Tennis: Australian Open 2016 II

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Aussie open will always be favourite tournament
Impressive showing by Raonic

Wasn't sold on him coming into the tournament (didn't see his play in the tournament right be the Aussie where he beat Fed) but I am definitely a but higher in him now
His net game is still a but awkward at times, but considering his age, he has quite a bit of time to round that out

I await a grand slam final of Raonic - Nishikori some day :P
I think Nishikori's stock actually dropped this tournament. Or at least he reminded me, indelibly this time hopefully, of what I seem to always forget about him between tournaments: he is a ball of jello nerves just waiting to implode against those opponents who intimidate him. I don't think he has the mental make up necessary to win a Slam, though god knows, eventually somebody other than the usual suspects is going to have come forward, if only by default.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think Nishikori's stock actually dropped this tournament. Or at least he reminded me, indelibly this time hopefully, of what I seem to always forget about him between tournaments: he is a ball of jello nerves just waiting to implode against those opponents who intimidate him. I don't think he has the mental make up necessary to win a Slam, though god knows, eventually somebody other than the usual suspects is going to have come forward, if only by default.

It's funny because when he played Tsonga, he was in god mode. Then he played Nole and was crap.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I watched the junior championships, the boy's being the more interesting of the two. Oliver Anderson, an unseeded Aussie, defeated Jurabeck Karimov, a more flashy, but less consistent kid from Uzbekistan. Don't know why Anderson was unseeded as he has an opportunistic back court game and decent instincts. Some injury problems looked like it might cost him the match in the second set, but he won going away in the third.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Surprise, surprise. Kerber with the first break, 2-1....and consolidates, 3-1....3-3 as Kerber is playing great but her second serve undermines the rest of her game....another break from Kerber, 4-3, Serena is in a match....big test now for Angelique serving for the set...and holds at love, 6=4. Kerber played great tennis and Serena played uptight tennis.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Kerber's unforced errors are amazingly low. You have to think that Williams will up her game at some point. Kerber better be ready.

Argh, some worrying signs here. Kerber looking a little tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad