybe time on ice in the decisive moments when we're behind 1 goal.

Against Germany Kasper played on a line with Ganahl and Haudum. This will probably his line at least at the beginning of the tournament. And he also got some pp time, where he took the spot in directly in front of the net. He could really do some damage there like he showed and did with Rögle this season.

GuiLef14

Apr 25, 2022
Vienna

Zwerger can't play. A big blow for our team. Simeon Schwinger replaces him.

The injury was caused by a hit from Seider during the game against Germany. Zwerger has already headed back home.

At least Nico Feldner now gets his chance. He deserves it after a really good training camp. Would probably have been the odd man out without this roster change. The line with him, Ganahl and Haudum worked fine in the exhibition games, so I guess we could see the following line-up:

Ganahl - Haudum - Feldner
Th. Raffl - Nissner - Schneider
Kasper - Baumgartner - Lebler
Wukovits - Achermann - Huber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad