Tennis: Australian Open 2016 II

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I get the feeling that Nole has pretty much lapped the field. If anybody has the game to stay with him in a best of five set match, I don't know who that might be anymore. Murray is the closest, yet with the exception of Andy's willingness to take the net and maybe his backhand, Nole is just that little but significant amount better in all the facets of the game. Like I said earlier in the year, this is the best chance any male player has had for a calendar Grand Slam in at least the last 25 years. I'm certainly not retreating from that statement after tonight.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I like Murray's chances versus Djokovic on grass, but I think he's just too good for him on every other surface.

Must be frustrating as hell for Murray.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Djokovic as the GOAT of AO despite playing not at his best in the second and third set. Nole is the undisputed best ATM, I wonder if he's managed to get two times the ATP points over 2#.
Murray with too many errors, especially on clutch points. His final speech was touching, wish him all the best witht he new baby.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Hope Murray gets to his wife before she has the baby.

Anyone heard from Ser Woof since Serena's loss? Hope he's okay.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Didn't watch either final but congrats to Djokovic and Kerber.

With the win Novak is surely top 5 all-time now, and all eyes will be on him to see if he can complete the career grand slam at the French, though it's still over 4 months away.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Didn't watch either final but congrats to Djokovic and Kerber.

With the win Novak is surely top 5 all-time now, and all eyes will be on him to see if he can complete the career grand slam at the French, though it's still over 4 months away.
He's for sure in the demigod pantheon now, I'd say: Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Laver, Borg, Djokovic, Tilden.

I think the first four are locks in one order or another, and then #5 is the makings for a good argument between Borg, Djokovic and Tilden. But those arguments better happen in a hurry because by the end of the year Nole could be making a case for #2 all time behind Roger if he is lucky.

Note: I'm excluding Emerson who has 12 GS titles but many of those came as an amateur while his betters (principally Laver and Rosewall) were playing in the professional ranks and, thus, not allowed to enter GS competitions. There is no accurate record of his lifetime head to head record against Rosewall that I could find. But against the more researched Laver, Rod dominates 49-18, including 21-10 in finals, and 7-2 in Slams. I suspect his record against Rosewall would be very much in the same ball park at best (when I was a boy I remember top Aussies Rosewall and Lew Hoad constantly pounding on Emerson). After everybody turned pro and the Open era began in 1968, here is how Emerson fared against the field:

Rod Laver 1-14
Arthur Ashe 1-11
Ken Rosewall 1-5
Pancho Gonzales 0-1
John Newcombe 7-5
Tony Roche 4-3

Overall Record 14-39 (most info from Secadametrics's Blog)

The wild card player in any all-time ranking discussion is Pancho Gonzales, a rebel, who played as a professional most of his career and owned virtually everybody in his prime. I remember following him in 1969 over a two day period as he beat Charlie Pasarell 22-24 1-6 16-14 6-3 11-9, then by far the longest singles match of its time as well as one of the most formidable comebacks from two sets down in the history of the game. Pasarell was a US star at the time and 25 years old. Pancho was 41.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Novak has 2 main goals for the season: 1) French Open 2) Olympic Gold

Obviously, he wants to win everything he participates in, but 2016 is a success if those two are accomplished regardless of other results.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Hard not to feel for Murray

Murray has much bigger things on his plate right now, and the loss will be put in perspective real quick, if it hasn't already.

Murray fought hard right to the bitter end, and he should be proud of that, plus he gets a pretty handsome pay cheque for it.

I don't feel bad for him and neither should he.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I get the feeling that Nole has pretty much lapped the field. If anybody has the game to stay with him in a best of five set match, I don't know who that might be anymore. Murray is the closest, yet with the exception of Andy's willingness to take the net and maybe his backhand, Nole is just that little but significant amount better in all the facets of the game. Like I said earlier in the year, this is the best chance any male player has had for a calendar Grand Slam in at least the last 25 years. I'm certainly not retreating from that statement after tonight.

I would love to see him face the new Raonic. Wawrinka has beat him more than anyone the last 2 years lol

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I would love to see him face the new Raonic. Wawrinka has beat him more than anyone the last 2 years lol
You think Nole, the best returner in the game, would do worse than Murray facing the new Raonic? As for Wawrinka, yeah, he has beaten Nole more than anyone maybe, but he is still 2 and 4 against him in that time period, and 2 and 8 over their last ten meetings. I also think that one could well argue that Stan, at 30 years of age, though still dangerous, has peaked.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
For another loss.

Novak is on another level.

Roger was the Tiger. Novak is the Jordan.

What is the difference between tiger and jordan (generally speaking)? Both were the undisputed best players in their respective sport for a prolonged period of time.

Novak is the undisputed #1 of his sport for the first time since roger himself. It was Roger by himself, then he got older, and it became roger/novak/nadal, but its clearly novak by himself now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad