Tennis: Australian Open 2023

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Big controversy last year over Djokovic's Covid status...none of that this year. And he should come in as the heavy favorite.

Nadal is the defending champion, but he hasn't looked great in the warmup event. I would be shocked if he defended here. Honestly, I don't expect a deep run from him.

World #1, Alcaraz, will miss due to injury, so Nadal will be the #1 seed.

On the women's side, last year's champion Ash Barty shocked everyone when she retired on top after winning.

So we'll have a new champion...Swiatek will come in as #1 and large favorite. She dominated 2022 and sits with more than double the points in the rankings than world #2 Jabeur.

A different winner than Swiatek wouldn't shock me. I think there are a handful of ladies (top 10 and beyond) that could win this tournament. I wouldn't put big money down on Swiatek...I think I would take the field.

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sebov is the last Canadian standing in qualifying. She is one win away from her first GS MD appearance.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draws are out.

Auger-Aliassime vs Pospisil...ugh of course.
Shapovalov vs Lajovic

Andresscu vs Bouzkova
Marino vs Zhu
Fernandez vs Cornet
Sebov vs Garcia...brutal draw for her.

Nadal gets Draper in R1. That should be interesting.
Swiatek get Niemeier R1

Tough way to open for both #1 seeds.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa's draw looks monstrous unless he hits the ground running which hasn't exactly been the case lately. He starts with a potentially devastating one/two punch of Draper followed by Nakashima with possible matches along the way with Nishioka, Khachanov, Tiafoe, Medvedev, Tsitsipas and Nole. Ouch.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Rafa's draw looks monstrous unless he hits the ground running which hasn't exactly been the case lately. He starts with a potentially devastating one/two punch of Draper followed by Nakashima with possible matches along the way with Nishioka, Khachanov, Tiafoe, Medvedev, Tsitsipas and Nole. Ouch.

Djokovic, on the other hand, has a very nice draw. Assuming he's healthy (there are some questions), he shouldn't have much issue getting to the final.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Dream draw for Nole IMO. The 4 guys I believe that pose the biggest threat to him (Nadal, Med, FAA and Tsitsipas) are conveniently all on the other half of the bracket. With all due respect to Ruud, Rublev and Fritz, none of those guys are winning the AO this year.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fearless Predictions:

Medvedev over Shapovalov
Tsitsipas over Felix

Djokovic over Rune
Fritz over Berrettini

Tsitsipas over Medvedev
Djokovic over Fritz

Djokovic over Tsitsipas

Reactions: Tuggy

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Main draw matches start in less than an hour.

My money is on Djokovic (Bodog was nice enough to refund my Alcaraz bet which I immediately put towards a wager on Novak), but would love to see Krygios win the whole thing.

Got Swiatek on the women's side.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Frances with an interesting choice of attire. I thought it was a men's romper for a second...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix wobbling badly against Pospisil 1-6, 4-3, having just blown a break lead in the second set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kyrgios is out of the tournament, woah!
Arthroscopic knee surgery that can no longer be put off. He was in pain the last four days with it, his movement severely hampered. No way he could ignore it this time. What lousy timing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Felix wins the breaker, 7-4. Still tricky, though. Vasek knows every single micro-weakness in FAA's game and has been exploiting them with precision and power.

Oct 18, 2006
Swiatek superbly handles Niemeier who is very, very tricky. It wasn’t smooth sailing by any means, she had to fight really hard, but she stepped up when it mattered most.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Bianca looked great yesterday, as did Denis. I'm just getting ready to watch Felix. PVR is getting a workout these two weeks!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Fernandez with a nice start against a could be tricky opponent in Cornet.

Sebov just starting in her first ever GS MD match. Not easy against Garcia :laugh:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So you have to have ESPN+ to watch any night matches before the Semis, or find an illegal stream. Incredibly lame.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
AO has its opening round masterpiece. Murray defeats Berrettini in five grueling sets, 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7, 7-6 and it was just as exciting as that score line suggests. A fading Murray clinched the match on a lucky net cord return of serve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad